No. 7 Texas vs. No. 2 Tennessee in Round of 32

14 hours ago, harveycmd said:

I'd take Barnes over Terry.

I really like Rick Barnes as a person and representative of the university and I'd take Barnes success. 

...but tonight reminded me why so many people were ready for Barnes to leave.  His brand of basketball is UGLY and he's only one assertive officiating crew away from a loss on most nights.

I remember lots of spirited conversations with Barnes detractors back in the day - the most knowledgable and informed of those detractors being @Gerry Hamilton.

Edited by horns96
  • Hook 'Em 1

Terry was late to pull Hunter off of inbounding the ball, that was a head scratcher. Not trying to drive to the rim once we were in the bonus was also frustrating. Hunter, his turnovers and poor inbounding could be solely blamed for that loss if one was looking for a scapegoat. Sadly this team short of Weaver just didn't play with much heart or discipline and that was reflected in the the final score.

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, Class of 04 said:

Terry was late to pull Hunter off of inbounding the ball, that was a head scratcher. Not trying to drive to the rim once we were in the bonus was also frustrating. Hunter, his turnovers and poor inbounding could be solely blamed for that loss if one was looking for a scapegoat. Sadly this team short of Weaver just didn't play with much heart or discipline and that was reflected in the the final score.

Yes. That was ridiculous that Hunter was still inbounding the ball late into the game ... when Texas finally made the change. It was clear Hunter was melting down early on in the game, and that change should have happened in the first half. 

Texas gave away way too many possessions against a quality defensive team. 

17 TO's... probably 12 unforced.

• Hook 'Em 5

5 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Yes. That was ridiculous that Hunter was still inbounding the ball late into the game ... when Texas finally made the change. It was clear Hunter was melting down early on in the game, and that change should have happened in the first half. 

I guess Terry's actions tell us he wants his guys to work through things, and he hopes showing confidence in them will pay off in the long run. Even so, it's hard to see how you do that in an elimination game.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve been close on this for the last 8 weeks but Abmas is a bum.  Small, slow, can’t defend, turns it over, can’t get to the rim, and supposedly can shoot but only 1 out of 5 games. 

I am no Hunter fan either but the blame going on Hunter and forgetting about Max is silly.  They’re shitty basketball fed off each other 

• Hook 'Em 1

We saw both Hunters last night.  Six or more lazy passes, and then some [too] late heroics. 

I think Terry and the staff coached well this season.  We saw some very exciting games.  RT needs two more years to build a core roster not dependent on one and done portal players [or one and done freshmen, but that era is rapidly coming to its end].  The NCAA tournament did not showcase it but the team played fast most of the season - it was seldom like watching paint dry.  

He is not a perfect coach, but there are FEW WRIGHT Ks to go around.  I think he was too patient with players on several occasions, including with Hunter last night.  I think he missed an open opportunity not playing Chris Johnson extended minutes in the pre-conference, so that he would have become a factor as a tall PG for the team rather than an end of the bench guy.  Gerry, am I missing something about CJ?  Did he not have the skills I thought he had and that I thought he flashed a few times in limited minutes early?  Was he a bad teammate?

And, Chendall Weaver!  I am most sorry to see the season end because there will be no more Weaver moments for eight months.

In the rear view mirror?  I was unhappy with Beard's hiring for two reasons.  I didn't like his preferred style of ball or his penchant for running guys in and out of programs.  Then I had to swallow an "Arterio Morris."  Well, Morris transferred to Kansas but Self kicked him off the team before fall practice because he was charged with a rape soon after he got to Lawrence.

If we can keep RT, Haith, Chris, and that staff largely in tact for a couple more years I think Texas hoops will thrive.  I think they will both recruit and game plan well.  Of course, if Mark Few really wants a warmer climate to finish out his career...

• Moderators
2 hours ago, harveycmd said:

I guess Terry's actions tell us he wants his guys to work through things, and he hopes showing confidence in them will pay off in the long run. Even so, it's hard to see how you do that in an elimination game.

100%. You absolutely can not do that in that win or go home scenario.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

This is my issue with Rodney, it's like he forgets what unfolded in the regular season..  He just frustrates me knowing when the team is struggling or turning over the ball constantly.. he doesn't make an adjustment.  

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

This is my issue with Rodney, it's like he forgets what unfolded in the regular season..  He just frustrates me knowing when the team is struggling or turning over the ball constantly.. he doesn't make an adjustment.  

