Texas mens basketball releases non-conference schedule

The way I see it, Texas played 3 real teams in non-con last year (Uconn, Marquette and LSU).

This schedule will have at least 5, including a marquee home matchup, which fans always want.

Good overall schedule. Just make sure you beat the crap out of the teams you need to beat the crap out of to help your NET.

Edited by Assistant Regional Manager
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm excited to see a potential Syracuse-Texas matchup.

UConn, NC State, & Ohio State are good games. UConn is the only home game that will put butts in the seats. Overall pretty below average for non-con. I think it's a transition year for entering the SEC to get a sense of how Texas fares in a new conference.

7 minutes ago, Inspired73 said:

That's a schedule for a coach trying to keep his job.   Shame on CDC for allowing this charade.  

it matches the trial contract the coach got....

We better win at least 7-8 of those games. 5 by 25 or more points

10 minutes ago, Inspired73 said:

That's a schedule for a coach trying to keep his job.   Shame on CDC for allowing this charade.  

CDC was forced to hire (media)  one of the nicest guys in the game after that assisted Elite 8 run

If we don't look good against this competition then miss the tourney it may well be the ticket to an upgrade

Edited by JohnGalt

Bad slate of home games, bunch of cream puffs and likely annihilation by a very well coached UConn. If we go 8-5 or worse, it may be viewed as the worst TX non-con schedule this century. But if we go 11-2 or better, it works.

9 minutes ago, Jerky said:

Bad slate of home games, bunch of cream puffs and likely annihilation by a very well coached UConn. If we go 8-5 or worse, it may be viewed as the worst TX non-con schedule this century. But if we go 11-2 or better, it works.

Be hard to bottom the 2016-17 team which lost at home to Kent State and UT-Arlington on its way to a 6-7 non-conference record and just one non-conference win over a top 100 team. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, bierce said:

Be hard to bottom the 2016-17 team which lost at home to Kent State and UT-Arlington on its way to a 6-7 non-conference record and just one non-conference win over a top 100 team. 

At least we have found out who forced CDC to hire Terry. Didn’t know the media could force one of the best AD’s in the country to hire someone. Maybe the media can force CDC to hire another coach. 

2 hours ago, bierce said:

Bill Walton level HORRRRRRRRRIBLE!

We have games against teams that finished 362, 355, 342, 331, 325, 295, 290, and 289 in Pomeroy in 2024.

That's ridiculous.

Yep.  Not sure the rationale behind this.   I do not see the upside here.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, TexasMDcoach said:

Yep.  Not sure the rationale behind this.   I do not see the upside here.

For many years I have lobbied for noncon schedules to include games against some of the better non P5 teams in Texas, and maybe even scheduling 2 for 1s against the likes of SFA and Sam Houston State.

Instead we get MVSU, APB, HCU, Chicago State, and other dreck.  Abysmal. 

• Hook 'Em 4

In the portal era it does not make as much sense to load the pre-conference with tough games as it did in the past.  Rick usually had continuity going for him back in the days when UT regularly scheduled half or more of its games against teams that had a heartbeat.  Now there is the issue of molding a team from strays.  Good, experienced strays, but not ones that have played under fire as a team ever before.

That being said, I miss those games against Michigan State and North Carolina.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MarkInAustin said:

In the portal era it does not make as much sense to load the pre-conference with tough games as it did in the past.  Rick usually had continuity going for him back in the days when UT regularly scheduled half or more of its games against teams that had a heartbeat.  Now there is the issue of molding a team from strays.  Good, experienced strays, but not ones that have played under fire as a team ever before.

That being said, I miss those games against Michigan State and North Carolina.

There’s loading a schedule and then there’s what we’ve done. Which is the exact opposite. They are purposely seeking out the worst teams in basketball to fill a good portion of the schedule. And not even with Texas schools at least. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TarrantCoHorn said:

There’s loading a schedule and then there’s what we’ve done. Which is the exact opposite. They are purposely seeking out the worst teams in basketball to fill a good portion of the schedule. And not even with Texas schools at least. 

In a 13 game non conference schedule how many legitimate teams do you want them to play? They have Ohio State, Texas Tech and potentially Syracuse at neutral sites, NC State on the road and host the two time defending national champs at home.

I get being upset with the home schedule, but they are playing more legitimate non con teams than many do, it’s just away from Moody.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Assistant Regional Manager said:

II get being upset with the home schedule, but they are playing more legitimate non con teams than many do, it’s just away from Moody.

I counted the same five plus NMxSt as legit opponents, and decided as you did that it is the home schedule that is deficient.  I think "John Galt" simply dislikes RT and won't let go of it.

Like Bierce, I think playing teams like Rice and UTA would beat the heck out of playing HCU at home, and would provide consistent fun for me at Moody and better team building opportunities as well.

IDK why the home schedule sucks except for UConn and NMxSt [not a true feature, but a team with a heartbeat].  I don't think it had to do with fear of losing to mid-level teams; the road and pre-season tourney games put the lie to that.  Beard started the downgrading of the home schedule from mid level fillers to bottom feeders, btw, and I had not understood that either..