Not about the $?

1 hour ago, rocketman said:

I have the highest respect for both Bobby and Gerry as well as others who earn their living in this industry. I still stand by what I said, the money changes peoples lives.

Of course it does. No one is debating that.

But it will almost never be the only factor. Oregon sold Dakorien on the whole “do something different” line and he took the bait.

2 hours ago, Zacharyhorn said:

Don’t believe it was all about the money either.  Personal belief is that Moore just did not want to come and play at Texas.  He obviously had his reasons why, but can’t discount the fact he initially committed to LSU.  Not Texas.  When he decommitted and would talk about his finalist, he glowed about Ohio States program and how hard they practiced.  When he spoke about Oregon, he talked about his relationships with the coaches.  He never once talked about our program in the same light as OSU nor his relationship with our coaches.  The only thing he mentioned was that his mother would be extremely happy if he picked Texas.  He also was very critical of our quarterbacks when he last came in for a practice.  Sort of trying to find reasons to not get excited about the Texas program.

I remember Gerry initially saying it was going to come down to Texas and OSU.  Fact, in early June he was preparing to pledge to Ohio State.   Now,  he may have given Texas a silent on his official visit, but I believe that was more pressure from being around his family than anything.  So that could be the reason he elected not to call the staff and inform them of his final decision. At the end of the day, Bobby and Gerry could both be right.  It was not all about the money and Texas may have been out recruited.  However, Dakorien had multiple opportunities to pledge to Texas but he never did.  He pledged to two other schools (Oregon and LSU) knowing what type of season we just had and where our program is headed.  Before his pledge to Oregon, he told some people that Ohio State would be the choice.  

I can’t say that Texas was out recruited.  They made him a priority.  Sark road with him to the restaurant, took pictures with his whole family and told other recruits that he was their top WR.  Maybe Sark thought he was in a better position with him than he really was, but to me it comes down to the fact that Dakorien just did not want to play for Texas.

And that is what Bobby said. What school does he want to be at?

1 hour ago, Bobby Burton said:

Of course it does. No one is debating that.

But it will almost never be the only factor. Oregon sold Dakorien on the whole “do something different” line and he took the bait.

Bobby, I get it, you know more about this than I do. All I said was the reasons you posted day of the decision were all the right reasons he should have chosen Texas. There is no denying the money and what it changes. That said, he bit the hook on the offer. The facts don't change. He committed to three schools and changed his mind two times. Continuation bias suggests  he has a hard time knowing what he wants to do after a bit of time goes by. You raised teenagers just like I did and at that age they change their mind a bunch.  Would not be surprised if he reaches out to Texas again,  however I'm not sure anyone will answer the call. He is a generational player but would the juice be worth the squeeze in Sarks mind? Thoughts?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, rocketman said:

Bobby, I get it, you know more about this than I do. All I said was the reasons you posted day of the decision were all the right reasons he should have chosen Texas. There is no denying the money and what it changes. That said, he bit the hook on the offer. The facts don't change. He committed to three schools and changed his mind two times. Continuation bias suggests  he has a hard time knowing what he wants to do after a bit of time goes by. You raised teenagers just like I did and at that age they change their mind a bunch.  Would not be surprised if he reaches out to Texas again,  however I'm not sure anyone will answer the call. He is a generational player but would the juice be worth the squeeze in Sarks mind? Thoughts?

no bridge burned good luck to the kid but Texas isn’t where he belongs.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/5/2024 at 12:15 PM, Bobby Burton said:

Here's the problem that I can't seem to articulate clearly enough.

I never said money was no factor.

I have said, however, that it was not ALL about the money.

Money is a factor, but not the only factor.

There are many factors involved in making these decisions, not just one.

So I do not think money was the only reason Moore selected Oregon. At the end of the day, I think Oregon actually made a better sales pitch.

This whole line of "wanting to do something different" is nothing more than a sales pitch that was made by Oregon (and it's the same one they have used for decades on others!). It's one that Moore bought into and/or it resonated with him. That pitch may resonate more these days because it's also backed up by NIL and not just shiny locker rooms.

I guarantee you their coaches are saying the same exact line to a dozen other recruits outside of the West Coast footprint.

IMO, Texas did not do enough or have a strong enough relationship with Moore to quash that bs, or they didn't read the situation as such.

