Running Back: Strengths and Questions

One of the expected strengths of the Texas football team in 2024 should be the running back room.

But not necessarily in a typical way.

There’s not a single back expected to carry the load. There’s no Bijan Robinson expected to be RB1 off the board in the NFL draft.

Rather, it’s the cumulative nature of the RB room that has folks hopeful.

So I wanted to take a deeper dive on what those aspects, those strengths, are and perhaps take a look at perceived shortfalls, too.

Cedric Baxter

Relative Strengths: strong inside runner, good hands, willing blocker, one cut quickness, can run through arm tackles

Question Marks: could add even more strength, patience, can he make people miss?, durability

Jaydon Blue

Relative Strengths: acceleration, speed, excellent hands, feel for outside run

Question Marks: pass protection, ball security, tackle breaking, short-yardage

Tre Wisner

Relative Strengths: acceleration, quickness, darter, can make people miss, excellent hands

Question Marks: size, blocker?, can he handle every-down responsibilities?

Savion Red

Relative Strengths: quick feet, decisive runner, tough, can make people miss, well-rounded

Question Marks: what is he great at?, not a breakaway guy, consistency, size

That leaves the two newcomers to consider.

We have little info about Jerrick Gibson and Christian Clark beyond their high school film.

And high school strengths don’t always translate. However, we know they have some specific traits.

Jerrick Gibson

Traits: Excellent size and strength; downhill runner

Christian Clark

Traits: Very tough, excellent feet in the hole; good quickness

With both Gibson and Clark, it’s about what else they can add to the room in Year One.

Can one of them become a short-yardage or goal-line back? That seems to be a possible opening for either to contribute early.

As we talk about the RBs this off-season, let’s do so in the context of what they bring to the table and what roles they can fill based on their strengths. Because that’s what Steve Sarkisian is going to try to showcase.

View full news

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Texasborn91 said:

On paper… theres probably what? 3 or 4 college defenses that can match up? Just so much talent and experience. With the variety of RBs that we have are we thinking that helps us in the red zone this year? 

Texas needs to find a run-game identity in the red zone this year. They also need to better define what they want from the red-zone passing attack.

I felt like Texas preferred the RPO passing game but that's not enough.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Bobby Burton said:

One of the expected strengths of the Texas football team in 2024 should be the running back room.

But not necessarily in a typical way.

There’s not a single back expected to carry the load. There’s no Bijan Robinson expected to be RB1 off the board in the NFL draft.

Rather, it’s the cumulative nature of the RB room that has folks hopeful.

So I wanted to take a deeper dive on what those aspects, those strengths, are and perhaps take a look at perceived shortfalls, too.

Cedric Baxter

Relative Strengths: strong inside runner, good hands, willing blocker, one cut quickness, can run through arm tackles

Question Marks: could add even more strength, patience, can he make people miss?, durability

Jaydon Blue

Relative Strengths: acceleration, speed, excellent hands, feel for outside run

Question Marks: pass protection, ball security, tackle breaking, short-yardage

Tre Wisner

Relative Strengths: acceleration, quickness, darter, can make people miss, excellent hands

Question Marks: size, blocker?, can he handle every-down responsibilities?

Savion Red

Relative Strengths: quick feet, decisive runner, tough, can make people miss, well-rounded

Question Marks: what is he great at?, not a breakaway guy, consistency, size

That leaves the two newcomers to consider.

We have little info about Jerrick Gibson and Christian Clark beyond their high school film.

And high school strengths don’t always translate. However, we know they have some specific traits.

Jerrick Gibson

Traits: Excellent size and strength; downhill runner

Christian Clark

Traits: Very tough, excellent feet in the hole; good quickness

With both Gibson and Clark, it’s about what else they can add to the room in Year One.

Can one of them become a short-yardage or goal-line back? That seems to be a possible opening for either to contribute early.

As we talk about the RBs this off-season, let’s do so in the context of what they bring to the table and what roles they can fill based on their strengths. Because that’s what Steve Sarkisian is going to try to showcase.

View full news

Baxter- He needs to be a more physical runner. Saw flashes of potential, but never really saw consistency. Too many times he just fell forward on first contact. Needs to lift his feet up. 

Red- He got into a bad habit of cutting everything backside and Sark cut the RedCat as a result

Blue/Wisner- Blue has more speed, but very redundant skill sets. Wisner may have more short area quickness. Blue has ball security issues. Both have questions about running between the tackles, until they can prove it. 

I am not ready to call this a strength. I see this as a good collection of potential. The question will be which RB can move beyond being a young player that flashes to a consistent starter. Is there a guy you can give 20 attempts in a slugfest? 

Edited by codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Bobby Burton said:

Texas needs to find a run-game identity in the red zone this year. They also need to better define what they want from the red-zone passing attack.

I felt like Texas preferred the RPO passing game but that's not enough.

agree 100%....If we really want to be the top dog, then we need to be able to call a play and execute even when the defense knows what is coming. Consistency of success in proven plays is a trademark for championship teams. We all know what's coming, but no one can stop it...that's when you know that you've got something really special.

Edited by Nate Russ
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, codaxx said:

I am not ready to call this a strength.

It was a strength at the end of the year. We lost a guy who was going to be finalist for the Doak Walker and didn't really miss a beat. We return everyone and added Gibson and Clark. If it's not a strength next season then something went horribly wrong.

Edit: Just hold on to the damn ball.

Edited by Red Five
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

It was a strength at the end of the year. We lost a guy who was going to be finalist for the Doak Walker and didn't really miss a beat. We return everyone and added Gibson and Clark. If it's not a strength next season then something went horribly wrong.

Edit: Just hold on to the damn ball.

