SMU, "death penalty", rich supporters, NIL

I was just wondering if SMU could return to its glory days before it was garroted by the NCAA. 

With NIL now in place, those rich old guys are still there unless they have died off generationally during SMU's "death."

Could SMU do it again?

I think SMU gave up something like 10 years' worth of TV revenue to move into the ACC. And the ACC is probably going to lose its best 5-6 teams in the next couple of years. I don't see a path for the bottom half of the ACC to keep up with the big time.

I could be wrong, of course. But I don't see a realistic path there. 

• Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, Rob Mfield said:

I was just wondering if SMU could return to its glory days before it was garroted by the NCAA. 

With NIL now in place, those rich old guys are still there unless they have died off generationally during SMU's "death."

Could SMU do it again?

The difference is now their big donors are competing legally against the big donors of all the other programs. So no I do not see them being able to buy the best athletes anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1

I was living in Dallas during the SMU scandal and I watched WFAA TV Ch 8 Sports Anchor Dale Hansen's reporting back then. Hansen broke the story and I recall that one aspect of SMU's rule breaking was their AD being caught up in admitting that they "... have a payroll to meet" when a dismissed player demanded to continue receiving cash after being kicked off the team. It's ironic that one of the likely outcomes of the recent NCAA settlement is that colleges/universities will begin paying players directly. Interesting that SMU recently wanted   conference membership so desperately that they agreed to forgo millions in conference payout revenue to gain membership in a conference to enhance their small chance of making the CFB playoffs.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

I hope they can bring back some of it.  When Texas schools do well it's good for college football.  I'd like to see them at least competitive just like TCU and hate to say it A&M.  These programs make the sport much more interesting. It also means more Texas kids are staying in state and not going to Ohio State Bama or Georgia.  Just sayin.

Edited by watty7796
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 6/1/2024 at 5:09 PM, syracusehorn said:

I think SMU gave up something like 10 years' worth of TV revenue to move into the ACC. And the ACC is probably going to lose its best 5-6 teams in the next couple of years. I don't see a path for the bottom half of the ACC to keep up with the big time.

I could be wrong, of course. But I don't see a realistic path there. 

I could be wrong, but I think the additional revenue from all other conference revenue sources in the ACC would still end up being an increase for SMU in overall annual cash inflow compared to AAC with TV revenue .

On 6/1/2024 at 4:40 PM, Rob Mfield said:

Could SMU do it again?

They’re trying!

I think they finally have a real chance. 

On 6/2/2024 at 7:39 AM, TexasMDcoach said:

The difference is now their big donors are competing legally against the big donors of all the other programs. So no I do not see them being able to buy the best athletes anymore.

Wasn't like the aggies and Sooners were exactly playing by the rules back then either