Damonic Williams visit update (Tuesday 8:05 a.m. CST)

3 hours ago, bourbasted said:

In my experience quite a few.  Growing up in a small country town in Texas, a lot of the guys I grew up with (Black, White, Hispanic, etc.) much preferred a smaller town for their university years.  Conservative does not equal racist where I'm from, but hey, each to their own.

2 hours ago, bourbasted said:

As I said, to each their own.  I don't think it's as simple as just saying all young Black athletes will prefer liberal cities.  All good, just offering alternative perspectives.  For me, there's no way in hell I'd want to go to Norman over Austin, but it happens every year for a lot of young men.  I guess we don't have to understand it, just accept that some think differently.  

I think the town the University is in is pretty far down the list of reasons recruits commit to a school.  Distance from home is probably more important than whether the town is liberal,  conservative,  large or small.  

56 minutes ago, GDI said:

I think the town the University is in is pretty far down the list of reasons recruits commit to a school.  Distance from home is probably more important than whether the town is liberal,  conservative,  large or small.  

And of course, how many Dairy Queens does the town have? lol

2 hours ago, GDI said:

100% agree on location being a HUGE factor to these kids.  Most universities don't have the luxury of being in an amazing city like Austin, so for most kids it's a MAJOR plus if you're going down the list of what makes UT attractive to a kid.  I'm not too sure the town the school is in would be far down the list, though.  People have misconstrued what I'm saying I think.  Replace liberal and conservative with Big City and Small Town or Urban and Rural.  Maybe that helps make my point a little easier and gets people past the CNN/Fox News definitions of liberal and conservative.  Didn't mean to make this political, though some will still want to push it that way.  My main point is that many kids of many ethnic backgrounds prefer to live in more rural environments / towns based on how and where they were brought up.  Many of them don't.  Pretty simple.

Just a quick follow-up.  Do you think the protests happening on campus today with Damonic there will be helpful?  If his family are seeing this, do you think they would want him here or in Louisiana?  I mean some people thrive on this kind of thing, but if it's my kid, I'm not wanting to send him into that kind of crazy if he has solid options.  Not everyone likes mayhem.  As previously stated, I don't think it's a huge factor, but it's probably not helping get him to Texas, but hey, what do I know?

28 minutes ago, bourbasted said:

Just a quick follow-up.  Do you think the protests happening on campus today with Damonic there will be helpful?  If his family are seeing this, do you think they would want him here or in Louisiana?  I mean some people thrive on this kind of thing, but if it's my kid, I'm not wanting to send him into that kind of crazy if he has solid options.  Not everyone likes mayhem.  As previously stated, I don't think it's a huge factor, but it's probably not helping get him to Texas, but hey, what do I know?

That bullshit is going on everywhere all over the country. Texas police is the only police force I’ve seen actually put an end to it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Texas fan in Georgia said:

That bullshit is going on everywhere all over the country. Texas police is the only police force I’ve seen actually put an end to it. 

Apparently 4 major campuses at this stage with more likely to jump in with 'mysterious' funding, but that wasn't the question.  Anywho, all good.  We can just agree to disagree.  I think young men, regardless of race, choose campuses for different reasons and some of them are how they are brought up and where.  Some prefer the big cities and some prefer a more rural town.  The OP who started this whole thing assumes all Black men should want to go to liberal campuses only.  All good, I just think people are a little more diverse.  

25 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Still on campus as of 30 mins ago. Going well, but nothing of note outside that right now. 

I just have a feeling we are not going to get him and because of it we definitely missed the ucla guy. I just have this feeling in my stomach we missed on both. 

20 minutes ago, Joe Zura said:

I just have a feeling we are not going to get him and because of it we definitely missed the ucla guy. I just have this feeling in my stomach we missed on both. 

Tell the feeling to go away. Embrace it, control it, and change it. 

30 minutes ago, Joe Zura said:

It’s going to come down to how bad does Texas want him. It’s going to be NIL driven. At the end of the day, Texas will have to offer something he simply can’t refuse.