What Constitutes Success For Texas

Success for Texas is A) Making the CFP Playoff...and...depending on positioning, B) Winning at least one game in the CFP.  (UNLESS we qualify Top 4, and get a first round bye....THAT would constitute a successful season..In my opinion. 

Edited by richtinthe903
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, SabraHorn said:

9-10 per year depending on schedule and where in the development cycle is Texas at the key positions.

This year it is 8 conference games.  Next year and moving forward it is 9 conference games.

As an alum, I never want to see Texas go to the SEC cupcake special in November if ever.  Playing UM and anOSU OOC is a serious recruiting pitch.

Success is in the SEC CCG and a victory or two in the CFP.  Texas has to play their depth over the season.  No coach is accustomed to that.  Circles of trust must expand as each season progresses.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think a trip to the 12 team playoff is now the new expectation. The bar has been set. Texas was ahead of schedule in making a 4 team CFP. 

Texas is organically building depth across the boards and developing players and a culture of success on and off the field. Excellence is expected from this staff and team. Anything less than the playoffs is a huge loss for the program at this point and going forward.

• Hook 'Em 2

Attempting to temper expectations for next years team is proving to be very challenging for me, personally. This team has a great shot to (and perhaps should) be as good or better at every position group, with the exception of DT, and maybe WR (depending on how the transfers pan out) and LB IMO. Although RB and P might be concerns also.

For me, anything less than 10 wins in the regular season would be "disappointing." 10 wins would certainly get us to the playoff, right?

Edited by eperm25
  • Hook 'Em 2

I see next season having 5 tests- 1. playing um at Ann Arbor 2. ou 3. georgia at home 4. aggie 5. playoffs (making playoffs and having some success)

If we win 4/5 that's 80%, that's success for me.  

Bonus points if players are winning/being finalist for national awards- Quinn for Heisman, Banks for Outland, Bond for Biletnikoff, (would love to see Barron in consideration for Thorpe...)

Edited by t.newman
additional thought
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, watty7796 said:

Moving to the SEC, what would you consider success for the Horns?  It's a big step up in competition (big boy football).  The bar isn't as high as last year to get into the CFP.  I think Texas has 2 losses regular season and at least 1 CFP win.  Yalls thoughts.

I think the biggest thing for the program is not to take a step back and have people questioning if 2023 was a fluke. I would like to see 10 wins, compete for the SEC title until the last week of the regular season, and make the playoffs. Talk of 12 wins is drunken fan nonsense. Its possible, but not probable. 

• Hook 'Em 3

A win against Michigan is doable now with all of their turnover, and will set the tone for the season. A win against ou and a win against atm will represent success for me, no matter how the rest of the season goes. Both Texas and ou get a buy week before the game, so that's a scratch, and atm has an easier schedule leading up to the Texas game. A win against Georgia would be like beating Alabama last year. It could happen! However, playing ou the week before Georgia is going to make it tough! ...and I'm not counting on Mississippi State to soften up Georgia the week before the Texas match up. Like the Florida game, a buy week before Georgia would have been nice. The buy week before the Florida game and their tough schedule will help Texas win this game. That being said, I trust Texas to go 10-2 with a few playoff victories. P.S. Getting to the National Championship game, thus playing 16 games, is going to be brutal! Unfortunately, every BiG game could very well come down to key injuries, and unexpected ref calls.

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Shane said:

That SEC podcast had this analytics guy on that had Texas 12-0 in the regular season. I personally don’t see that happening unless Quinn goes scorched earth all season. 

I don’t either. Hit me back after the spring and portal on that one!

• Hook 'Em 1

Honestly I think the floor is always staying in the top 25, mostly staying in the top 15 (thus contending for the CFP every year), and when things align right making serious runs for the SEC championship and national championship.. we should have a few of these openings in the next few years (this year with an experienced QB and OL, perhaps in another 2 years with a seasoned Arch and mature 2023-2024 recruiting classes).  I'd love to say going 10-2 every season is going to be the expectation, but outside of bama under saban and recently georgia with a weaker SEC east year in and year out (which will no longer be the SEC format), that is not the norm for the SEC.

• Hook 'Em 1

The 4 most likely losses on Texas schedule next year are( in order of most likely to happen):

1. Georgia

2. Oklahoma

3. Arkansas

4. Texas A&M

Some will say Arkansas sucks. As bad as they were last year, Arkansas nearly beat LSU and Alabama on the road. Plus, they get 2 weeks to prepare for Texas, the game is in Fayetteville, and it's Arkansas' Jihad game. 

If Texas wins 2 of the 4 games mentioned above, that would put them at 10-2 and in the playoffs. I think that is a reasonable expectation for this team.

Edited by aggiecutter
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Quinncent McManning, Jr. said:

Honestly I think the floor is always staying in the top 25, mostly staying in the top 15 (thus contending for the CFP every year), and when things align right making serious runs for the SEC championship and national championship.. we should have a few of these openings in the next few years (this year with an experienced QB and OL, perhaps in another 2 years with a seasoned Arch and mature 2023-2024 recruiting classes).  I'd love to say going 10-2 every season is going to be the expectation, but outside of bama under saban and recently georgia with a weaker SEC east year in and year out (which will no longer be the SEC format), that is not the norm for the SEC.

I like this.  I think 10-2 or 11-1 next year may be the expectation for next year with our schedule and returning talent/transfers but staying in the top 15 every year should be the goal and hopefully new standard.  Especially with the new CFP format.

4 hours ago, Bobby Burton said:

I’m in the 9+ win range annually. It’s possible that ups to 10+ annually.

I’m just not there yet. I want to see the Horns play a year in the SEC first. 

I agree Bobby at least sitting here in February without a clear picture on the make up of the entire team especially on defense. I know some are thinking the schedule isn’t tough but I disagree. Georgia is obviously going to be tough but there are 3 rivalry games on the schedule. That’s a huge number of rivalry games in one season. Those rivalry games aren’t cake walk games in my opinion. Fayetteville at night is not much different than Aggie land. Kentucky won’t be easy either. Florida may not have a great record by then but they have talent. 

• Hook 'Em 3