Texas/NFL Draft

There were two major surprises and one pleasant one on Friday.

First, T’Vondre was selected early on by the Tennessee Titans. The consensus view of Sweat slipping out of the early rounds apparently wasn’t one the Titans subscribed to despite Sweat’s DUI arrest two weeks ago.

Second, Adonai Mitchell slid all the way to no. 52, likely largely on reports that Mitchell was difficult in practice at both Georgia and Texas. Mitchell will now head to Indianapolis where he’ll get a fresh start.

And then the pleasant one… Jonathon Brooks became the second consecutive Longhorn to be selected the first running back in the NFL draft. He’s heading to Carolina.

Anyone who thought Texas lost to a lesser talented Washington team needs to think twice, particularly on offense.

Through the first three rounds, UW has had its QB, three wide receivers and both offensive tackles already taken.

Michigan currently leads with a total of seven players selected in the first. Texas sits at five thus far.

The Wolverines might have as many as 13 players selected by the end of today. That’s even heavier attrition than Texas is likely to see.

JT Sanders, Christian Jones and Jaylan Ford will all almost assuredly be drafted, which will give the Horns eight picks total for comparison.

Good luck to Jordan Whittington, Ryan Watts and Keilan Robinson today. Many think they are all on the fringe of being draft picks.

View full news story

• Hook 'Em 7

# of NFL Draft Picks by School (last 10 years, 2014-2023)

1. Alabama (90)
2. Ohio St. (78)
3. LSU (73)
4. Georgia (68)
5. Clemson (55)
6. Michigan (54)
7. Oklahoma (51)
8. Penn St. (49)
9. Notre Dame (48)
10. Auburn/UCLA (42)

Texas: 26 (including 2 seasons with 0 players drafted).

Takeaway: This 2024 draft of 11 players surpassed the previous high of 8 players (only counting drafts since 1997 when the NFL draft changed to 7 rounds). If we are to be a Top 5 national program consistently, we should expect to average ~7 players drafted per year over a sustained period of time.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, ScottinTexas said:

Bobby, any word on Ryan Sanborn and Jett Bush?  Were there any others hoping to play in the NFL this year?

CJ texted with Sanborn yesterday right after the draft, and like @bourbasted wrote, he is headed to Atlanta. The most coveted non-drafted guys usually make quick decisions post-draft. That's a decent sign for Sanborn that the decision was made so quickly.

• Hook 'Em 4

20 minutes ago, Bobby Burton said:

CJ texted with Sanborn yesterday right after the draft, and like @bourbasted wrote, he is headed to Atlanta. The most coveted non-drafted guys usually make quick decisions post-draft. That's a decent sign for Sanborn that the decision was made so quickly.

If it's the Falcons GM who signed Cousins to 180 million deal, and then turned around and drafted Penix number eight, that wants Sanborn, I'm not sure it's a very good sign.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, harveycmd said:

If it's the Falcons GM who signed Cousins to 180 million deal, and then turned around and drafted Penix number eight, that wants Sanborn, I'm not sure it's a very good sign.

Being a falcons fan is hard. Dumb front office decisions for the last 10 years. Other than Bijan nothing the falcons do will work out. I hope he gets traded tbh. As for sanborn, at least his rookie QB isn’t texting him saying he won’t be punting much here (Caleb Williams to iowas punter)

39 minutes ago, Texas fan in Georgia said:

Being a falcons fan is hard. Dumb front office decisions for the last 10 years. Other than Bijan nothing the falcons do will work out. I hope he gets traded tbh. As for sanborn, at least his rookie QB isn’t texting him saying he won’t be punting much here (Caleb Williams to iowas punter)

Williams is a piece of work. I'd take Daniels or Maye over him because he's such a flake. Since this is a Texas draft thread, I'll add that I'd take Ewers and certainly Arch over Williams in the NFL too. A lot the things Williams got away with in college, like extending the play and holding the ball, aren't likely to translate in the NFL.