It wasnt not strength last year. It might have been the biggest reason Texas lost to Washington. RBs had success, because of game plans. The run game is strength, when opposing defenses game plan for it. Getting yards, because the defense is willing to give them is different

Against Washington, Baxter and Blue combined for 18 carries for 123 yards and 2 TDs. (and yeah, those fumbles). They'll both be better, and the two guys we added are going to be really good. 

I sentence you to watching Kyle Porter for the rest of the morning. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

A stacked RB room running behind a maturing OL. I'm optimistic about the run game this fall.

Baxter improved across his freshman season and I bet he's close to a bell cow in 2024. 

Blue looked fantastic and brings "juice." I expect him to be a reliable 2nd guy. 

Wisner and Red work hard and flash, but I expect at least one of the freshman will earn carries ahead of them.

Would you prefer to keep the 1k yard rusher or would Texas be more dangerous with RB by Committee with 2 guys around 750 each or 3 guys with around 500?  Off topic will Texas use any 5 wr sets this year?  Opportunities to rush vs throw.  They have the talent in both rooms.  Growth and development are the question marks.

• Hook 'Em 1

I should say I am not worried about RB production this year for the same reason the RBs were successful last year. I dont think there are many teams that will be capable of stopping the Texas offenses by playing honest boxes. Only caveat to that is the SEC is not nearly as flexible in their game plans as the Big 12. It will be interesting to see if the SEC plays safeties back and umbrella type coverages vs Texas or if they simply rely on athletes to make stops. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, watty7796 said:

Would you prefer to keep the 1k yard rusher or would Texas be more dangerous with RB by Committee with 2 guys around 750 each or 3 guys with around 500?  

This is exactly what I'm wondering. Sark has a history of going heavy with one guy. Does he change it up like he did the end of last season?

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Bobby Burton said:

This is exactly what I'm wondering. Sark has a history of going heavy with one guy. Does he change it up like he did the end of last season?

Maybe a Lendale White/Reggie Bush type split of touches between Baxter and Blue?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, codaxx said:

Baxter- He needs to be a more physical runner. Saw flashes of potential, but never really saw consistency. Too many times he just fell forward on first contact. Needs to lift his feet up. 

Red- He got into a bad habit of cutting everything backside and Sark cut the RedCat as a result

Blue/Wisner- Blue has more speed, but very redundant skill sets. Wisner may have more short area quickness. Blue has ball security issues. Both have questions about running between the tackles, until they can prove it. 

I am not ready to call this a strength. I see this as a good collection of potential. The question will be which RB can move beyond being a young player that flashes to a consistent starter. Is there a guy you can give 20 attempts in a slugfest? 

"I am not ready to call this a strength" should be how you open every post, on here and on Surly. I read that line in your post and laughed out loud. The next time you're willing to put a stake in the ground on a position group that you are comfortable calling a team strength heading into the next season will be the first time. 

Oh, and TB is absolutely a team strength heading into next season for anyone that isn't handwringing. It doesn't matter if that is due to the playcaller being able to take advantage of the groups strengths and exploit them (which is the case at Texas with Sarkisian) or if it is due to terrific talent outplaying the opponent, TB should not be a concern for Texas fans heading into 2024.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

"I am not ready to call this a strength" should be how you open every post, on here and on Surly. I read that line in your post and laughed out loud. The next time you're willing to put a stake in the ground on a position group that you are comfortable calling a team strength heading into the next season will be the first time. 

Oh, and TB is absolutely a team strength heading into next season for anyone that isn't handwringing. It doesn't matter if that is due to the playcaller being able to take advantage of the groups strengths and exploit them (which is the case at Texas with Sarkisian) or if it is due to terrific talent outplaying the opponent, TB should not be a concern for Texas fans heading into 2024.

WR, QB, Secondary and OL should all be strengths. There is your first time. 

I would say to have a position group be a strength it should be rated in the top quartile of the conference. 

Edited by codaxx

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

That seems kind of arbitrary, but also very doable. 

it was. top 25-40% something like that. There are great players in bad situations and mediocre players in great situations, that have similar production. I am doing a very poor job of illustrating that idea. 

The number of high quality options in the room makes it a strength. The skill sets are pretty diverse as well. The only question in the room is short yardage, and that's one that is also impacted by who ends up winning the interior OL battle this offseason.

My hope is that with such a stacked room, someone will really step their game up and naturally position themselves as the alpha dog.

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 2

I think both Wisner and Red will be given their shots. About mid-season, I think you might see less of one or the other and one of the frosh get those reps.

I'm interested in seeing more of Wisner. He showed some spark late last year.

Edited by Sirhornsalot
  • Hook 'Em 3

47 minutes ago, Atticus said:

The number of high quality options in the room makes it a strength. The skill sets are pretty diverse as well. The only question in the room is short yardage, and that's one that is also impacted by who ends up winning the interior OL battle this offseason.

My hope is that with such a stacked room, someone will really step their game up and naturally position themselves as the alpha dog.

I think that is a bit of a double edged sword. Specialized RBs can be very good, but they also can tip off the defense. The main reason I am curbing my grade on the RB room is the lack of a complete RB (proven at least). Will someone step up and be a guy that deserves 18 touches? Someone capable of running inside, outside, and catching the ball. 

• Hook 'Em 1

That's fine. I disagree, but you are entitled to your opinion.

Having multiple guys worthy of multiple touches makes you less susceptible to injury and keeps guys fresher throughout the game/season. 

Can you imagine how big of a question mark the position might be if it was mostly Brooks all year last year?

He went down and 2-3 RBs proceeded to have big games down the stretch. 

• Hook 'Em 4