Intel on the Jabbar Muhammad Recruitment

• Moderators

Former Washington DB Jabbar Muhammad is in Eugene at the moment wrapping up his official to Oregon.

The Ducks, to me, are the favorite to land the former All-PAC 12 cornerback, despite the family ties Muhammad has to Texas.

A large reason for that is the snap share Muhammad would have with Oregon, and even Alabama for that matter. It is no secret Texas likes to rotate its defensive backs throughout games and the cornerback position is one that will have several capable bodies fighting for playing time in 2024.

Oregon is pitching an immediate starting role for Muhammad. With the former DFW native hoping to increase his draft grade with one final collegiate season, playing time is the highest priority on the list. 

Immediate play time is biggest differentiator in this recruitment to me, and ultimately one that will decide where Muhammad will end up.

View full news

It's like a two fold process for all the rotations. Incremental experience in doing rotations that way but also trying to appease and get the play time so that there's a better chance of retaining players with what the portal and NIL does these days. In the end go somewhere that you're going to be able to maximize your playing time because the next level is the ultimate goal for these players.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, GoHorns1 said:

Jabbar will get much more PT at Oregon than Texas. He goal is to improve his draft ranking which requires lots film for scouts to review. Oregon is a better business decision for draft purposes.

He's got plenty of film already and could have entered the draft this year. I think this is more about playing time generally and NIL. I don't see Texas overreaching in either area.

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators

Oddly enough, the leading snap getters by percentage at Oregon and Texas don't come close to what Muhammad was able to get at Washington.

In 2023, Muhammad was on the field for 87.58% of the Huskies' snaps per PFF.

Texas' leading CB in terms of snap volume was Terrance Brooks at just over 63%. Four Texas CB saw >34% of the team snaps as well.

Leading snap getter at Oregon was Khyree Jackson who saw just over 55% of the Oregon's snaps. However, Oregon is experiencing much more attrition at the position.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, CJ Vogel said:

Oddly enough, the leading snap getters by percentage at Oregon and Texas don't come close to what Muhammad was able to get at Washington.

Texas' leading CB in terms of snap volume was Terrance Brooks at just over 63%. Four Texas CB saw >34% of the team snaps as well.

Interesting.

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, Deadhead_Horn said:

Thanks, CJ. Appreciate the hard work you are putting in for the site. 

Him leaving the visit without a commitment has to give Texas fans a shroud of hope, right? 

The door has yet to shut, but it certainly doesn't indicate the door re-opening. I expect a decision to come later this week, still however, I am trending away from Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, CJ Vogel said:

Leading snap getter at Oregon was Khyree Jackson who saw just over 55% of the Oregon's snaps. However, Oregon is experiencing much more attrition at the position.

Good stuff, CJ... Are you able to see what Ryan Watts' % was when he was healthy? And specifically in the tighter games?

I'm guessing the percentages are slightly skewed since Washington played a TON of close games, whereas Oregon had a bunch of blowouts. We had a few blowouts and I'm guessing Watts would've been our highest % if he had been healthier. 

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Scott Luedecke said:

Good stuff, CJ... Are you able to see what Ryan Watts' % was when he was healthy? And specifically in the tighter games?

I'm guessing the percentages are slightly skewed since Washington played a TON of close games, whereas Oregon had a bunch of blowouts. We had a few blowouts and I'm guessing Watts would've been our highest % if he had been healthier. 

Watts missed the entirety of the Oklahoma and Houston games with injury, then played just one snap against Texas Tech. His adjusted snap count for games he was healthy for is right around 60%.

I do not have specific numbers for tight games however.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, CJ Vogel said:

Watts missed the entirety of the Oklahoma and Houston games with injury, then played just one snap against Texas Tech. His adjusted snap count for games he was healthy for is right around 60%.

I do not have specific numbers for tight games however.

Thanks CJ, I've really been enjoying your contributions!

• Hook 'Em 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Realist Horn said:

Well, if Jabbar is Oregon bound, all we'll have left until the Spring Portal window will be the DL coaching search.

You can expect some winter conditioning workout updates here soon. Texas is just getting started this week.

• Hook 'Em 3

Seems like a pretty simple solution for the Texas staff if they wanted him, promise the same playing time as Oregon. However, we seem to have a mindset about competing for playing time rather than giving it away and I think that will be better long term. If he believes in his abilities he should have the confidence to say I don’t care what team I am on I’m going to be so good they’ll never take me off the field. At least, that’s the player I would hope I am getting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, smokeyiii said:

Seems like a pretty simple solution for the Texas staff if they wanted him, promise the same playing time as Oregon. However, we seem to have a mindset about competing for playing time rather than giving it away and I think that will be better long term. If he believes in his abilities he should have the confidence to say I don’t care what team I am on I’m going to be so good they’ll never take me off the field. At least, that’s the player I would hope I am getting. 

From what I have heard, Texas was pretty upfront in the recruitment with Muhammad that he would have to come in and compete for a starting spot. Oregon basically has the approach that he can come in and have the job immediately.

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, CJ Vogel said:

From what I have heard, Texas was pretty upfront in the recruitment with Muhammad that he would have to come in and compete for a starting spot. Oregon basically has the approach that he can come in and have the job immediately.

Which, if we are being honest, is a suspect approach. Sure, it gets you the player, but what does it do to the locker room? What if Muhammad doesn't play well? I think this just shows the culture differences between Oregon and Texas. Two very successful programs, but I think they operate differently. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Texas is getting the the point where we're stacking talent and don't need to be promising any players a starting position. This is the best problem to have in college football: continually churning the bottom of the roster and making guys compete for the starting positions, making the team as a whole better. Like Bobby said this morning on Coffee and Football, Texas saw Muhammad as a luxury and not a "WE NEED HIM ASAP", whereas Oregon NEEDS him badly. 

• Hook 'Em 3

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Mark said:

Texas is getting the the point where we're stacking talent and don't need to be promising any players a starting position. This is the best problem to have in college football: continually churning the bottom of the roster and making guys compete for the starting positions, making the team as a whole better. Like Bobby said this morning on Coffee and Football, Texas saw Muhammad as a luxury and not a "WE NEED HIM ASAP", whereas Oregon NEEDS him badly. 

Couldn’t agree more. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, CJ Vogel said:

JM needs to have more confidence in himself. He can beat out Brookes pretty easily imo. I do think the coaches may give Brookes some extra shots though given they recruited and flipped him from Osu and he showed faith in Texas. 

6 hours ago, GotElmodontcare said:

JM needs to have more confidence in himself. He can beat out Brookes pretty easily imo. I do think the coaches may give Brookes some extra shots though given they recruited and flipped him from Osu and he showed faith in Texas. 

J Muhammad is a fringe NFL guy. Good player and would help any defense but I don't think he's appreciably better than Brooks, personally.

He's not a shutdown corner. He's a piece of the puzzle, that's the difference I see.

Now Will Johnson at Michigan? That's a shutdown corner.

1 hour ago, Bobby Burton said:

J Muhammad is a fringe NFL guy. Good player and would help any defense but I don't think he's appreciably better than Brooks, personally.

He's not a shutdown corner. He's a piece of the puzzle, that's the difference I see.

Now Will Johnson at Michigan? That's a shutdown corner.

How about 6’4 Zona kid. He seems like a shutdown corner. Brookes was nowhere near JM this year.