Way-Too-Early 2024 SEC Rankings (Feb. 9)

• Moderators

Tennessee Vols 2024 Schedule

• Aug 31: Chattanooga at Tennessee
  • Sept. 7: vs. NC State in Charlotte 
  • Sept. 14: Kent State at Tennessee
  • Sept. 21: Tennessee at Oklahoma
  • Oct. 5: Tennessee at Arkansas
  • Oct. 12: Florida at Tennessee
  • Oct. 19: Alabama at Tennessee
  • Nov. 2: Kentucky at Tennessee
  • Nov. 9: Mississippi State at Tennessee
  • Nov. 16: Tennessee at Georgia
  • Nov. 23: UTEP at Tennessee
  • Nov. 30: Tennessee at Vanderbilt

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, HornsRUs said:

Interesting that 6 out of the 8 SEC teams Texas is playing this year are in the bottom half of your rankings 

Should I change it to give the Horns a SOS boost 😉 

• Haha 1

Late to the party as usual, don't know if anyone will read this but if so, my sleeper pick is LSU.  Not to win the conference but to finish 3rd or 4th, their new defensive staff will put some life into that side of the ball, they're all experienced coaches who know how to coach.  (agree there are questions about Raymond these days, but this is a chance to restore his reputation) 

And if you look at their schedule, the teams they play on the road are aggie, south carolina, arkansas, and florida making those road games much more winnable than others.  Their toughest games are all at home, bama, ole miss, and ou.  I think with that schedule it would not surprise me if they win 10 games.  Which will be really annoying because it means their recruiting momentum will only build. 

Edited by t.newman

Ole Miss will make noise due to their schedule. I actually think due to schedule we should be ahead of Georgia, but it may not matter given their talent level tbh. I think Auburn will be good this year. I think OU & LSU will struggle. I’m also fading Missouri & Tennessee more because I feel like Missouri caught lightning in a bottle last year & took people by surprise. I don’t think they’ll have that advantage this year. For Tennessee I don’t have a real great reason why, I just think Iamaleava may be a year away from really good qb play & we say last year that with only good qb play that they struggled in big games. I’m also fading Alabama too. I know DeBoer has won everywhere, but the SEC is a different level. I think he may go 8-4 & people will be talking because he will lose some big games that they’re not used to losing. I just think it’s too hard to follow a legend & once they lose a couple games then the feeling around the program will be way much different than with Saban. Just my thoughts.

On 2/9/2024 at 12:21 PM, Gerry Hamilton said:

Big fan of Ole Miss making a run to the 12 playoff this season. 

On top of talent putting them close to each other, the bromance with Sark & Lane, and both being in the SEC… I think Ole Miss in powder blues and Texas in stormtrooper whites would be amazing to watch.

AND you’ve got the Manning and OleMiss angle. I’d love that game. 

On 2/9/2024 at 2:04 PM, Gerry Hamilton said:

Georgia Bulldogs 2024 Football Schedule

• Aug. 31 - vs Clemson (Atlanta, Ga.)
  • Sept. 7 - vs Tennessee Tech
  • Sept. 14 - @ Kentucky
  • Sept. 21 - BYE
  • Sept. 28 @ Alabama
  • Oct. 5 - vs Auburn
  • Oct. 12 - vs Mississippi State
  • Oct. 19 - @ Texas
  • Oct. 26 - BYE
  • Nov. 2 - vs Florida (Jacksonville, Fl.)
  • Nov. 9 - @ Ole Miss
  • Nov. 16 - vs Tennessee
  • Nov. 23 vs UMass
  • Nov. 30 vs Georgia Tech

Georgia's going to have to earn that 12-0. More so than any of the previous few years. 

On 2/10/2024 at 12:56 AM, horns96 said:

Is Milroe even going to be at Bama when the season starts?  I just don’t see him running DeBoer’s offense.

Will also be interesting to see if Kiffin can build a cohesive and functional OL out of portal transfers.

CJ makes the point that DeBoer wins wherever he's been.  Winning coaches can mold schemes to fit their talent.  Especially a potential Heisman talent.

22 minutes ago, Thailand T Sip said:

CJ makes the point that DeBoer wins wherever he's been.  Winning coaches can mold schemes to fit their talent.  Especially a potential Heisman talent.

It's worth noting here that Bond and Niblack transferred to Texas because Milroe didn't have the ability to get them the ball much. They think Ewers can get them the ball. It may be true that DeBoer can adapt well, but it's also true that his offense has looked quite similar wherever he's been, and that's always been based on a QB that reads defenses well and throws the ball accurately all over the field. If Milroe is the starter next season, I think Bama is looking at eight wins, plus or minus one. If DeBoer can get a QB that can do what DeBoer has shown he likes to do, Bama is probably at ten wins, plus or minus one. Heisman voting can't really be taken too seriously.

• Hook 'Em 1