NiJaree Canady to....

LOL, some of these athletes need to understand the collective money is only part.  Imagine the adverting $ available in Austin vs. Lubbock..    Maybe "Canady' night at Dairy Queen  pays more than I think it does.  At least we won't have to see her in OKC again and she didn't go to a SEC school or Okie St.    

• Hook 'Em 2

Wonder what this portends for the Aaliyah Chavez recruitment?  I have no problem with Canady going to Lubbock, the only bad outcome would have been if she ended up at ou.  Tech holds no threat to our chances for a NC next year.  

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Jerry K said:

She got a 1 million dollar NIL deal. 

She would’ve gotten a lot of money from other schools as well. To each their own, but it would take a lot more money than that to get me to move from Stanford to Tech. Shortsighted imo. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, t.newman said:

Wonder what this portends for the Aaliyah Chavez recruitment?  I have no problem with Canady going to Lubbock, the only bad outcome would have been if she ended up at ou.  Tech holds no threat to our chances for a NC next year.  

Although it does make them an instant team that you don’t want to meet in the playoffs. She is capable of shutting down the best of offenses and pitching multiple games back to back

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, dentonhorn said:
3 hours ago, t.newman said:

They definitely seem to have some motivated boosters for NIL.  Not enough to sustain an entire roster to compete nationally, but seems they're being strategic in focusing on a handful of high-profile targets.

For some perspective, Mike White (at last count) made ~ $625K a year as HC of Texas Softball.

Can't find Glasco's salary at TTU, but he was making $225K at UL-La.

Weird deal. I guess softball will be returning to Olympics in 2028, maybe there's an angle there with Adidas etc.

• Hook 'Em 2

Softball and basketball are categorically different for a female athlete’s future.

Softball players need to get their money now because there are now legit pro softball leagues.

With the WNBA, there’s another long-term piece to consider for basketball players. 

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, Bobby Burton said:

Softball and basketball are categorically different for a female athlete’s future.

Softball players need to get their money now because there are now legit pro softball leagues.

With the WNBA, there’s another long-term piece to consider for basketball players. 

Great point.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, TarrantCoHorn said:

She would’ve gotten a lot of money from other schools as well. To each their own, but it would take a lot more money than that to get me to move from Stanford to Tech. Shortsighted imo. 

ONE MILLION DOLLARS is reason enough 

• Hook 'Em 1

Strange, most football nil is less than 1 mil. To give a softball player that kind of money makes no sense at all. If D Moore got 1.2 mil from Oregon and Texas was not going to match it, how can you explain a softball player getting that kind of money at TT? 

Love to know what the highest paid SB players at TX and OU are making to compare. Can't blame her for taken the money for sure. 

• Hook 'Em 1

From a business perspective, 1 mil for a softball player is pretty crazy considering softball is not a revenue generating program.  The ROI on a softball player is nowhere near the ROI on a player in another sport (football being the obvious #1 imo).  Texas has a number of female athletes that are arguably the brand name in their respective sport (Madisen Skinner for Volleyball).  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/24/2024 at 5:37 PM, chennups said:

lubbock??!@$!  committed to texas tech for huge NIL package and 1st year head coach.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/40633634/ex-stanford-softball-ace-nijaree-canady-commits-texas-tech

I watched her pitch twice past season. When I read that she was considering leaving Stanford I incorrectly assumed she was looking at three or four possible new teams. I NEVER considered Lubbock. If she graduates, for the rest of her life she can enjoy looking at her Tech diploma hanging on the wall and think about how she could have had almost as much NIL $ AND a Stanford diploma. Geez.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BobInHouston said:

I thought it was three years... so it goes.

3 years would make perfect sense, assuming she got her degree from Stanford early. Then who cares where you go, take the money. But as a parent I just have a hard time thinking about ever telling one of my kids to forego a Stanford degree for a worthless degree. At least Texas would have been a good diploma and I’m sure she could have gone to several other great schools for a slightly less NIL payment

• Thanks 1

On 7/25/2024 at 7:21 PM, HookemTexas said:

From a business perspective, 1 mil for a softball player is pretty crazy considering softball is not a revenue generating program.  The ROI on a softball player is nowhere near the ROI on a player in another sport (football being the obvious #1 imo).  Texas has a number of female athletes that are arguably the brand name in their respective sport (Madisen Skinner for Volleyball).  

A million from a multi billionaire is like you or me giving someone $20. Especially when said billionaires wife is a former tech softball player 

On 7/25/2024 at 7:21 PM, HookemTexas said:

Unless I'm reading you wrong, Canady is one of those, too.