SEC Fines Texas $250,000

Blake Munroe

• Moderators

Per Pete Thamel, the SEC announced that Texas will be assessed a financial penalty of $250,000.

They’ll also be “required to use all available resources, including security, stadium and television video, to identify individuals who threw objects onto the playing field or at the opposing team.”

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, WestlakeLonghorn said:

Worth every single penny to get that call fixed.  Fine the refs next time. 

Just now, WestlakeLonghorn said:

Worth every single penny to get that call fixed.  Fine the refs next time. 

I kinda agree with the finning of the officiating. That was a really bad call and probably the worst call I’ve ever seen. They kinda made the big 12 officiating look great. However the throwing of trash on the field was cringe worthy reminded me of the Herman regime.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Blake Munroe said:

Per Pete Thamel, the SEC announced that Texas will be assessed a financial penalty of $250,000.

They’ll also be “required to use all available resources, including security, stadium and television video, to identify individuals who threw objects onto the playing field or at the opposing team.”

Read too where the SEC has the right to suspend alcohol sales as well. Truly was an embarrassment period. The guys trying to defend it , would they say they same if the situation were reversed? Of course not.  Hopefully never again !

• Hook 'Em 7

39 minutes ago, TTown said:

Read too where the SEC has the right to suspend alcohol sales as well. Truly was an embarrassment period. The guys trying to defend it , would they say the same if the situation were reversed? Of course not.  Hopefully never again !

2012-2021 was embarrassing. I’m glad our fans actually show emotion now and not just a wine and cheese crowd. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1994-1997 was even worse. Nobody showed up for kickoff. We dressed up for games instead of wearing burnt orange & white. It wasn’t until Mack Brown came in 1998 and started the “Come early, Be loud, Wear orange” campaign that you started to see spirit with the fans. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, GoHorns1 said:

Why fine the officials admitted they made a mistake and corrected the call.

The announcers said the call likely got corrected due to the time it was taking to get the bottles off the field giving the booth an opportunity to review.  I'm not condoning the behavior in any way, but it did have an impact on the outcome it would seem.  You reprimand and possibly frame the refs for making such an egregiously bad call that incited a fan section to throw bottles.  Again, not condoning the behavior, it was an embarrassment on the biggest stage (almost as bad as our offense), but the refs had their hand in it.

• Hook 'Em 3

Anyone thinking that Texas will probably do nothing is dreaming. The SEC statement requires Texas “to use all available resources, including security, stadium and television video, to identify individuals who threw objects onto the playing field or at the opposing team. All individuals identified as having been involved in disrupting the game shall be prohibited from attending Texas Athletics events for the remainder of the 2024-25 academic and athletic year.”

Here are the SEC bylaws/regulations on this.

“If cans or plastic bottles are used as projectiles or otherwise cause game management issues, the institution is subject to an immediate fine and suspension of the alcohol sales privilege.”

The Conference is not suspending alcohol sales privileges for the University of Texas at this time but reserves the right to do so if other requirements outlined above are not met.

Edited by VaHorn
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Waxahorn said:

The call was terrible, but that sort of behavior is unacceptable. Everyone that threw a bottle should be fined by the university.

Texas should not allow any tickets for any future event to anyone who threw a bottle on the field.  Its done at all venues.  Any students who did that should be expelled from the university.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, CJ Vogel said:

SEC threatening an alcohol ban as well. 

🤣 The SEC can F off with that one. Officials should be embarrassed for making the call in the first place. Considering impact and game situation I think it was the single worst call I have seen in almost 30 years of going to UT games. The Charlie Strong OSU situation is the only thing that is even close.

Edited by whereiend
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, justwinbaby said:

Texas should not allow any tickets for any future event to anyone who threw a bottle on the field.  Its done at all venues.  Any students who did that should be expelled from the university.

I believe the article stated those identified will be banned for 24-25 . Not like a lifetime ban . I don't know how they will identify those without assigned seats , but a message has to be sent. Terrible look that has to be addressed . 

If the situation were reversed , all those defending this would be ok with Georgia doing that? I think not . Live and learn . But threatening alcohol sales will get CDC 's attention ha! That's a revenue stream and he is all about that $ as he should be!