Spring Football 2024 Updated Scholarship Count

If I took crazy guesses, maybe Shannon heads back west or Davis actually does go in the portal. Merrill/Chatman only names I'm not familiar with on the OL. Holmes, kinda surprised he didn't transfer with the DB numbers. Savion if he really wanted serious playing time. In my ideal world, Quinn and Arch stand up as leaders and say "We're not hurting in our spots, we'll give up our scholarships. Whatever it takes to keep this team together." But y'know..that's just my dumb hope to not lose anyone with this insane amount of talent on the roster.

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

There's no harm in having a little fun with it all in your mind, but no, most of what you wrote won't happen.

Regarding buying guys out, that's a concept that will almost certainly never get traction. It is really hard to get people to wrap their heads around paying players to be on campus. Trying to convince someone to give a player dead money to leave would get laughed at by all parties. There are 85 spots, paying to have a single one open up doesn't make sense.

Regarding Auburn and the walk-on notion, that's just not how the players and their parents/handlers/agents see any of this. They want the scholarship as a matching of their value on the team, rightly so, and, if they are good enough, should be getting NIL as well. 

Supporters of Texas have experimented with paying walk-ons NIL, or expanding legitimate roster spots with NIL, and the juice isn't worth the squeeze. Other programs have tried it as well and it hasn't gone anywhere for them either. Guys on scholarship resent it, and it doesn't change any walk-on behavior. Guys getting scholarship offers from other big time programs aren't going to take walk-on status for your school.

I get with you are saying with paying walk ons. it's a nice dream to have a bunch of walk ons that are actually good like Nebraska in the 90s (or better).

However, I think the fanbase could do a surlyhorns like burnt ends thing for the TE as a special teams walk on NIL that pays for scholarship value dollar for dollar for any starter that wins a job.   Thus it wouldn't necessarily be a walk on versus not walk on thing, but more of a privilege given to the special teams standouts ala a Bert Auburn.  We could call it the Jeff Banks Special Teams Don't Monkey Around NIL fund or something..

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Quinncent McManning, Jr. said:

I get with you are saying with paying walk ons. it's a nice dream to have a bunch of walk ons that are actually good like Nebraska in the 90s (or better).

However, I think the fanbase could do a surlyhorns like burnt ends thing for the TE as a special teams walk on NIL that pays for scholarship value dollar for dollar for any starter that wins a job.   Thus it wouldn't necessarily be a walk on versus not walk on thing, but more of a privilege given to the special teams standouts ala a Bert Auburn.  We could call it the Jeff Banks Special Teams Don't Monkey Around NIL fund or something..

We have scholarship players that aren’t getting NIL. Some of that is okay and some of it isn’t. If you want to be serious about it, we can crowdfund a young guy in the back of the depth chart who we know they don’t want to visit the portal. I won’t help or support the walk-on notion knowing that, however. 

One key thing to understand here is that the program would need to have input. 

4 hours ago, TTown said:

Wrong on the 1 year Pancake Factory.

He is politely telling you he knows more than you and you should listen to him. Knowing him from where I know him, he isn't always polite. He can be pretty vicious actually.

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Rhorn said:

I counted only 8 I’d let go if I was the GM. That leaves 4 open spots for the portal. 2 DL 1 punter and 1 best available to play with. 

Go read the OP , 89 is the number.

6 hours ago, TTown said:

I am checking on the now part but am certain it was for more than 1 year. Had dialogue with the guy who started it. Maybe you need to check on backgrounds of posters as well. Don't like being snippy but I will play that game if necessary as well.

spacer.png

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

He is politely telling you he knows more than you and you should listen to him. Knowing him from where I know him, he isn't always polite. He can be pretty vicious actually.

I'm taking the under on this, but he has been known to be pretty reasonable and change his mind with spirited debate.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, HTXHorn said:

I have a hard time seeing 4 guys that want to leave.

At the end of the day every player wants to start. There are going to be guys that would probably contribute (special team and depth) for Texas, that will see a better path to the field at another spot. Anytime a younger guys passes an older guy on the depth chart the portal becomes a high probability. I’ll take the over on 4 leaving 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/3/2024 at 3:39 PM, TTown said:

Last time I checked one of the founders of the Pancake Factory said is is still going and that was during the season. May want to check that out , as I believe that is still active 50 K a year with the TE still getting 10 K a year. I'm gonna double check to be sure but it was not just 1 year period!

On 4/3/2024 at 3:40 PM, TTown said:

Wrong on the 1 year Pancake Factory.

On 4/3/2024 at 5:01 PM, TTown said:

I am checking on the now part but am certain it was for more than 1 year. Had dialogue with the guy who started it. Maybe you need to check on backgrounds of posters as well. Don't like being snippy but I will play that game if necessary as well.

Pretty sure I’m who you are referencing from IT…I never said that it was still going. It ended last August because we felt 50k flat to everyone wasn’t aligned with our mission and that higher profile players should receive more based on their NIL. Also mayyyyyybe dig a bit more into CTJ, he’s actually the designer of the greatest playbook the 40 acres has ever seen (sans Shawn Watson)…you’re speaking with Greg Davis my friend

On 4/3/2024 at 5:16 PM, closetojumping said:

I am not going to go into details or resume read to you here, but this back and forth is trending towards one of the funniest frigging experiences I have ever had in my 25 years of being a poster on the boards. 

Back to TPF, it was for one year. It ran for the 2022 roster cycle. It ended last August. That doesn't mean many OLs aren't getting decent-to-great NIL from last August forward. But that isn't TPF. 

Stop now while you are simply behind. 

This back and forth has been one of my favorites I’ve ever seen on the internet. But frankly I am astounded at how pleasant you have been to someone on the internet spouting nonsense, what opiates are you taking? Switch from sativa to indica? Take up meditation? 

• Haha 7

On 4/3/2024 at 10:46 PM, TexasDeathStar said:

I hope everyone on this thread thats preaching the “pay the walk ons heavy in NIL too keep our numbers at 85” is donating too the Texas OneFund. You can donate a minuscule amount like myself, or be a high roller like @Bobby Burton but anything helps. 

They need to figure out how to allocate the billion dollar media rights deals from corporate media businesses amongst all the players - not demand the dwindling savings of average citizens to fund players 

31 minutes ago, UTJB27 said:

They need to figure out how to allocate the billion dollar media rights deals from corporate media businesses amongst all the players - not demand the dwindling savings of average citizens to fund players 

Cool, no kidding. In the meantime, get a frigging grip and realize that isn’t happening yet. Either donate or don’t, but spare us what amounts to fantasy. 

Including summer transfers and enrollees, there are 89 guys on scholarship. Include Auburn and you get to 90. Include 2-3 new transfers in this portal cycle and you have 92-93. 

Texas will have a minimum of 7-8 guys leave the program before August. That gets you to 85. 

• Hook 'Em 1