College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread

On 4/1/2024 at 11:15 AM, Gerry Hamilton said:

That's not really up to me. Last year there was so much explosive news going on ... Ron Holland and AJ Johnson, Dillon Mitchell and draft process, building out almost entire roster ... this year is going be much more calm in explosive news. 

Texas has less moving parts vs. last off season, and there is feeling out where Texas actually sits in the portal in terms of pecking order. 

Tons of moving parts now. Texas has Shedrick, Weaver, Tre, Cam and Codie. Mitchell and Hunter aren’t coming back and they definitely shouldn’t even if they did want to come back. Knowing you haven’t heard a lot is concerning to me now. Sorry Onyema is most likely recruited over. 

31 minutes ago, Shea Cook said:

Gerry, I really appreciate all of your basketball knowledge. 

Assuming that he’s clear of any criminal misconduct, is Pop Isaacs a point guard that can help this roster? 

No Gerry, he has a lot more confidence but he can’t shoot the ball. 

Either Texas won’t give out the money or RT is completely lost on the portal. His job is on the line. Seeing Hunter and Mitchell coming back would just tell me he can’t get anyone to come. Selling the players he does get won’t work this year. They are nosediving right now. 

5 hours ago, Jordan91 said:

No Gerry, he has a lot more confidence but he can’t shoot the ball. 

Isaacs can certainly shoot the ball but Isaacs isn't a PG regardless of what position they list him at.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Neil Leininger said:

Isaacs is a volume scorer only. Those guys are a dime a dozen in the portal, not to mention he raped a teammate's sister earlier in the season while Tech covered it up.

This. It’s like Westbrook in the NBA. Shoot it twenty five times and hope eight go in. What did he shoot when Texas blew them out on there home court? He’s a more confident Hunter. No thanks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Jordan91 said:

This. It’s like Westbrook in the NBA. Shoot it twenty five times and hope eight go in. What did he shoot when Texas blew them out on there home court? He’s a more confident Hunter. No thanks. 

Except he doesn't have the athleticism or basketball skill that Westbrick had.

• Hook 'Em 1

In the Travis Scott video I saw Chendall, Shedrick and Pryor. I might be reading too much into it but is that who RT is expecting to come back next year or did he just choose some guys? To me that kind of seems like the writing on the wall about next years roster.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, GJH said:

In the Travis Scott video I saw Chendall, Shedrick and Pryor. I might be reading too much into it but is that who RT is expecting to come back next year or did he just choose some guys? To me that kind of seems like the writing on the wall about next years roster.

Why would you assume RT "chose" anyone? I'm sure any interested player was given the opportunity.

RT has reached out to numerous combo guards/point guards and small forward/wings. If Mitchell and Hunter return it will mean they couldn’t get anyone. Several way better than both have already committed elsewhere. Ogden is in charge of changing the roster to meet the team needs. Still waiting for someone to even visit. I believe they are prepared this year versus last year but right now only Garrison seems to be the most interested. Talented for sure but he does not fill the biggest holes on the team right now. The month is of April is certainly going to be interesting around here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Jordan91 said:

RT has reached out to numerous combo guards/point guards and small forward/wings. If Mitchell and Hunter return it will mean they couldn’t get anyone. Several way better than both have already committed elsewhere. Ogden is in charge of changing the roster to meet the team needs. Still waiting for someone to even visit. I believe they are prepared this year versus last year but right now only Garrison seems to be the most interested. Talented for sure but he does not fill the biggest holes on the team right now. The month is of April is certainly going to be interesting around here. 

A lot of work to be done for sure. 

Ogden is GM ... that role is more from the NIL side of things, etc.... RT is the HC and roster construction is his plus the entire staff. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Chris Beard is the top target if the board of regents (or whatever they are called) signs off on it. 

2 other D1 programs have no issues signing Beard, but Texas couldn’t wait for a full investigation and then hired a guy who has never built a successful team.