Texas seed & NCAA Tournament Thread

• Moderators

Texas exited the Big 12 Tournament with a 78-74 loss to Kansas State in the 2nd round, the first game for the Longhorns.

Now comes the question of where will Texas be seeded on Selection Sunday at 6 p.m. eastern time.  

With the loss, falling to a No. 10 seed would likely be the best case scenario for Texas (20-12, 9-9). Getting off the 8/9 seed line and not being tasked with taking on UConn (again), Tennessee or Purdue would be welcomed as all three teams are not ideal matchups for the Longhorns.

Texas NCAA Tournament seeding scenarios

The Longhorns are going to be a No. 8, No. 9 or No. 10 seed in the tournament. Moving toward a No. 9 or 10 with the upset loss to Kansas State Wednesday. 

Joe Lunardi has Texas a No. 9 seed following the loss last night. One projection (Jerry Palm), has Texas a No. 9 seed - same as before the loss. 

NCAA Men’s Basketball NET Rankings (March 1)
Texas fell from No. 25  to No. 28 in NCAA NET after the Big 12 Tournament loss. 

The Longhorns are 5-9 in Quad 1 games, 3-2vs. Quad 2, 5-1 vs. Quad 3 and 7-0 vs. Quad 4. 

Kansas State is No. 70 in NCAA NET, and would be a fourth Quad 2 win for the Horns.

Should the Horns advance to Thursday, Iowa State would be a Quad 1 win opportunity on a neutral court. Iowa State is No. 9 in NCAA NET. 

T-Rank 
Texas fell from No. 19 to No. 20 in Bart Torvik’s rankings after Wednesday night. 

2024 Ken Pomeroy College Basketball Ratings
Texas checks in at No. 25 after being No. 23 prior to the Kansas State loss.

View full news

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, SuperDave0805 said:

Hunter may go for 30 and Texas wins the opener or he could go 0-fer and Texas loses in the 1st rd, 

For sure! 

shot a combined 0-21 against Kansas State (N), Iowa State (at home) and At Marquette… truly amazing 

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
Just now, HookemHorns said:

Looking like a 9, with a tough opening round game and a very challenging 2nd if we make it that far. But I know that I, for one, am thrilled they made the tourney. It was looking very iffy for a long while. 

Getting in the tournament never a bad thing for sure.

Miami and Arkansas are done for the year after a FF and S16 in 2023. 

Year one has been okay. Year two for RT will be the really big one in his tenure IMO

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Getting in the tournament never a bad thing for sure.

Miami and Arkansas are done for the year after a FF and S16 in 2023. 

Year one has been okay. Year two for RT will be the really big one in his tenure IMO

I know we are in the portal era so leashes just aren’t as long especially at major programs but I think RT deserves 2 full years at the least. He still has things to learn no doubt but some forget or just don’t realize about the continuity factor and how huge it is in sports. Something Sark puts a lot of emphasis on. 

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, Neil Leininger said:

I like the current bracket as well, Dayton in the 8/9 and Purdue as the #1 seed. Purdue can be had in the 2nd round. They don't have Ivey and Williams anymore.

I watched the entire Purdue game yesterday. Agree. The most over hyped college player in history can't sit in the paint against Disu. 

Their PG is much improved from last year, but they are very beatable.