What Constitutes Success For Texas

Moving to the SEC, what would you consider success for the Horns?  It's a big step up in competition (big boy football).  The bar isn't as high as last year to get into the CFP.  I think Texas has 2 losses regular season and at least 1 CFP win.  Yalls thoughts.

• Hook 'Em 3

• Moderators

10-2 is always a good starting point unless Nick Saban has been your coach in college football for a 15 year run. 

The schedule has become very favorable with the Michigan HC/staff changes + the huge talent loss, and Florida struggling to get it going under Napier. 

• Hook 'Em 10

9 hours ago, HTXHorn said:

The bar has been raised for me with this team. I would be disappointed with anything less than 11 season wins and 1 CFP win (maybe 2).

Man, that’s a tough ask.

Not saying you’re wrong, just the expectation level is super high. 

• Hook 'Em 6

10 hours ago, watty7796 said:

Moving to the SEC, what would you consider success for the Horns?  It's a big step up in competition (big boy football).  The bar isn't as high as last year to get into the CFP.  I think Texas has 2 losses regular season and at least 1 CFP win.  Yalls thoughts.

I’m in the 9+ win range annually. It’s possible that ups to 10+ annually.

I’m just not there yet. I want to see the Horns play a year in the SEC first. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Depends on what they have in 2nd and 3rd year guys who will be counted on to fill roles of departing players. 

Depends on how good Ewers can be throwing to more speed than he's had before in his 3rd year starting. 

Depends on who gets injured and how severely. 

Way too early to set any expectations. Ask me on October 15th

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bobby Burton said:

Man, that’s a tough ask.

I think "disappointed" for me is a relative term.  I don't gamble, but if I did, I wouldn't put money on my expectations.

10 wins in our inaugural year in the SEC should be considered a success.  

• Hook 'Em 3

I'm at 10-2 if we get the same Quinn from last year. 

If teams can run on us more consistently this year, we will have a hard time going above that.

The middle of the defense will pretty much determine our ceiling unless Quinn becomes a Heisman frontrunner with his consistent play.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Bobby Burton said:

Man, that’s a tough ask.

Agreed, but if the question is what is the perception/expectation of the casual fan, I think as you do, they are overly optimistic. Not saying it can't happen, but the progress made will have to be confirmed on the field. If it happens then a 2025 , 11-1 with a CFP Championship is realistic

• Hook 'Em 2

My heart tells me 10-11 regular season wins and at least one win in the CFP. My PTSD (which is much better) tells me three losses. But I’m going with a combo of the two. 10-2 and play in the National title game. Our schedule this first year is about as good as we could’ve hoped in the SEC and they’re just aren’t any teams nationally that look dominant at this point outside of maybe Georgia. 

• Hook 'Em 2

For me the measure of success is the same standard it’s always been.  I’m fine going 1-11, so long as that W comes against OU.

Vegas has Texas RSW’s at (-100) which is even odds, set to 10.5 Wins.  In order for the Over to hit, we win all our games and go 1-1 against GA and Michigan.  That would put us at #1 or #2 in the country heading into championship weekend.

Clearly, by all standards, Vegas thinks Texas is going to have a successful year.

IMG_5746.png

Edited by SkiBreck
  • Hook 'Em 1

Showing off development within the program first. We understand we can recruit High School and Portal players at a high level, but are we doing enough to sustain continued success with ability to go “next man up” and not have much drop off.  We are still Texas so winning is in our culture, but for Texas to be “back” we have to have a sense of consistency.

• Hook 'Em 1