It happens. This isn't the first recruitment Steve Sarkisian has lost in his life. It won't be the last.

Look NIL was a piece of the decision. It wasn't all of it.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t y’all say DK wasn’t even planning on taking a visit to Oregon as of 2-3 weeks ago? It just doesn’t make sense to me that they could’ve made up so much ground in the recruitment if that’s actually true.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/5/2024 at 6:50 PM, Jc Dobbs said:

I agree with you Bobby. Some of my observations... I tuned out and didn't watch because I quickly tired of the young man indulging his out-sized ego. I know WRs tend to be divas, but I got the vibe that DKM was really savoring that he was about to stick it to the Longhorns again... first was the LSU commit ( I know he liked their WR as a youngster) and second was rejecting the Horns a second time by committing to the Ducks. You and OTF have interviewed other high school players this year who have impressed me and I especially like their desire to play for Texas. Other nuance factors include the fact that it's hard to believe DKM wouldn't want to catch passes from Arch Manning as opposed to future UO quarterbacks. Another factor is his former Duncanville teammates who are on the Texas roster...he showed them he didn't particularly care to join them in Austin. He showed his family members that he didn't care to play his college football within a four hour drive for them to attend and if he has family in Austin he won't feel the pressure to drop in on them for a visit. From a financial standpoint, I hope his agent made sure the "Delta" of any NIL from UO was large enough to offset the higher taxes he will incur. As you mentioned, I hope he thought about the stability and longevity of the two coaching staffs, and speaking of coaches, if it's true that he didn't make the courtesy phone call to the Texas coaches to say he was going to UO, well, that's a disappointment.

Thanks for the excellent coverage. I wish we could always recruit a team full of Jordan Whittingtons and Shipleys and McCoys, but I understand the world doesn't turn that way. Recruitments like this one remind me that college coaches earn their money.

I watched all of the OTF interviews.  What struck me about DK’s interview was although he complimented 1 WR…he also dissed another—by name.  Not a good look if you’re wanting to preserve your culture in the locker room.

Now fast forward to his Oregon commitment speech, it was clear DK knew he was THE Dawg with an ego to match.

This kid had in his mind what he’s worth and his people were able to negotiate NIL for it at Oregon.  The $$$ was worth more to him than what Texas had to offer—IMHO.  Nothing wrong with that, and I wish him the best.

Now I’m thinking maybe Texas dodged a bullet on this one??  🤘🏼

4 hours ago, Lavalulu said:

I watched all of the OTF interviews.  What struck me about DK’s interview was although he complimented 1 WR…he also dissed another—by name.  Not a good look if you’re wanting to preserve your culture in the locker room.

Now fast forward to his Oregon commitment speech, it was clear DK knew he was THE Dawg with an ego to match.

This kid had in his mind what he’s worth and his people were able to negotiate NIL for it at Oregon.  The $$$ was worth more to him than what Texas had to offer—IMHO.  Nothing wrong with that, and I wish him the best.

Now I’m thinking maybe Texas dodged a bullet on this one??  🤘🏼

I don't know that it was just money. Maybe just silly. Anyone who thinks going to Oregon makes them "different" is not the sharpest tool in the shed. He will be transferring by 2027, like Stewart. Don't care if Texas get's him or not. Don't need him. We need D-tackles and O-line guys.

• Hook 'Em 1

In my opinion its one of two things, or perhaps a little of both. Oregon is pulling an A&M and trying to buy a national championship. They see the top players in the recruiting rankings and go after them. Thats why it makes sense they were barely in the picture not too long ago. 

I also think Bobby is correct when he says that Texas simply didn't have a strong enough relationship with Moore to squash any BS about "being different." Thats on Texas. 

However, where my thoughts shift away from OTF is around their NIL package. Could it be that Texas was far off on what they were offering compared to Oregon prior to Oregon swooping in? Were they off the mark and NIL became a factor because Texas wasn't in the ballpark, compared to Oregon? Maybe nobody was in the ballpark compared to Oregon and we have our answer right there. 

At the end of the day, Moore's entire family was at the Texas OV, he gave a silent commitment to the team in June, and still burned them at the 11th hour. Maybe the young man just didn't want to pick Texas. It happens with these elite Texas recruits every so often. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, rocketman said:

Agree with all that.

