Commentary: Arch and Simms

Simms has always been mistreated or misunderstood by UT fans. I am not sure if it was all the hype surrounding him out of HS, him replacing fan favorite Major, that he did not perform up to expectations in several key games, or (probably) many Longhorn fans are just obsessive jerks. I truly hope that Sark brings him back upon the 40 Acres soon. Longhorn fans need to let go whatever anger (no matter how delusional) aimed at him and embrace him as a lifetime Longhorn. 

• Hook 'Em 8

That 2001 season was my first semester on campus. I had no idea he was getting death threats and his cell phone doxxed. I remember everyone was pissed after the Colorado debacle but no one in my circle was talking about anything like that. 

Sucks he feels disconnected from a place where he should feel like family. Wish we could bring him back in the fold like VY and Colt. He was big setting the stage for big time QB play at Texas and a decade of excellence. That's how I'll always remember him. 

• Hook 'Em 9

10 hours ago, Hermanator said:

That 2001 season was my first semester on campus. I had no idea he was getting death threats and his cell phone doxxed. I remember everyone was pissed after the Colorado debacle but no one in my circle was talking about anything like that. 

Sucks he feels disconnected from a place where he should feel like family. Wish we could bring him back in the fold like VY and Colt. He was big setting the stage for big time QB play at Texas and a decade of excellence. That's how I'll always remember him. 

It happened. Unfortunately.

I hope, as he gets older, fences can be mended. He played hard and played well for Texas.

Was he perfect? No. But he was very much a big part of putting Texas football among the nation’s elite. And he doesn’t get enough, or even much, credit for that. 

• Hook 'Em 5

• Moderators

Chris Simms was a massively important recruit for Mack Brown and Texas at the time. It changed the way people looked at Texas in the recruiting world IMO.

He wasn't there for the NC, obviously, but he was a key part of the momentum beginning and happening in recruiting. 

• Hook 'Em 7

14 minutes ago, justwinbaby said:

Arch transfer talk is all click bait.

Texas fans need to welcome Chris Simms back to Austin.  Not all his fault for the football team not having success during his time there.

Texas had success with Simms at QB.

His tenure really put Texas back among the nation’s elite. He may not have broken through for that final championship but he certainly helped Texas get back into that conversation.

• Hook 'Em 3

Simms did not quite meet the lofty expectations he was tagged with coming in, but he had a good career with Texas and the team did have good success while he was there (26-6 Record).  Simms was tougher than he was given credit for.  I was sitting on Row 3 at the Cotton Bowl vs OU in 2001 - Simms impressed me on how he physically stood up to a beating by that highly rated defense in a 14-3 loss.  I hope he can bury the hatchet with UT and the antics of some overzealous fans of the day. 

• Hook 'Em 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Dolphorn said:

Simms did not quite meet the lofty expectations he was tagged with coming in, but he had a good career with Texas and the team did have good success while he was there (26-6 Record).  Simms was tougher than he was given credit for.  I was sitting on Row 3 at the Cotton Bowl vs OU in 2001 - Simms impressed me on how he physically stood up to a beating by that highly rated defense in a 14-3 loss.  I hope he can bury the hatchet with UT and the antics of some overzealous fans of the day. 

Simms was definitely tough. Agree 100% ... not talked about enough. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Great comments, Bobby. 

Totally agree that the Simms commitment was a catalyst for the program's future success. 

I went to the Holiday Bowl vs. Oregon in 2000. Incredible game with 2 things that I vividly remember. 1. We returned a KO for a TD for the first time in forever(thank you, Victor Ike!) and 2. Simms threw three absolute SEEDS in the end zone to Roy, BJ, and Sloan that all could have been caught to win the game. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Bobby Burton said:

It happened. Unfortunately.

I hope, as he gets older, fences can be mended. He played hard and played well for Texas.

Was he perfect? No. But he was very much a big part of putting Texas football among the nation’s elite. And he doesn’t get enough, or even much, credit for that. 

Would be cool to have him on the show with Rod one evening.

• Hook 'Em 4

How is it that Major is in the Longhorn Athletics Hall of Honor, but Simms isn't?  If Major's in there, then Simms should be also.  I wasn't a huge Simms fan and felt he was elevated to starter before he earned it by his play at Texas, but he was clearly a good teammate based upon comments from former teammates (such as Rod B).  And the sh*t he had to put up with gives more reason for him to be in.

/SOAPBOX ON

While I'm on my soapbox, I have never understood how they have added some and ignored others for the HoH.  For example, the late 70s/early 80s teams have some peeps who should be in, but aren't.  Of course, guys from that era like Kenneth SIms, Steve McMichael, and Terry Tausch were selected, but imo others on those teams are worthy and ignored.

• Bruce Scholtz played solid football at Texas, was a second round draft pick of the Seahawks and started seven years at LB in Seattle before finishing his NFL career in New England.  He was part of the Seahawks first playoff teams.
  • Ricky Churchman was a leader on those teams from his Safety spot, was drafted in the fourth round by the Niners and started at Safety as a rookie.  He kept that position his second year until he got injured.  He got a Super Bowl ring that year, although his injuries kept him out of the playoffs and ended his career after three years.
  • Robin Sendlein was a celebrated LB on those teams and was drafted in the second round by the Vikings.  He spent seven years in the NFL with the VIkings and Dolphins.

There are others from across the years and there seems to be no rhyme nor reason as to folks who are in vs. others who seem to be deserving.  Just something that has bugged me over the years every time they announce a new class of inductees.

/SOAPBOX OFF