I mean what adjustments can you really make when your two primary ball-handlers are handing the ball over to the opposition like fun-size candy on Halloween night? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Good news - Did great on  taking the under on Texas games in tourney.  However, 6 million in NIL budget means this is one of the most overpaid teams in sports.  We didn't run 1 inbound play the entire game.  Possessions out of time outs were dismal.  Time to move on...  

Sucks Men's Hoop and baseball are the 2 worst sports on the 40 Acres.  

Gerry , watching Marquette vs Colorado gave me a thought considering your use of the word "embarrassing" concerning the disappointing performance last night. 

Embarrassing reminds me of Chris Jackson of Georgetown melting down when passing the ball to James Worthy of North Carolina in 83 title game. Or Chris Webber calling time out when Michigan didn't have any vs same NC team. Or closer to home, the loss to Abilene Christian in NCAA tournament that ushered Shaka out at Texas. 

Shaka just won to go to the Sweet 16. Does his stay at Texas mean he was an embarrassing coach at the helm of our team? We lost a lot of games like last night. 

My conclusion, is when you choose to repeatedly call out TH arn't you really just blaming RT for having him out there? TH made most of us  crazy this season. Why do you think he left him out there might be a better question?

On 3/24/2024 at 1:38 PM, rocketman said:

Gerry , watching Marquette vs Colorado gave me a thought considering your use of the word "embarrassing" concerning the disappointing performance last night. 

Embarrassing reminds me of Chris Jackson of Georgetown melting down when passing the ball to James Worthy of North Carolina in 83 title game. Or Chris Webber calling time out when Michigan didn't have any vs same NC team. Or closer to home, the loss to Abilene Christian in NCAA tournament that ushered Shaka out at Texas. 

Shaka just won to go to the Sweet 16. Does his stay at Texas mean he was an embarrassing coach at the helm of our team? We lost a lot of games like last night. 

My conclusion, is when you choose to repeatedly call out TH arn't you really just blaming RT for having him out there? TH made most of us  crazy this season. Why do you think he left him out there might be a better question?

RT recruited Hunter to returning.. he also recruited Max in the portal..  He thought he had enough guard play and Hunter regressed even more than a season ago and so did Max.  That is on coaching

On 3/24/2024 at 10:03 AM, GQ03 said:

I mean what adjustments can you really make when your two primary ball-handlers are handing the ball over to the opposition like fun-size candy on Halloween night? 

oh yeah it's always on the players, never on the coach..

Weird since RT recruited Hunter to stay for another season and brought in Max through the portal.. and they both regressed.

Terrific job by Rodney to even get to the tournament and win a game.

2 hours ago, Thiefery said:

oh yeah it's always on the players, never on the coach..

Weird since RT recruited Hunter to stay for another season and brought in Max through the portal.. and they both regressed.

Terrific job by Rodney to even get to the tournament and win a game.

Sure, it's RTs fault that he didn't recruit or land better options but as Gerry mentioned multiple times, Hunter has started over 100 games and you'd think someone with his experience would exhibit more poise. 

The only reason he brought back Hunter and Mitchell were the late decisions from Johnson and Holland to go pro. I will agree Terry passed on some talented guys from the portal for Hunter and Mitchell. The coaching staff will likely make different decisions this portal season. We shall see, if he doesn't get at least one impact player to help take the pressure off of Tre Johnson, his one year on campus will be wasted.

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Neil Leininger said:

The only reason he brought back Hunter and Mitchell were the late decisions from Johnson and Holland to go pro. I will agree Terry passed on some talented guys from the portal for Hunter and Mitchell. The coaching staff will likely make different decisions this portal season. We shall see, if he doesn't get at least one impact player to help take the pressure off of Tre Johnson, his one year on campus will be wasted.

Very well said

Abmas did not regress from last year. Don’t let one or two games cloud your view of the guy.

His FG and 3 point % dropped 1 point from last year. His assist rate actually slightly increased and his turnover rate stayed about the same as his career average. Considering the huge jump in competition all those numbers sound about right, especially when you consider Texas had to ask him to be the primary ball handler after it became obvious Hunter couldn’t handle it.

• Hook 'Em 2

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Assistant Regional Manager said:

Abmas did not regress from last year. Don’t let one or two games cloud your view of the guy.

His FG and 3 point % dropped 1 point from last year. His assist rate actually slightly increased and his turnover rate stayed about the same as his career average. Considering the huge jump in competition all those numbers sound about right, especially when you consider Texas had to ask him to be the primary ball handler after it became obvious Hunter couldn’t handle it.

Agree 100%. Opponents game planned to take him out as much as possible ... his three-point percentage was down 1%, but I bet his average attempt was 1.5-2 feet further behind the line this season too.