Insider Texas Baseball Notes Before Season Opener

Tanner Witt is still not 100%?  He should be well healed from his surgery (season before last) and hitting his stride now.  This kid's potential is very high so I am surprised that he is viewed as questionable for one of our weekend starting spots. What am I missing?   I expect him to dominate as the season progresses. 

Edited by TexasMDcoach

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, TexasMDcoach said:

Tanner Witt is still not 100%?  He should be well healed from his surgery (season before last) and hitting his stride now.  This kid's potential is very high so I am surprised that he is viewed as questionable for one of our weekend starting spots. What am I missing?   I expect him to dominate as the season progresses. 

I don’t think it’s a matter of being 100% healed, but more his pitching isn’t 100% where they want it to be for a starter role. 

2 hours ago, Blake Munroe said:

I don’t think it’s a matter of being 100% healed, but more his pitching isn’t 100% where they want it to be for a starter role. 

Some people don’t ever recover from Tommy John’s. Look at Dre Duplantier. He wasn’t at Witt’s level before injury/surgery but he had high hopes and potential. He still tries hard but has never found his pitching since the surgery. I sure hope Witt can rebound. Looking back seems like he probably pushed too hard to get back last year. 

4 hours ago, Blake Munroe said:

Definitely. That’s the only thing that gives me pause, but the talent is there. 

Yes sir talent is there. The pitching might be ugly at times early in the season this year but hopefully it all comes together at least by mid conference. 

7 hours ago, Blake Munroe said:

That would be AWESOME! Already told my wife a trip to the CWS is in order for Father’s Day. 

My 10 yr old end of the year tourney is the SlumpBuster in Omaha during the CWS. Meet me there Texas. Been twice, '02 and '05. Soooo....