Brandon Brown announcement (now July 5th - as of 10:15 am CST Wednesday)

Some pro-level pant-pissing in this thread.  Football will be played in the fall and we will be fine.  DL recruiting hasn't been great to this point in the cycle.  Recruitments are now done in a way that getting the player out of HS isn't as crucial as it used to be, as in many cases they become redshirt freshman with a year of D1 conditioning under their belt as they go into the free-agency known as the portal.  How many of the guys we've missed on so far are year 1 contributors on our team?  Recruit through the whistle and be the recruit's first choice in their heart, second in their wallets.  They will come back to us.  Kenny will only be a new coach this year.

• Hook 'Em 5

4 hours ago, HTXHorn said:

All of this commentary on DJ Sanders being developmental, and On3 actually has him ranked above all of these other guys. He’s still a good prospect by many measures. 

IMG_4970.png

I respect Bobby and Gerry more than anyone in the industry, and I know they love B. Brown, but losing an undersized DT isn't a program killer. I'm sure Bo has convinced him he's the next Byron Murphy II, but we'll see.

As Bobby alluded to this afternoon, these DT threads remind me of all the desperate Edge conversations barely a year ago.  Posters soiled theyselves after Ochaun Mathis picked Nebraska over Texas last summer.

Turns out everything worked just fine.

• Hook 'Em 6

9 hours ago, Avishai Schiff said:

Have we thought about maybe just fielding a 7v7 squad going forward?

I’m wondering if we can’t spin someone down from safety.  It shouldn’t take that long to go from 215 #s to 325 #s.  

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, horns96 said:

I respect Bobby and Gerry more than anyone in the industry, and I know they love B. Brown, but losing an undersized DT isn't a program killer. I'm sure Bo has convinced him he's the next Byron Murphy II, but we'll see.

As Bobby alluded to this afternoon, these DT threads remind me of all the desperate Edge conversations barely a year ago.  Posters soiled theyselves after Ochaun Mathis picked Nebraska over Texas last summer.

Turns out everything worked just fine.

Bullshit.
Taking 3 defensive tackles the last 2 cycles is malpractice, regardless who the DT coach is. Also, only taking Ty Anthony smith last year and likely only 2 LB this year is questionable 

Meanwhile,Kyle flood takes at least 4 OL every year 

Edited by HillCountryBevo
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, HillCountryBevo said:

Bullshit.
Taking 3 defensive tackles the last 2 cycles is malpractice, regardless who the DT coach is. Also, only taking Ty Anthony smith last year and likely only 2 LB this year is questionable 

Could this be the reason why they couldn’t keep Bo Davis?  Because his recruiting wasn’t robust enough?

Give Baker a chance because his delayed arrival from the NFL didn’t allow him to develop relationships/evaluate potential recruits in a timely manner IMO.  I believe Sark knows what the team’s needs are and will act accordingly.

So instead of worrying, I’m just going to let the season play out and see what happens…Hook’em 

Edited by Lavalulu
  • Hook 'Em 1

I like Wynn, Sharma, and Charles all above Brown. If the moderators say any of those are still on the table, then pool the money and go for it. If not, who are we saving the market resetting offer for?

Who hasn't sensed for some time these two are headed east of us? 

TX must get DJ Sanders and keep recruiting. Hopefully a good prospect surfaces from a late evaluation. After signing day, TX will know how many DTs and NTs to get in the portal to plug the gaps.

Believe 2026 is the litmus test for Baker's recruiting. Will likely need 3-4 IDL in our 2026 class. No excuses for TX 2026 IDL recruiting! 

🤘 🤘 TX 🏈

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Lavalulu said:

Could this be the reason why they couldn’t keep Bo Davis?  Because his recruiting wasn’t robust enough?

Give Baker a chance because his delayed arrival from the NFL didn’t allow him to develop relationships/evaluate potential recruits in a timely manner IMO.  I believe Sark knows what the team’s needs are and will act accordingly.

So instead of worrying, I’m just going to let the season play out and see what happens…Hook’em 

well...with an attitude like that, you'll never make it as a Negative Nancy or troll.   lol

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Steven Schrader said:

well...with an attitude like that, you'll never make it as a Negative Nancy or troll.   lol

I think what’s hurting Texas is that DT this past season was A+.  These DTs were developed by coach Davis and he’s no longer at Texas

THIS is what the negative recruiting is about…(plus NIL of course but I bet this is a secondary reason)…and state of Texas doesn’t have a lot of DL prospects.

and THIS is why Texas needs to have a good season with Baker to show that there was no drop off in development.  

So I will trust Sark. his crew, and Baker to eventually find a way to fill the need in the meantime. 

not gonna spend time freaking out

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Lavalulu said:

I think what’s hurting Texas is that DT this past season was A+.  These DTs were developed by coach Davis and he’s no longer at Texas

THIS is what the negative recruiting is about…(plus NIL of course but I bet this is a secondary reason)…and state of Texas doesn’t have a lot of DL prospects.

and THIS is why Texas needs to have a good season with Baker to show that there was no drop off in development.  

So I will trust Sark. his crew, and Baker to eventually find a way to fill the need in the meantime. 

not gonna spend time freaking out

The competition is definitely trying that angle.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

The competition is definitely trying that angle.

“Bo has left everywhere he’s been by the 3rd year.  He will not be your only position coach if you choose to sign with lsu”

solved

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, HillCountryBevo said:

Bullshit.

You do realize you’re comparing apples to oranges when you’re talking about DT & LB recruiting compared to OL recruiting right? You have to think about rosters & not class by class individually. 1 LB last year, I wonder why that was. Oh, maybe it was because we took 4 LB’s in the class before that! So that’s 5 LB’s in 2 years. Makes a lot more sense when you’re talking 1 LB in last years class.

The reason Flood needs that many lineman in every class is because there are 5 OL positions on the field! We consistently play 2 DT’s & 2 LB’s on defense. Apples to oranges.

DT recruiting has been poor so far but that’s indicative of a coaching change. We’re not even close to signing day yet, there will be movement in the class at that position over the course of the next 6 months. I trust Sark & the staff to get it right.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, goattalk100 said:

DT recruiting has been poor so far but that’s indicative of a coaching change. We’re not even close to signing day yet, there will be movement in the class at that position over the course of the next 6 months. I trust Sark & the staff to get it right.

DT recruiting has been poor throughout Sarks tenure here. It’s not just this year 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hashtag said:

DT recruiting has been poor throughout Sarks tenure here. It’s not just this year 

That’s just simply not true. It hasn’t been Bama & Georgia level but we haven’t had a chance to recruit at that level for a number of factors.

1. Not being in the SEC left us out of a lot of recruitments for elite guys outside of Texas. & guys in Texas were still leaving for SEC & B10 schools.

2. We have not had the success to warrant high level recruiting, until last year. Expectations did not equate to reality.

3. The coaching change prevented us from bringing in a really good high school & portal class this year, which given last seasons success & moving to the SEC, would be the first real chance to sign a high level class.

4. Alluded to by @Assistant Regional Manager, the 22 class was very good. A big class with talent. The 23 class we won a head to head with Georgia for Sydir, which was a big win at the time.

I would say DT recruiting has not been poor. But relative to outsized expectations, I can see why people are saying it. The reality is we have not been able to punch above our weight in recruiting, but do have talent on the roster. I believe the staff will land some big recruits later this cycle.

• Hook 'Em 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, pinkman_90 said:

“Bo has left everywhere he’s been by the 3rd year.  He will not be your only position coach if you choose to sign with lsu”

solved

lmao good stuff!

Tough to do with all the NFL draft picks he's coached 

• Hook 'Em 2