Sark and the running quarterback.

We all know that Sark does not like for his quarterbacks to run.

If Sark sees his QB in a jam and needs to skedaddle, Sark might be inclined to yell "RUN" like the rest of us.

It occurred to me that Sark's successful system at USC was beaten by Vince Young's sensational running.

Is this a flaw in Sark's system?

Fourth and five, 26 seconds left on the clock, Vince Young ruins Sark's day.

The thing is, we don't need a guy like Vince Young or Michael Vick at QB. Just someone with plus athleticism and the threat of a run will make huge changes to coverages. How many times have we gotten our asses kicked by a moderately athletic QB who runs a couple of times a game? Plenty.

Sark doesn't have to run the QB. He just needs to play a QB who CAN run. I know that will get me thrown from the ivory tower around here, but statues aren't going to win in college football. QB's have to be able to run a little. It makes such a huge difference in 3rd down and red zone situations.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, syracusehorn said:

The thing is, we don't need a guy like Vince Young or Michael Vick at QB. Just someone with plus athleticism and the threat of a run will make huge changes to coverages. How many times have we gotten our asses kicked by a moderately athletic QB who runs a couple of times a game? Plenty.

Sark doesn't have to run the QB. He just needs to play a QB who CAN run. I know that will get me thrown from the ivory tower around here, but statues aren't going to win in college football. QB's have to be able to run a little. It makes such a huge difference in 3rd down and red zone situations.

100% true. In the modern game of offense you need effective QB runs that can extend chains or chunk yardage that is free due to escaping pressure/running when you have 30 yards of open field in front of you. 

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, Rob Mfield said:

If Sark sees his QB in a jam and needs to skedaddle, Sark might be inclined to yell "RUN" like the rest of us.

It occurred to me that Sark's successful system at USC was beaten by Vince Young's sensational running.

Wake me up next time Sark recruit's an Alien.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Rob Mfield said:

I don't think Sarks minds running.  As long as it's done after going  through progressions or escaping a sack.  He doesn't want 1 read and run QB's.

• Hook 'Em 3

Most recruiting cycles don't have a DT-QB like VY or Cam Newton. More importantly, DT-QBs don't win the National Championship very often. The last DT-QB to win the NC was 2010 Cam Newton. That is a looooong time ago. There is more than 1 way to win it all and it usually takes more than the best DT-QB.

An aside, our biggest flaw in the CFP was arguably the secondary. If we had the 2005 starting TX secondary with 5 NFL players we could have defended the pass better in the CFP and likely beaten Washington. Could have given Michigan a better game than WA in the NC. 

Sark has won the NC with his system at Bama without a dual threat QB. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Sark brought us to the CFP in yr 3 with a passer that hasn't fully developed. Our team was flawed in other areas. Let's keep chopping wood and see what we accomplish.

Believe Sark has transitioned to finding passers with the ability to buy time, escape or make plays with their legs if necessary. Sark often recruits 5-star QBs that can move well. 5* Ewers is fairly fast, see his long KS TD run. Ewers had 5 TD runs last year. Ewers ran 8 times for 54 yds and a 6.8 ypr in the CFP. 6.8 ypr is damn good. His legs weren't the problem in the CFP. Manning is bigger, stronger and can move fairly well. Dia is a passer first but he has been listed as a dual threat QB. We have a few future NFL QBs in my opinion. Our QB room and two QB commits are the envy of most teams.

Agree DJ Lagway is a fantastic DT-QB prospect. But let's see how Ewers in yr 3 and Arch do before we storm Bellmont Hall.

PS No, Kyler did not win the ship, aka National Championship. Kyler ran for over a 1,000 and won the Heisman but OU finished just outside the top 5 after losing to Texas in Oct and later Bama.

Lawrence was listed as a pro style QB. He passed for 347 yds and ran for only 27 yds in the NC. 

• Hook 'Em 2