And I’d take the call. 😉

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Bobby Burton said:

Agree with all that.

And I’d take the call. 😉

I wouldn't. Divas need not apply, The locker room is more important than any player.

Edited by harveycmd
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 7/5/2024 at 11:46 AM, rocketman said:

They could care less about impact on team culture.

So a coach that coached under Nick Saban and the Kirby Smart coaching tree that has gone 10-3 and 12-2 in his first two seasons as a coach could care less about culture? Give me a break. I love how Sark is some culture master and guru yet his results as a coach don’t match. The hanging onto the invisible data points without results to back claims up is bizarre fandom logic. 

On 7/5/2024 at 1:53 PM, dherring5 said:

This kid was a silent commit and then flipped. Oregon wasn’t even in the picture a short time ago. This is about NIL. He was offered a massive payout that sark wouldn’t match. It’s very obvious. 

Absolutely 

13 hours ago, Zacharyhorn said:

Don’t believe it was all about the money either.  Personal belief is that Moore just did not want to come and play at Texas.  He obviously had his reasons why, but can’t discount the fact he initially committed to LSU.  Not Texas.  When he decommitted and would talk about his finalist, he glowed about Ohio States program and how hard they practiced.  When he spoke about Oregon, he talked about his relationships with the coaches.  He never once talked about our program in the same light as OSU nor his relationship with our coaches.  The only thing he mentioned was that his mother would be extremely happy if he picked Texas.  He also was very critical of our quarterbacks when he last came in for a practice.  Sort of trying to find reasons to not get excited about the Texas program.

I remember Gerry initially saying it was going to come down to Texas and OSU.  Fact, in early June he was preparing to pledge to Ohio State.   Now,  he may have given Texas a silent on his official visit, but I believe that was more pressure from being around his family than anything.  So that could be the reason he elected not to call the staff and inform them of his final decision. At the end of the day, Bobby and Gerry could both be right.  It was not all about the money and Texas may have been out recruited.  However, Dakorien had multiple opportunities to pledge to Texas but he never did.  He pledged to two other schools (Oregon and LSU) knowing what type of season we just had and where our program is headed.  Before his pledge to Oregon, he told some people that Ohio State would be the choice.  

I can’t say that Texas was out recruited.  They made him a priority.  Sark road with him to the restaurant, took pictures with his whole family and told other recruits that he was their top WR.  Maybe Sark thought he was in a better position with him than he really was, but to me it comes down to the fact that Dakorien just did not want to play for Texas.

image.gif.8bf8d45b39468eb19b01ec2c09af78b0.gif

1 minute ago, TexasLonghorns said:

So a coach that coached under Nick Saban and the Kirby Smart coaching tree that has gone 10-3 and 12-2 in his first two seasons as a coach could care less about culture? Give me a break. I love how Sark is some culture master and guru yet his results as a coach don’t match. The hanging onto the invisible data points without results to back claims up is bizarre fandom logic. 

You misunderstand my comment concerning not caring about culture. Lanning is a good coach. Difference is he has been playing with Mario's players during that time. Sark came in with the cupboard really bear and had to rebuild. Lanning didn't have to do that. 

Sark will not sign players who's only concern is the money. Oregon doesn't seem to care about what comes with that or the future impact on locker room blowback from current players.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, rocketman said:

You misunderstand my comment concerning not caring about culture. Lanning is a good coach. Difference is he has been playing with Mario's players during that time. Sark came in with the cupboard really bear and had to rebuild. Lanning didn't have to do that. 

Sark will not sign players who's only concern is the money. Oregon doesn't seem to care about what comes with that or the future impact on locker room blowback from current players.

Yup, Sark wouldn’t have signed Moore or Brew, they weren’t top targets for Texas. Believe it or not, other coaches outside of Sark value culture, suggesting otherwise is silly talk. 

edit: Devil’s advocate here, maybe Lanning can take flyers on players such as Evan Stewart because he trust his locker room and culture enough to get everyone in line. The reason I say this is because a former texas player tweeted such in reference to Stewart, suggesting Sark didn’t trust his culture enough to bring in someone like that, what’s that say about his culture? 

Edited by TexasLonghorns