What Constitutes Success For Texas

1 hour ago, BurntOrangeMD said:

A win against ou and a win against atm will represent success for me, no matter how the rest of the season goes. 

Cannot agree there. 

There's a chance Texas enters the season along with Georgia and OSU as the three best teams on paper. Best combination of talent, depth, and top end experienced talent at QB. If that's the case then being in the SEC title game and in the playoffs should be the expectation given not only what Texas has but what others (OU, Alabama, Michigan) no longer have. 

Of course on paper can burn up quick with injuries to key players and/or lack of development and focus. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bobby Burton said:

Just wait!

I will say, 99% of my friends and all my co workers are huge Georgia fans . They already bark at me . Every. Single . Day. But, most Georgia fans see Texas as the only team standing between them and the SEC title this year. Finebaum had one of the Georgia beat writers on last week and said Texas is Georgias primary focus this off season. If Kirby sees Texas as an opponent to prioritize , that speaks to the success sark has had building this program

• Hook 'Em 2

With a returning QB heading into his 3rd season at the helm, along with 4/5 returning OL..  This team should be a playoff team at the very least and despite the questions we have in the interior of the DL and the LB.. this team is configured enough for a CFP title.

• Hook 'Em 2

I believe Geogia is by far the toughest of the opponents however the rivalry games are very unpredictable.   Jokelahoma always plays tough ( throw out the records and hold on type of games) renewed with baby brother at TAMU who will be playing with a chip or the old SW Conf opponent with Arkansas who thoroughly whipped our butts  last time we played.  I don't think any of those teams can be overlooked regardless of record.  Kentucky will be a problem if we don't figure out the DT position.  There a ton of questions.  Can't wait for the answers.

• Hook 'Em 2

To me, the bar for the coming year, much like for the basketball team, is making the playoff. Texas has alot of things working in their favor, returning qb, depth at most positions, manageable schedule.

Would love them to make a run in the playoffs but i have to see how they play first. If Sark can keep the momentum, making the playoff should be an annual thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

Initially just from the macro level I would have said 10-2. However, with how all the chips have fallen between the schedule, portal success and big changes like the situation at Michigan I'm heavily leaning towards 11-1. I would be let down if we lose to both Michigan and Georgia. I would be disappointed if we lost to anyone other than UGA or Michigan. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Texas fan in Georgia said:

I will say, 99% of my friends and all my co workers are huge Georgia fans . They already bark at me . Every. Single . Day. But, most Georgia fans see Texas as the only team standing between them and the SEC title this year. Finebaum had one of the Georgia beat writers on last week and said Texas is Georgias primary focus this off season. If Kirby sees Texas as an opponent to prioritize , that speaks to the success sark has had building this program

Add them to our list of new “rivals.” Leaving the Big XII doesn’t take the target off of our back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Cannot agree there. 

There's a chance Texas enters the season along with Georgia and OSU as the three best teams on paper. Best combination of talent, depth, and top end experienced talent at QB. If that's the case then being in the SEC title game and in the playoffs should be the expectation given not only what Texas has but what others (OU, Alabama, Michigan) no longer have. 

Of course on paper can burn up quick with injuries to key players and/or lack of development and focus. 

What Constitutes Success for Texas? After last year's 2023 successful season, the expectation of beating the hell out of ou and atm this year will stand above the rest for most of us. 

Come December, another way to disagree, might be to say something like this: I sure am glad Texas went 10 - 2, in 2024, even though they only lost to ou and atm.

I shuddered just typing that! 

We all know that no Texas fan would ever say a thing like that! 

• Hook 'Em 1

Anybody who says realistic expectations are 9-3 is lying to themselves as a hedge against future disappointment. I know because I do the same thing. You tell yourself 9-3 is reasonable so when we go 10-2 you won't be disappointed. 

11-1 is the objectively reasonable expectation. I get that its the SEC and blah blah blah. The Big 12 wasn't as bad as you all think or, at least, the SEC is not as good. Our schedule sets up amazing. The only team that we play who will be outright better than us is UGA. The only other teams that will come close in terms of coaching and talent are OU and A&M. If we lose to both of those teams...,man. 9-3 will be the least of our problems. 

Again, the schedule sets up great. We are better than 90% of the teams we play. 11-1 is not the floor, but it is reasonable. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The minimum regular season we should be shooting for is 10-2. Most years, IMO, 10-2 gets you into the CFP. I'll have to determine what we consider post season success after a few years of the new format. If you're constantly making it and getting bounced in the 1st round then that's basically just the Dallas Cowboys and not successful. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, BurntOrangeMD said:

What Constitutes Success for Texas? After last year's 2023 successful season, the expectation of beating the hell out of ou and atm this year will stand above the rest for most of us. 

Come December, another way to disagree, might be to say something like this: I sure am glad Texas went 10 - 2, in 2024, even though they only lost to ou and atm.

I shuddered just typing that! 

We all know that no Texas fan would ever say a thing like that! 

I respect your opinion but I have a hard time thinking going 10-2 losing those 2 games would be worse than going 2-10 winning only those 2 games. Those games are rivalry games we want to win but we have much bigger fish to fry heading into the SEC. We need to establish consistent success, continue to build recruiting, and push towards winning a NC. Depending on how spring portal and off-season development shake out we could be a top 3 talented team with a top 3 QB in the nation this coming season. It's very possible

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

I respect your opinion but I have a hard time thinking going 10-2 losing those 2 games would be worse than going 2-10 winning only those 2 games. Those games are rivalry games we want to win but we have much bigger fish to fry heading into the SEC. We need to establish consistent success, continue to build recruiting, and push towards winning a NC. Depending on how spring portal and off-season development shake out we could be a top 3 talented team with a top 3 QB in the nation this coming season. It's very possible

"2 - 10."  Now that's a reach! 

1 hour ago, FootLaw said:

I'd say 10-2 is a successful season, plausible, and gets us in the playoffs.  Beat Michigan, OU, and Georgia and we are definitely in at 10-2.

Replacing the middle of our defense will be key.  

They beat those three teams they better not lose two games to the rest of the schedule

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

They beat those three teams they better not lose two games to the rest of the schedule

Understandable but you never know in the SEC. Bama got lucky against a terrible Auburn but goes on to beat Georgia. It's a hard conference.

• Hook 'Em 2