Austin Westlake Kicker Joins Texas 2024 Class

• Moderators

The Longhorns have added a piece to their 2024 recruiting class with the announcement from Austin Westlake K Spencer Barnett Friday afternoon.

Barnett will join the Longhorns as a walk-on kicker, adding to the pipeline of Westlake Chaps on roster in 2024. 

Barnett had previously been committed to Colorado State, though opts to stay home and join the Longhorns. Texas is adding a huge leg with Barnett here. 

View full news

• Hook 'Em 8

This got me wondering about the longest field goals in HS. The national record is 68 yards by a kid in Nevada in 1985, The Texas record is 67 by Russell Cowsert of Dallas Christian in 1987. There have been 27 FG's over 60 yards, 5 of them on free kicks after fair catches.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, Rick said:

This got me wondering about the longest field goals in HS. The national record is 68 yards by a kid in Nevada in 1985, The Texas record is 67 by Russell Cowsert of Dallas Christian in 1987. There have been 27 FG's over 60 yards, 5 of them on free kicks after fair catches.

My memory may be faulty, but I thought a Newman Smith kicker (my alma mater) kicked a 60 yard FG against LD Bell in the playoffs in the early 80's. He got a scholly to Mizzou.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, MarkInAustin said:

Does he punt, too?

Yes. But pretty sure we have a top notch punter coming in from St A in Florida. This local kid has excellent potential and am glad he chose Texas.