A Dossier On...

Kenneth Grant of Michigan.

- Defensive Tackle

- 6-foot-3, 339 pounds (according to Michigan website)

- Will be a true junior from Merrillville, Ind. For those unfamiliar with the town, Merrillville is about a half hour from the Illinois state line just south of Gary and next to Hammond.

- 29 tackles with 3.5 sacks and 1 INT in 2023.

- Awarded 2nd team all-conference from Big 10 coaches.

- 2023 was first year as a starter.

- Played in 12 games as a true freshman.

- As of the time I am typing this, Grant has not entered the NCAA transfer portal.

- Is this the type of elite DL the Horns are looking for? Absolutely.

• Hook 'Em 8

5 hours ago, Bobby Burton said:

Kenneth Grant of Michigan.

- Defensive Tackle

- 6-foot-3, 339 pounds (according to Michigan website)

- Will be a true junior from Merrillville, Ind. For those unfamiliar with the town, Merrillville is about a half hour from the Illinois state line just south of Gary and next to Hammond.

- 29 tackles with 3.5 sacks and 1 INT in 2023.

- Awarded 2nd team all-conference from Big 10 coaches.

- 2023 was first year as a starter.

- Played in 12 games as a true freshman.

- As of the time I am typing this, Grant has not entered the NCAA transfer portal.

- Is this the type of elite DL the Horns are looking for? Absolutely.

Is he in the portal?

11 minutes ago, Bobby Burton said:

“- As of the time I am typing this, Grant has not entered the NCAA transfer portal”

Not yet.

It's been 11 minutes. Is he in yet? 🤣

Joking aside, if he doesn't enroll by the 1/30 window, could he sit out spring and enroll in the summer? Or does he need to take spring classes to maintain eligibility?

Is he able to maintain his scholarship from Michigan to take spring classes if he doesn't participate in spring football at the school?

Edited by Scott Luedecke
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Scott Luedecke said:

It's been 11 minutes. Is he in yet? 🤣

Joking aside, if he doesn't enroll by the 1/30 window, could he sit out spring and enroll in the summer? Or does he need to take spring classes to maintain eligibility?

Is he able to maintain his scholarship from Michigan to take spring classes if he doesn't participate in spring football at the school?

He could maintain his scholarship at Michigan and enroll elsewhere after spring. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Thanks 1

I think we only missed on Caldwell because of the Davis move to LSU. At least that was my opinion. He even seemed to be waiting for several days after Davis to maybe see what Texas would do, before he went in on Oregon. 

Either way, I really like our chances here if he does enter and it does seem likely he will. Adding him as a starter next to Collins would be huge. Would also make most feel good about the room (although I personally feel good about the room right now).

I think interior DL is one area where Texas has not really recruited that well since Sark took over. Believe it's one area where he's looking to improve and start getting some of the top guys there. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, CaseMcCoyTruther said:

Is this just Twitter/message board smoke or is there something here with Grant?

From what I read on 247sports from one of the posters there, is that he's been following both Texas and Oregon stuff on X. Plus with the smoke of the S&C coach leaving and multiple defensive coaches, there does seem to be something there. 

38 minutes ago, TexShoe said:

Grant made one of the most impressive plays of last year, chasing down a Penn State RB from behind.  Yeah, we want that guy...

BMF

I remember watching that game and seeing that play happen live and being blown away at how Grant was able to track down the ball carrier there.  Reminded me of this play by Larry Allen back in the '90s.  Must get for Sark and co. if they can pull it off.

• Hook 'Em 1