Defensive Recruiting

How much trouble is Texas in?  Defensive recruiting has had quite a few whiffs recently.   D Line CB and trending that way for LBs..... Why is there so little momentum on this side of the ball?  Is it an NIL issue coaching or something else?  I know the standard recruit thru the whistle but these losses are starting to add up quickly which means the Horns are playing from behind.  Hope they get it figured out 

Edited by watty7796
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Steven Schrader said:

all but maybe 4 or 5 teams would kill to be in our position...we're fine...remember Nov of 2021?  We had posters wanting to fire Flood.  

This is big boy recruiting...it ain't for the feint of heart

Agreed, however 3 of 5 DL have committed elsewhere.  Brew and likely Anding off the board at CB.  Pettijohn less than 50% to Texas, and the list continues.  These are the guys UT brought in for visits.  I guess more pointedly if you are going to land 25% or less "big Boy recruiting" and you want 4 or 5 guys why would you only bring in 5?  Those numbers don't add up.  Just sayin.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Texas is definitely not going to fill the needs at 2-3 positions prior to the season, as of today.

So they have added pressure to make it happen during the fall prior to signing day … in terms of high school recruiting 

How much does this stunt the growth of the program overall and is it poor planning or just plain old bad luck?  I know we probably will never be privy to all that happened here, but this is a really bad look for a team looking at the CFP, first year in the SEC, and one of the upper tier teams in all of the country.

17 minutes ago, watty7796 said:

How much does this stunt the growth of the program overall and is it poor planning or just plain old bad luck?  I know we probably will never be privy to all that happened here, but this is a really bad look for a team looking at the CFP, first year in the SEC, and one of the upper tier teams in all of the country.

I don’t think it stunts the program unless they don’t fill their needs. And we’re still a long way off from that being the case. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Way too early to overreact and do something foolish here. Look how late our class came together last hear.  I do think it’s a good time for the staff to assess what’s going on, as there are still 6 months of musical chairs before recruits sign, and make any necessary corrections. The questions I would ask are 1) do we have the right staff to recruit /attract at certain positions (DB and DT for instance) and if not how can we upgrade/supplement, 2) are we losing recruits because of NIL and if so are we keeping up with the market which is very fluid as people figure this out , and 3) do we have reasonable expectations of recruits priority of NIL vs culture?  I’m ok passing on someone if you think they only want the money but you at least have to be at market so they can choose the best culture. I’m not taking a 50% cut in salary to go work for a slightly better culture. I have faith that Sark and Del Conte will figure this out

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hashtag said:

I’m beginning to think letting Glasscock walk to Ole Miss was a miscalculation, especially with promoting Brandon Harris to that role. 

Ole Miss currently has the 35th ranked class per on3 with 3 4 star recruits.  It’s still too early to judge and I still think it’s likely Texas ends up with a top 5 class.

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas needs to change their recruiting tactics.  It seems like Oregon sits back and let’s Texas do all the work evaluating prospects…waits for Texas to give offers to high value prospects…then swoops in to snipe Texas with NIL deal more than what Texas offered.

It’s also as if Oregon listens the Gerry and CJ’s evaluation of recruits too and makes offers based on information gleaned by Gerry and CJ.  (Now even I am sounding like a conspiracy theorist—because I just don’t understand why a recruit would find Oregon attractive given what Texas and Austin can offer)

1 hour ago, DZX158 said:

Ole Miss currently has the 35th ranked class per on3 with 3 4 star recruits.  It’s still too early to judge and I still think it’s likely Texas ends up with a top 5 class.

Tell me you don’t understand what Glasscock did without telling me. 

30 minutes ago, Hashtag said:

Tell me you don’t understand what Glasscock did without telling me. 

What I'm telling you is it’s too early to panic about recruiting and overall roster management. Last year people were freaking out over DB and WR recruiting around this time and look how that worked out. 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, watty7796 said:

We can fill the Dline with jags from the portal.  We won't be elite like last year but with our offense we can probably get by against most clubs.

Edited by 40acres

3 minutes ago, 40acres said:

We can fill the Dline with jags from the portal.  We won't be elite like last year but with our offense we can probably get by against most clubs.

I understand that we can overpower most clubs with our offense.....the question is do you accept that most clubs as acceptable or is UTs aspirations higher as in championships??

14 minutes ago, watty7796 said:

I understand that we can overpower most clubs with our offense.....the question is do you accept that most clubs as acceptable or is UTs aspirations higher as in championships??

We won't win a natty with jags on the DL IMO.  So I don't view it as acceptable if the goal is championships.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, watty7796 said:

That was basically OU under late Stoops and Riley and how did that work out?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, 40acres said:

We won't win a natty with jags on the DL IMO.  So I don't view it as acceptable if the goal is championships.

Michigan didn't croot high 4 and 5 star DL but they had a coaching staff that developled these guys into a championship level defense.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Exactly.  Same as with Sweat and Murphy.  The problem for us is the cupboard is getting bare.  If that's the approach we want to take we need to change our recruiting and target accordingly.   We can fill with the portal.  But you aren't likely to find NFL talents in the portal. 

Edited by 40acres
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, DZX158 said:

It's considered bad manners to provide facts and sound logic in these situations.