Who is your favorite all-time Longhorn and why?

• Moderators

Just out of curiosity, who is your all time favorite Longhorn, regardless of sport, and why do you feel that way?  No wrong answers here.  Doesn't even have to be an athlete.

I'll start. 

Mine is Colt McCoy.  No one gave him much of a chance when he signed and Jevan Snead (Stephenville) was going to be the future. McCoy beats him out and eventually grew into one of the best quarterbacks to ever play not only at Texas, but in all of college football at the time.  By the time he ended his career, he owned 47 school records.

Incredibly good guy off the field as well.  

• Hook 'Em 3

• Blake Munroe changed the title to Who is your favorite all-time Longhorn and why?

From my High School and although I was a 9th grader, loved watching his senior year at Longview. He is what got me to loving UT. James F’ing Street, may he rest in peace. Secondly Earl Campbell. I feel sorry for those too young to get to see the s**t this man did play after play. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Bevo72 said:

My favorite Longhorn would be Freddie Steinmark.  Undersized player with a lot of heart.  His story was a inspiration to me that I have never forgot.  

I read his book. That was about as tough a read as you can get, knowing the ultimate result despite the perseverance he showed.

• Hook 'Em 2

I have followed the Horns since the 60's and this is a really difficult question to answer.  Always gravitated more to the tough guys on defense like Roosevelt Leaks , Steve McMichael, Brad Shearer and of course, Tommy Nobis.  Hard not to pick the Tyler Rose, Vince or Ricky too. But if I had to pick one guy I love I guess it would be Colt McCoy due to his character and consistent greatness for a guy  few thought would amount to one of the greats.  Also still feel gut-punched over that freak injury that denied him the Championship.  (That game and the fumbled punt against Georgia are the two games that hurt the most).  

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, TexasMDcoach said:

I have followed the Horns since the 60's and this is a really difficult question to answer.  Always gravitated more to the tough guys on defense like Roosevelt Leaks , Steve McMichael, Brad Shearer and of course, Tommy Nobis.  Hard not to pick the Tyler Rose, Vince or Ricky too. But if I had to pick one guy I love I guess it would be Colt McCoy due to his character and consistent greatness for a guy  few thought would amount to one of the greats.  Also still feel gut-punched over that freak injury that denied him the Championship.  (That game and the fumbled punt against Georgia are the two games that hurt the most).  

Roosevelt Leaks on defense? The biggest, meanest, nastiest, going to your as*, BAMF on defense was and is CASEY HAMPTON

Edited by GoHorns1
  • Hook 'Em 3

My Dad played Basketball at UT and was a HS coach for his career. We used to watch games together my entire life. The first player I remember watching consistently was QB Marty Akins running the wishbone. He was my first favorite player. That being said, Earl Campbell is my #1. I believe he was the best RB to ever play. When he was with the Oilers, he got all of those yards even though the defense knew he was getting the ball. Just a great player and an awesome face for the university.

• Hook 'Em 2