File this for future reference if Texas vs Oregon. Dan Lanning plays Dirty

32 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Which blue blood will lure him away from Uncle Phil in the next 2-3 years?

USC

Ohio State

Florida (I consider them that level)

???

Or someone currently with a HC that leaves before people thought he would. 

I wouldn't leave Oregon for USC or Florida. At best those feel like lateral moves and aren't clear enough upgrades to do it right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Which blue blood will lure him away from Uncle Phil in the next 2-3 years?

USC

Ohio State

Florida (I consider them that level)

???

Or someone currently with a HC that leaves before people thought he would. 

Oklahoma?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jordan91 said:

He has an arrogance about him that I do like. However, I have always felt you need a national championship, before the arrogance. See Herman. 

He has confidence....just hear him talk and you can tell it's not arrogance. Although there is a fine line.....

Herman is 100% arrogant and an asshole. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Wabi Sabi said:

I didn't see this, what happened and how did it benefit them? Not sure how having 12 men on the field induced them to throwing to jabaar, or how they're related?

I didn’t see this either, but my guess is because it’s a live ball penalty, time ticks off the clock.  The assumption is that they stop the offense on that play.  The offense gets 5 yards, but lose precious time which is more valuable in that situation.

27 minutes ago, HookemTexas said:

I didn’t see this either, but my guess is because it’s a live ball penalty, time ticks off the clock.  The assumption is that they stop the offense on that play.  The offense gets 5 yards, but lose precious time which is more valuable in that situation.

I think there were 10 seconds left in the game, clock stopped after incompletion (?), OSU needed a few more yards for a first down and to get in position for a winning FG.  This penalty ran the clock down to 6 seconds IIRC before OSU realized what the duck was happening, then the OSU QB ran for a few yards and got down on purpose but time had expired.

So basically instead of just enough time for two plays (if they got a first down) OSU had time for just one play.

Belichickian in my view.

Edited by ArizonaLonghorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ArizonaLonghorn said:

I think there were 10 seconds left in the game, clock stopped after incompletion (?), OSU needed a few more yards for a first down and to get in position for a winning FG.  This penalty ran the clock down to 6 seconds IIRC before OSU realized what the duck was happening, then the OSU QB ran for a few yards and got down on purpose but time had expired.

So basically instead of just enough time for two plays (if they got a first down) OSU had time for just one play.

Belichickian in my view.

Found this fuller, better description on AP

Oregon took the lead with 1:47 left on Atticus Sappington’s 19-yard field goal in Saturday night's game, giving the Buckeyes time to drive down the field for a potential winning field goal. With Ohio State facing a third-and-25 from Oregon's 43-yard line, the Ducks called a timeout with 10 seconds left.

Just before the ball was snapped, Oregon defensive back Dontae Manning walked onto the field, giving the Ducks an extra defender. Ohio State failed to complete a pass against Oregon's 12-man defense on the next play, and the Ducks were flagged for an illegal substitution penalty.

Ohio State gained five yards on the penalty, but lost four seconds off the clock since the penalty was deemed a live-ball foul. The Buckeyes were left with six seconds on the clock, and quarterback Will Howard scrambled up the middle, sliding a second too late for Ohio State to call a timeout for a potential game-winning field goal at Oregon's 26.

Lanning's ploy helped the Ducks win the game and move up to No. 2 in this week's AP Top 25.

3 minutes ago, ArizonaLonghorn said:

Belichickian in my view.

Interesting... I'd be fine with Sark pulling this stunt on if the situation came up! Not sure I view it as cheating, moreso just using the rules to your advantage?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Wabi Sabi said:

Interesting... I'd be fine with Sark pulling this stunt on if the situation came up! Not sure I view it as cheating, moreso just using the rules to your advantage?

It's definitely not cheating. It reminds me of the strategy to sub defense late and take time getting off field if offense subs to try and force an offense timeout or delay of game.

Edited by Hashtag

It's not cheating, it's definitely what I would consider not good sportsmanship. It's basically saying I don't think I can beat you straight up so I use parlor tricks.

I equate this to leflop james and his flops which is why I no longer watch the NBA.  Flopping isn't cheating, but it's also not good basketball.  Completely off topic but this is why I consider Jordan and Kobe the best, they didn't use cheap tricks, they just dominated and dared you to try to stop them.

• Hook 'Em 1