College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread

2 hours ago, bierce said:

Toppin seems a perfect fit IF he stays in college.  We won't know for sure about that for a month.

Unless you’re Kansas. When Storr committed to them he also took his name out of the draft. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just heard Coleman Hawkins soundbite where he indicated he wanted to go to a school where they had a good football team and that he wasn't going to play in the Big 10 or Big East.  Does RT make some phone calls to get 7 figures rounded up?   Maybe the money (and a little extra) they saved on Toppin  goes to Hawkins.   Here's hoping.....

13 minutes ago, Brian Berg said:

Just heard Coleman Hawkins soundbite where he indicated he wanted to go to a school where they had a good football team and that he wasn't going to play in the Big 10 or Big East.  Does RT make some phone calls to get 7 figures rounded up?   Maybe the money (and a little extra) they saved on Toppin  goes to Hawkins.   Here's hoping.....

If they didn't want to pay 7 figures for Toppin, or couldn't, what makes you think they will for Hawkins?

27 minutes ago, Brian Berg said:

See Gerry’s comments on this. No way. I always love to be surprised though. 

2 minutes ago, Neil Leininger said:

Neither Toppin or Hawkins are worth 7 figures. If they were worth 7 figures they would have stayed in the draft and signed a TW contact which in most cases is 7 figs.

However Texas is expected to beat the teams they end up signing with. How can RT be expected to win against teams with higher NILs consistently? 

11 minutes ago, Neil Leininger said:

Neither Toppin or Hawkins are worth 7 figures. If they were worth 7 figures they would have stayed in the draft and signed a TW contact which in most cases is 7 figs.

Probably not worth 7 figures but Tech is paying Toppin  between 1 and 1.5 and Hawkins will get a little more probably.   Desperate teams will pay 

23 minutes ago, Jordan91 said:

However Texas is expected to beat the teams they end up signing with. How can RT be expected to win against teams with higher NILs consistently? 

You think Texas has a low NIL after bringing in Johnson, Codie, Pope, Larry, Mark, and Kent? That's five 4-star guys and sure fire lottery pick.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Zero chance because of same reason as Toppin

Am I correct in thinking Texas has the money but they don't want to overpay?There are only a few quality bigs left in the portal, at what point does Texas decide to just pay up and grab one?

5 minutes ago, Hookem3 said:

Am I correct in thinking Texas has the money but they don't want to overpay?There are only a few quality bigs left in the portal, at what point does Texas decide to just pay up and grab one?

Watched a podcast on another site. One guy said it wasn’t that Texas didn’t have the money. They didn’t think he was worth it. The other guy said the agent indicated it wasn’t the money but something they kind of expected that Texas didn’t do. In other words “who knows”

1 hour ago, Neil Leininger said:

You think Texas has a low NIL after bringing in Johnson, Codie, Pope, Larry, Mark, and Kent? That's five 4-star guys and sure fire lottery pick.

Arkansas has double their NIL. Can they pay for Hawkins? Brazelle(Nebraska currently leades in NIL)? Kentucky and Alabama have higher NILs too. All three teams can go after Hawkins. You know what is even more impressive to me? Baylor and Alabama each got two top prospects that turned down schools offering more. So not only are they getting players with a higher NIL. They are also getting players for less. Texas has a very competitive roster as is. My point is that if a new coach were to come, they would raise their NIL. No coach would come if they didn’t. So don’t ask RT to compete with less money. CDC said he wants to be number one in all sports. 

Why put all your efforts into Garrison and Toppin because they weren’t about the money, only to find out they are? I think Texas has the guards to compete with those three teams. They don’t have the forwards/centers to compete with those schools. I am still hoping for a big surprise player but if it doesn’t happen, I will be attending the games like always. I am a fan forever. Just find it incredibly frustrating right now. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Jordan91 said:

Watched a podcast on another site. One guy said it wasn’t that Texas didn’t have the money. They didn’t think he was worth it. The other guy said the agent indicated it wasn’t the money but something they kind of expected that Texas didn’t do. In other words “who knows”

Sounds like a request to be guaranteed 30+ mpg outside the paint on both ends.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Jordan91 said:

Arkansas has double their NIL. Can they pay for Hawkins? Brazelle(Nebraska currently leades in NIL)? Kentucky and Alabama have higher NILs too. All three teams can go after Hawkins. You know what is even more impressive to me? Baylor and Alabama each got two top prospects that turned down schools offering more. So not only are they getting players with a higher NIL. They are also getting players for less. Texas has a very competitive roster as is. My point is that if a new coach were to come, they would raise their NIL. No coach would come if they didn’t. So don’t ask RT to compete with less money. CDC said he wants to be number one in all sports. 

Why put all your efforts into Garrison and Toppin because they weren’t about the money, only to find out they are? I think Texas has the guards to compete with those three teams. They don’t have the forwards/centers to compete with those schools. I am still hoping for a big surprise player but if it doesn’t happen, I will be attending the games like always. I am a fan forever. Just find it incredibly frustrating right now. 

Why are you crying over JAGS? If you want to pay 7 figures, that player needs to be a sure fire lottery pick. Hawkins and Toppin are not lottery picks, and they aren't getting more than what Texas gave Tre Johnson. If other teams want to pay whatever the player wants let them, it destroys locker rooms, just look at aggy. Both Garrison and Toppin took the highest offer they got and went to programs that are not in a different tier than Texas. We spent a crap ton on the guys we brought in. We probably have enough to bring in another big, though that guy isn't getting a starter's role with what Texas already has on the roster.

The rotation is already strong with Pope, Weaver, Larry, Johnson, Mark, Kent, Codie, and Shedrick. You have 4th big minutes left and currently we have Onyemi ready for those minutes. Then you need developmental minutes for Pryor and Presley. Toppin would be a nice add if he was willing to play his role. That role had a price point that Texas wasn't willing to move off of, and they shouldn't because he's not that big of an upgrade over what we currently have available to us. Toppin isn't taking the ball out of the hands of Pope, Larry, Mark, and Johnson.

• Hook 'Em 1

I get not wanting to overpay but we passed on so many guys in the portal we are now stuck scrambling and if we don’t want to spend the money we are going to settle for a big who won’t contribute more to this team than what we already have. In my opinion Hawkins is worth it at this point in time.

• Hook 'Em 2