Friday - What’s Next With Personnel Department

Given the recent departure of Director of Player Personnel Billy Glasscock to Ole Miss as General Manager, Texas coach Steve Sarkisian must now decide whether he wants to backfill the previous role Glasscock - Director of Player Personnel - held or create an entirely new structure for his off-field support staff.

While Sark is mulling those options overall, I am hearing that two individuals are expected to receive a bump in title and responsibility: Brandon Harris and John Michael Jones.

Harris has been the Director of Recruiting for the Longhorns during Sark’s entire tenure in Austin. He recently went on the road when the Horns were down a staff member due to the departure of Bo Davis. Harris is seen as a trusted member of Sark’s circle.

Jones, a Texas grad and long-time staffer who worked for the team prior to Sark’s arrival, has been the team’s Assistant Director of Player Personnel. Jones has been a do-it-all type for the Horns behind the scenes. He’s not a name many will be familiar with but he knows the system as well as anyone.

Prior to Glasscock’s departure, a restructuring was thought to be under way. Glasscock was likely going to be elevated to a GM-like role (yet possibly not that exact title).

Time will tell what Sarkisian decides to do overall, but OTF expects Harris and Jones to be part of Sark’s solution.

View full news

• Hook 'Em 9

What does a college GM do?  In some pro organizations the GM actually selects the players to draft and/or trade, and decides how much to spend on acquisitions to stay under the cap.  In college, since it supposedly not pay for play, how can a GM legitimately direct how much NIL is committed to a prospect?  Maybe I am both naive and ignorant of how this all works.   

• Hook 'Em 2

I was wondering if Brandon Harris might be in line to move into Glasscock's position as soon as his move was announced. Harris is a very valued piece that several other teams have tried to poach over the last several years.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, UTexas said:

I was wondering if Brandon Harris might be in line to move into Glasscock's position as soon as his move was announced. Harris is a very valued piece that several other teams have tried to poach over the last several years.

I was thinking the same about Brandon Harris. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Sensitive Ponytail Man said:

What does a college GM do?  In some pro organizations the GM actually selects the players to draft and/or trade, and decides how much to spend on acquisitions to stay under the cap.  In college, since it supposedly not pay for play, how can a GM legitimately direct how much NIL is committed to a prospect?  Maybe I am both naive and ignorant of how this all works.   

I imagine that they would deal with a lot of the AD stuff and be in charge of both HS and college scouting to see if players could fit into the systems on offense and defense. That way the coaching staff has a narrowed list of 100 or so prospects instead of over 1000. He probably also fosters the relationships between Sarkisian and the HS coaches, compliance, and NIL. There are lots of things he can be in charge of.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Sensitive Ponytail Man said:

I think it is pretty much the same now. GM will oversee the scouting department and manage the salary cap (in this case NIL). Keep in mind there is a retention aspect of NIL now. We dont talk much about this, but what do you give a 2nd year DL/OL that has shown promise, but had next to 0 impact on the field? You dont want to lose him, so you have to come up with number that is enough to keep the buzzards from circling. The job is probably more difficult, than the NFL. In the NFL you have set contracts and a set budget, so you have a reasonable sense of what the next year will look like, 

Edited by codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Sensitive Ponytail Man said:

This is a great question and one Sark has to answer himself.

Some GMs have a lot of power and authority. Some don’t. It’s kind of up to the team owners or coach to decide what exactly those roles and responsibilities are.

That’s exactly what I’m describing Sark must now determine and then fill the roles accordingly. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, UTexas said:

Very possible, if not likely. The key is how Sark structures it.

Is it a GM with pro-level responsibilities? Or is it a differently styled one that is more subservient to the HC with little autonomy?

I’m not saying I know which way Sark is leaning, just that that is the question before him. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Neil Leininger said:

I imagine that they would deal with a lot of the AD stuff and be in charge of both HS and college scouting to see if players could fit into the systems on offense and defense. That way the coaching staff has a narrowed list of 100 or so prospects instead of over 1000. He probably also fosters the relationships between Sarkisian and the HS coaches, compliance, and NIL. There are lots of things he can be in charge of.

Good response IMO. And it goes even further.

Who is the person that got Sark the helicopter set up? Who manages travel and getting coaches to all the right recruits? Who are the right recruits in the first place? What about the portal? What about opponent and see scout? What about the role of analytics?

Lots of moving parts as you can see. 

• Hook 'Em 3

59 minutes ago, Bobby Burton said:

Good response IMO. And it goes even further.

Who is the person that got Sark the helicopter set up? Who manages travel and getting coaches to all the right recruits? Who are the right recruits in the first place? What about the portal? What about opponent and see scout? What about the role of analytics?

Lots of moving parts as you can see. 

Chief of Staff Jared Blank

• Hook 'Em 1

Sark and Kiffen seem to be friendly which I would expect normally means some cordiality when it comes to poaching staff, any insights about how Glasscock leaving is viewed by Sark? Was this poaching, or maybe part of some machination that Sark is putting into motion?  Or, is this a shot across the bough from Kiffen towards the league leading SEC program in Texas 🙂

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Sark and Kiffen seem to be friendly which I would expect normally means some cordiality when it comes to poaching staff, any insights about how Glasscock leaving is viewed by Sark? Was this poaching, or maybe part of some machination that Sark is putting into motion?  Or, is this a shot across the bough from Kiffen towards the league leading SEC program in Texas 🙂

I don't see it as a shot across the bough. Working to find out about the rest. Some moving parts definitely.

• Hook 'Em 3