Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

According to Google's AI ...

Roughing the Passer Does Not Apply to Laterals

Under NCAA Rule 2-19-2, a pass is only a forward pass if it initially travels toward the opponent's goal line. Because a lateral travels parallel or backward, it is a backward pass, and NCAA Rule 9-1-9 (Roughing the Passer) explicitly does not apply.

With a non call, we intercept the pass and win the game. 
 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Posted

Look, I don't know which play you are referring to but I'm questioning the following trick play... Oklahoma quarterback John Mateer threw a legal backward lateral to wide receiver Isaiah Sategna. Sategna was just a receiver catching a lateral... and therefore NCAA Rule 9-1-9 (Roughing the Passer) explicitly does not apply.

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
Posted
10 minutes ago, Michael Chasnoff said:

Look, I don't know which play you are referring to but I'm questioning the following trick play... Oklahoma quarterback John Mateer threw a legal backward lateral to wide receiver Isaiah Sategna. Sategna was just a receiver catching a lateral... and therefore NCAA Rule 9-1-9 (Roughing the Passer) explicitly does not apply.

Roughing the passer can be called in favor of anyone passing the ball vertically. It doesn’t have to be just for the QB. In this case it was called because of Biles hit on Sategna following his throw. 

  • Hook 'Em 2
Posted

Yes Ref’s wee not the issue 

but I thought the roughing the passer and PI against Phillips were bad calls. 
He called roughing because Biles hit him hard IMO. Bad call

  • Hook 'Em 1
Posted
29 minutes ago, Wentwood said:

Yes Ref’s wee not the issue 

but I thought the roughing the passer and PI against Phillips were bad calls. 
He called roughing because Biles hit him hard IMO. Bad call

Biles had already left his feet prior to the pass.  Kinda hard to change trajectory at that point.  He was committed already.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Posted
11 hours ago, Fritztownhorn said:

I agree, he was Airborne before the release. Not sure what he was supposed to do.

 

Not throw his arms into the passer’s head and neck area, for starters. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Posted
13 hours ago, watty7796 said:

Biles had already left his feet prior to the pass.  Kinda hard to change trajectory at that point.  He was committed already.

Thats why I don’t think it was a penalty 

Posted

I probably need to watch it again, but have no desire too

my thoughts were he did hit him high but was trying to block the pass and follow thru with a hit. 
I did not think he targeted head and neck area????

Doesn’t matter no going back, but that was a huge call. 
Have not read many agreeing with me so probably wrong, but the replay looked like no penalty to me

Posted
14 hours ago, watty7796 said:

Biles had already left his feet prior to the pass.  Kinda hard to change trajectory at that point.  He was committed already.

Can't hit the passer in the head/neck area, which is what he did ...

As for the PI call on (I think) Phillips ... looked clean from the front (and probably real time at the game) but in the replay you can clearly see the DBs left arm wrapped around the neck/shoulder area.  Good call.

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.