Practice News & Notes

Spoke to a couple of sources regarding Tuesday's practice and practice generally over the first seven sessions.

Here are a few notes:

- "Tre Wisner has two speeds -- standing still or full throttle. When he goes, he goes all out on every play." With a quote like that, it's easy to see why Steve Sarkisian praised the sophomore from DeSoto.

- Ryan Wingo has been very good. He's still working on his route running but he is not backing down, he has not hit the freshman wall.

- I asked for the biggest strength of the team, and received an interesting answer.

"It's a talented team - really good talent - but these guys are not allergic to hard work. There's not a bunch of prima donnas running around. They know how to work, and they work hard. Really impressed by that."

- The offensive line rotation continues to be just that, a rotation. Hayden Conner is back at left guard after spending a week as back-up center. But the position is a real battle right now. According to at least one source, Neto Umeozulu's week as a starter showed some stuff in the inside run game that could be a little different.

But do not belittle the experience Conner brings to the unit. The right-side of the offensive line is relatively young and inexperienced whereas the left-side that includes Conner and Kelvin Banks will both be three-year starters.

- Newcomer Tia Savea has been singled out as perhaps the best interior run stopper, at least thus far. "He probably anchors the best."

- Unsurprisingly, tight end Amari Niblack is seeing more run with the 1s and 2s in live action.

- We've mentioned Cedric Baxter's big practice on Friday. Well, more praise for him and running mate Jaydon Blue came this morning. Baxter is said to be using his weight and contact balance better and Blue has actually gained some good weight that has made him a little stronger on contact as well. Of course, Blue's speed continues to be a major asset for the offense.

- Last but not least, two bits of news on Quinn Ewers.

First, he clearly looks and feels more at ease as the QB at Texas and that seems to be translating on the field. That echoes the sentiments from Sark at his presser yesterday. But another piece of intel?

That ease appears to be directly translating into quicker reads. Quicker reads are part of any QB's development, but definitely something identified by scouts as a piece that Ewers wanted to work on this off-season.

View full news

• Hook 'Em 17

I know everyone has to say the right things about Conner, but the film doesn't lie. The guy just flat out missed touching the opponent in numerous key situations last year. It was unbelievable to watch. Neto will be the starter at LG and the team will be markedly better for it.

• Hook 'Em 7

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Texas fan in Georgia said:

Savea is the best interior guy? Is that just very good news or cause for concern?

Against the run this should not be a huge surprise. Savea was nails on the field for Arizona last year. He does not move backwards in the run game and was rather disruptive if you go back to the bowl game against Oklahoma. He's a good player, just a bit limited at 295 pounds at the moment.

• Hook 'Em 9

DT is what it is. Hard to replace what we had .We ain't Georgia in that regard. Need portal help but if anybody worth it comes out let the bidding begin. Gotta score lot of points ha😂

• Hook 'Em 1

Agreed on Neto. He may miss an assignment here or there for a while, but when he knows what he's supposed to do, he makes a greater impact than Conner.

Similar to what we saw from Hutson to Campbell two years ago, except I think Hutson actually gets some push on contact before losing his balance.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TTown said:

DT is what it is. Hard to replace what we had .We ain't Georgia in that regard. Need portal help but if anybody worth it comes out let the bidding begin. Gotta score lot of points ha😂

To be clear, even Georgia went back a step once Davis left. There wasn't a Jordan Davis on the field for UGA in 2023.

Even terrific roster management involves ebb and flow at the collegiate level. Texas is managing its personnel at an elite. Where we may go back a step at the interior DL, we make a leap forward at E and S. Anyone thinking that Murphy and Sweat could be replaced without giving a little is being willfully ignorant. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I know everyone has to say the right things about Conner, but the film doesn't lie. The guy just flat out missed touching the opponent in numerous key situations last year. It was unbelievable to watch. Neto will be the starter at LG and the team will be markedly better for it.

Why is Hutson never mentioned in this race? Seems like he provides the best blend of pass protection, run game physicality, and experience. 

26 minutes ago, Hornmatic said:

Why is Hutson never mentioned in this race? Seems like he provides the best blend of pass protection, run game physicality, and experience. 

I think he's in the race, but he hasn't run as much with the ones as Neto. Hutson and Neto switched off some last week but Neto always went first.

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

To be clear, even Georgia went back a step once Davis left. There wasn't a Jordan Davis on the field for UGA in 2023.

Even terrific roster management involves ebb and flow at the collegiate level. Texas is managing its personnel at an elite. Where we may go back a step at the interior DL, we make a leap forward at E and S. Anyone thinking that Murphy and Sweat could be replaced without giving a little is being willfully ignorant. 

Talking more year in and out with the Georgia's Alabama's etc. Sure everyone knows hard to replace those guys, but we will see if we have enough depth that is needed. New league new problem. And we have a new DT Coach that none of knows whether he will be the level of coach we need at that position to recruit or develop. He has no long resume to show that. Maybe he will be , hope so.

Good news is we are pretty talented in the other defensive positions, but you have to have great interior line play in the SEC .Time will tell but it is concerning , not earth shattering yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Bobby Burton said:

It can be both. Good that Savea will help. Bad that no one else anchors as well as he does.

It is probably too early to ask, but wondering if you are hearing of any changes on the defenses from and Xs and Os stand point... ex. more single high, more movement along the front

13 minutes ago, codaxx said:

It is probably too early to ask, but wondering if you are hearing of any changes on the defenses from and Xs and Os stand point... ex. more single high, more movement along the front

I've read (here, I think) that they plan to play more press, but for real this time. It's a strength of that room now with all the length we've added where it absolutely was not when Gavin Holmes was the 3rd guy. 

I'm pinning a lot of hopes on that nugget, actually. Should bridge some of the DT gap and let the edges get home with more regularity. Especially with Mukuba playing cleanup 

5 minutes ago, Rickysonehitter said:

I've read (here, I think) that they plan to play more press, but for real this time. It's a strength of that room now with all the length we've added where it absolutely was not when Gavin Holmes was the 3rd guy. 

I'm pinning a lot of hopes on that nugget, actually. Should bridge some of the DT gap and let the edges get home with more regularity. Especially with Mukuba playing cleanup 

I thought Texas pressed a decent amount last year, especially later in the year with mixed results (less easy short completions, but more big plays given up).. I am very interested in the direction of the front 7, which is definitely less stout, but much more athletic.