Any back can pass block, it’s not rocket science and doesn’t require a huge body. Just need a player and Baxter should be replaceable by any of the remaining RBs!

People saying that we just need a pass blocker are missing a big issue.. when we are up by 7, 10, 14 points in the 4th quarter and want to drain the clock... who are we going to give the rock to?   Who can fall forward for a few yards, have good ball security, when the defense is expecting run?  I hope this is Gibson, but putting hope on a true freshman is never solid planning.

10 minutes ago, Quinncent McManning, Jr. said:

People saying that we just need a pass blocker are missing a big issue.. when we are up by 7, 10, 14 points in the 4th quarter and want to drain the clock... who are we going to give the rock to?   Who can fall forward for a few yards, have good ball security, when the defense is expecting run?  I hope this is Gibson, but putting hope on a true freshman is never solid planning.

Blue can pick up tough yards in the pile. I imagine Wisner will thrive in an expanded role as well. We had a ton of depth at RB. This is why. 

None of them are Baxter but we have plenty at RB. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, TarrantCoHorn said:

Blue can pick up tough yards in the pile. I imagine Wisner will thrive in an expanded role as well. We had a ton of depth at RB. This is why. 

None of them are Baxter but we have plenty at RB. 

I'm not questioning Blue being able to get tough yards.  He is a tough SOB and will give 100% effort.  However, let's say he's had 15-20 carries in a game, tired, banged up... now a SEC D line is keying in on stopping the obvious run, and do you want your smaller frame back risking injury in that situation?  

• Hook 'Em 1

It isn’t just blocking someone but knowing where to be and where the blitzes are coming from…especially on checks. You can’t block someone if you’re in the wrong spot and that takes time/experience. 

• Hook 'Em 3

• Moderators

Any RB can catch a pass out of the backfield too … but it doesn’t mean you have the same passing game out of the backfield with Blue and Baxter.

If it was Blue that had been injured … you weren’t going to see Texas run Baxter down the seam in the passing game 

Players have different strengths/skill sets at the same position 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, landomcb said:

It isn’t just blocking someone but knowing where to be and where the blitzes are coming from…especially on checks. You can’t block someone if you’re in the wrong spot and that takes time/experience. 

Gets it.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

As a between the tackles runner? Potentially yep.

The entirety of the position, not sure on that. 

What made Baxter a year ago be so far ahead of where Gibson is now?  I would have assumed coming from IMG that Gibson would be more college ready to play day one than Baxter last year, but it appears to be the opposite

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, lloydchristmas said:

What made Baxter a year ago be so far ahead of where Gibson is now?  I would have assumed coming from IMG that Gibson would be more college ready to play day one than Baxter last year, but it appears to be the opposite

Baxter's natural football intelligence is extremely high end. 

• Hook 'Em 2

While the blocking portion isn't necessarily rocket science, being at the right place at the right time based on blitz pick up outlet/safety valve or other variables isn't as easy as it sounds.  Football IQ and good instincts matter here and Baxter had that in spades.

Edited by watty7796
Spelling

A back who's out of position on a blitz pickup gets your franchise QB killed.  Playing time and experience, the willingness to take on the rush, and football IQ are what makes a good pass protecting RB.  Losing Baxter hurts, at least in the short term.  How long it will impact the team will depend upon how fast the pups grow up.