Schloss, Weiner Add Yet Another JUCO Arm

• Moderators

Another day, another commitment for the Texas Baseball staff.

Schlossnagle and Co. head back to the JUCO ranks for the second consecutive day with the commitment of Ethan Walker, a LHP out of Walters State Community College.

Walker pitched 30 innings at Walters State this past season, striking out 38, yet accumulating a 4.80 ERA.

Walker sits with a 3-quarter delivery off the left side of the mound. He sits mostly around the upper 80's with his fast ball though brings a plus curveball to his game.

• Hook 'Em 21

• Moderators

Walker strikes me as a late inning situational/matchup piece. Good for a lefty-lefty matchup or run in the lineup. That delivery is funky enough to cause issues at the 3/4 arm delivery. I like it, can never have enough arms with quality stuff in the pen that provide unique deliveries. 

• Hook 'Em 11

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Jerry K said:

The staff obviously recognizes the void. Glad they are bringing in what is hopefully going to be quality arms. 
@CJ Vogel do you know where this puts Texas in terms of scholarships left?

Never know with baseball because it is not a full scholarship being used on the player being added. It almost doesn't even matter anymore with NIL. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Jerry K said:

The staff obviously recognizes the void. Glad they are bringing in what is hopefully going to be quality arms. 
@CJ Vogel do you know where this puts Texas in terms of scholarships left?

29 minutes ago, CJ Vogel said:

Never know with baseball because it is not a full scholarship being used on the player being added. It almost doesn't even matter anymore with NIL. 

I don’t know where they currently stand but…

I read that the roster size for next season is a 40 man limit. Of these up to 32 players can receive scholarships/partial scholarships. The 32 is up from the 27 normal limit due to the Covid season. This information wasn’t from the NCAA but I read that in a couple of places.

Maybe someone can correct me if that is wrong.

Edited by marathon

14 minutes ago, carsonsmith84 said:

Campbell RHP transfer, throws 95+. Was hurt so he had only 3 starts but went 6 innings against Ohio and allowed no runs and struck out 11. Was really good JUCO before that. 

IMG_6290.jpeg

I’m gonna have faith in Weiner’s vision with some of these guys, because the ERAs aren’t sparkling. But small adjustments can get the most out of players. 

• Hook 'Em 1