ESPN Post-spring Top 25 power rankings

• Gerry Hamilton changed the title to ESPN Post-spring Top 25 power rankings
  • Moderators
45 minutes ago, TexasDeathStar said:

Wild world to actually see KU in a preseason top 25 list…….for football. I agree mostly. ND being so high caught my attention, along with Utah.

I'm pretty high on ND this season ... and that's not normally the case. Think they will have their best offense in a while assuming Riley Leonard stays healthy.

If Cam Rising makes it through a season healthy then Utah will be very very good! 

I think MIchigan, FSU, LSU take a big step back

Penn State is exactly where they should be that 8/9 to 14/15 range until they can prove it otherwise.

Clemson is ranked too high

Tennessee is adequately ranked and could be pretty good this year.

Also not sure why USC deserves a ranking at this time. 

2 minutes ago, Hashtag said:

If Cam Rising makes it through a season healthy then Utah will be very very good! 

Penn State is exactly where they should be that 8/9 to 14/15 range until they can prove it otherwise.

I’m back and forth on Michigan. If you asked me 2 months ago, I’d say Texas walks into that building and rolls. But that defense is still gonna be a major problem to solve. The offense on the other hand, questions everywhere besides running back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hashtag said:

I actually think FSU will have a good season again because Norvell is a really good coach, but I agree with everything else! Also, I can see why they put USC 25 right now because I’m not sure who else they can rank looking at the teams missing out lol

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, pflughorn2016 said:

I just don’t understand the Ohio St fascination. They’re loaded with talent, yes, but WILL HOWARD IS THEIR QUARTERBACK

Ohio State can beat most of their scheduled opponents with me playing QB.  The talent gap between tOSU, Michigan and the rest of the historical Big Ten (Iowa, Minn, Indiana, Purdue, et al) is far wider than the top of the SEC to the middle of the SEC (and even to the bottom half of the SEC).

Ohio State only has 2-3 realistically possible losses on the schedule in any given year, and that holds in 2024 as well.  They have a depleted Michigan at home.  Their non-conference is Western Michigan, Akron, and Marshall.  So, if they split road games @Oregon and @ Penn State, they’ll be 11-1 regular season and favored to win the BigTen championship game to finish 12-1 and a top 4 seed in the CFP.

I understand the Will Howard argument, but I don’t see how even a mediocre Howard causes more than one loss for Ohio State this season.  Heck, he’s already better than what Michigan is rolling out at QB.  And it’s been demonstrated that you can beat Penn State without attempting a forward pass for an entire half of football (see Michigan 2023).  Ohio St has Q.Judkins and T.Henderson so running the ball in Chip Kelly’s offense won’t be an issue for them.

And that’s no mentioning that tOSU likely has the best defense in the nation.  I can’t make an argument against tOSU being a top 3 team at this point….as much as I despise tOSU

Edited by Glass Joe
  • Hook 'Em 1

Not a big fan of any poll that teams haven't played a game.  Injury, players not playing to potential, players playing way above potential, good and bad bounces, etc.  It's not fair to place expectations either way without anything on the resume.  Just my 2 cents.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, pflughorn2016 said:

I just don’t understand the Ohio St fascination. They’re loaded with talent, yes, but WILL HOWARD IS THEIR QUARTERBACK

Their schedule is a joke. It's essentially a 2 games schedule, @Oregon and Michigan (who probably will struggle to win 8 games as thier schedule is actually tough for the 1st time in 5 years).

• Moderators
8 hours ago, TexasDeathStar said:

Wild world to actually see KU in a preseason top 25 list…….

Reminds me of 2006. Kansas was ranked as high as No. 2. 

That year was one of the most exciting and most fun years in the last 25 years. Over the course of that season we had SEVEN different No. 1 teams. 

And besides Kansas, we had multiple No. 2s as well, including Boston College, Cal, South Florida, Oregon, LSU, USC, Georgia and West Virginia. 

Texas started the season ranked No. 4 and finished 11th, if I remember correctly. And that was the “RUDY RUDY RUDY” year where the Horns beat down Arizona State in the Holiday Bowl.

What a season!

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, pflughorn2016 said:

I feel the same way about howard then i remember he had his career high passing yardage game against our defense which hasn’t been hard to do going on the four years now. 

20 minutes ago, Derek Handler said:

Cam coming back, huh?  Wonder what's the record for most starting QB's from a school in transfer portal era?  Texas could have :  Texas, Utah, Duke, Appalachian St, and possibly OU.    

Not Appalachian - Charles Wright is back in Austin.  But you have forgotten Purdue!

• Hook 'Em 2

I've been wondering. Has there ever been a quarterback ( or any other position for that matter) who has started for both sides in Red River? That could possibly happen this year. Of course, he'd end up losing both times.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, gus fleener said:

I've been wondering. Has there ever been a quarterback ( or any other position for that matter) who has started for both sides in Red River? That could possibly happen this year. Of course, he'd end up losing both times.

Starting QB and Head Coach....