Best Baseball Player Ever

.45s

This morning's Coffee and Football happened to mention Shohei Ohtani's incredible season this year followed by a brief discussion about greatest players.  I am old enough to see guys like Hank Aaron and Willie Mays play, and have some recollection of Mickey Mantle and Sandy Koufax.  I always remember some incredible statistics about Babe Ruth's career and that he was an incredible pitcher and then paved the way for homerun hitters.  I did a quick search and found something that Tim Kirkjian wrote about his career and am providing some of that (edited) below.  The fact that he was hitting more homeruns than most teams is amazing.

"The game was reeling in 1920, but Ruth brought it back with tape-measure homers and overwhelming charisma.  He became the first player to glamorize the home run, hitting 54 that season, more than the next three home run hitters in the American League combined.  Also, the most startling statistic is that Ruth’s 54 homers in 1920 was more than the team totals for every other team in the American League. Ruth’s old team, the Boston Red Sox, hit only 20 homers.  In fact, the only MLB team to hit more homers than Ruth was the Philadelphia Phillies with 64.

Ruth was the first to hit 30, 40, 50 and 60 homers in a season. In 1921, he hit his 137th home run, passing Roger Connor as the all-time home run king: the next 577 only added to his record. When he retired with 714 home runs, no one in the game had half that many. In certain seasons, he hit more home runs than complete teams, from 1926 to 1932, he out-homered the Washington Senators, 343-327. Ruth finished with a career slugging percentage of .690. No active player has ever had a single-season slugging percentage of .690.

But Ruth was more than a slugger even though movies made about him depict him as a non-athletic clown; they turned the greatest player of all time into a cartoon character. Ruth was a great athlete. He was a great basketball player, quick and agile for a big man, He could run; he had 136 triples, more than any active player, and 130 more than Mark McGwire. Plus, Ruth was the best left-handed pitcher in the AL when he decided to become only a hitter. Ruth's record for scoreless innings (29⅔) in World Series play lasted nearly 42 years. Ruth still has as many career shutouts as Pedro Martinez (17).

The final homer of his career that day in Pittsburgh was the first one ever to clear the right-field roof in the 26-year-old history of Forbes Field, a fitting finale to an amazing career. In 1982, I asked Burt Hawkins, a baseball writer who covered the game starting in the 1920s, to name the best player ever."

• Hook 'Em 2

• Moderators

Ohtani is the best baseball player I have ever seen 

He’s doing things that we may never see again … literally an All-Star level hitter and pitcher - when healthy. 

And his athleticism at 6-4, 215’ish

Hes different than anyone I have ever seen

Will he have the best career stats? Probably not.

• Hook 'Em 3

A lot of great players listed above.

To put Babe Ruth's homerun numbers in to perspective when he hit 54 homeruns in 1920, think of this quote in the initial post-   "He became the first player to glamorize the home run, hitting 54 that season, more than the next three home run hitters in the American League combined.  Also, the most startling statistic is that Ruth’s 54 homers in 1920 was more than the team totals for every other team in the American League. Ruth’s old team, the Boston Red Sox, hit only 20 homers.  In fact, the only MLB team to hit more homers than Ruth was the Philadelphia Phillies with 64."

By today's standards and comparing the 1920 and 2023 seasons to see how the Babe outhit whole teams, last years team homerun leader was Atlanta with 307, followed by Minnesota with 249.  This means that the Babe would have hit the equivalent of 250 homeruns.  Perhaps not the best analogy, but he was way ahead of everyone at the time.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Blake Munroe said:

But, to play Devil's Advocate, Ruth also wasn't going against athletic freaks who could throw 100 mph. In fact, they weren't anywhere close to that.

Absolutely true. But there were pitchers that could hit 90, and the junk they threw. Whew.

3 hours ago, Blake Munroe said:

But, to play Devil's Advocate, Ruth also wasn't going against athletic freaks who could throw 100 mph. In fact, they weren't anywhere close to that.

So true, and Ruth might not even approach the 50 or 60 homerun mark if he were playing today and in his prime; however, the main point was really how far ahead he was of everybody else at that time.

5 hours ago, Blake Munroe said:

The reason this point doesn't hold water is because it's only one side of the equation. Improve Ruth's nutrition, training, etc. in the same manner that pitchers have if you want to make a fair comparison. Give Ruth weight training and a modern bat and hitting velo wouldn't be the issue.

By the way, hitting velo isn't as big of an issue as some non-baseballers think. Good hitters can time up a fastball. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Barry Bonds is the only human I know of whose head size grew as an adult.

Ted Williams was the best hitter I have ever seen.  Mays was the best baseball player I saw.

My parents saw Ruth play in Yankee Stadium.  He never had trouble with a fast ball, swinging a ridiculously heavy 42 oz bat. 

Today he would have been swinging 34 oz at most.

Williams  spanned eras and lost about 5 seasons to military service.  He ate up 96-98 mph fast balls.

His worst hitting, which was still better than any of his peers,  came against  junk.

I am unfortunately one of the type of guy that believes back then they couldn’t play in today’s game. No one on earth could convince me that babe Ruth could hit a 92 mph slider from CC sabathia lol 

Edited by AJJ_Sports

• 3 weeks later...

I think you could make a point for any of these guys:

Barry Bonds

Babe Ruth

Willie Mays

Colt Munroe

With regards to Ohtani, it will come down to longevity and how long he can do both at the high standard he's currently doing them. Also I'll have a hard to putting him in the category above due to his gambling controversy. I don't buy that interpreter non sense at all.

Edited by Hashtag
  • Haha 2

On 9/3/2024 at 10:09 AM, Blake Munroe said:

To be devils advocate to your devils advocate, hitters today aren't swinging tree trunks except for Aaron Judge haha!

I always find this kind of video interesting. Mechanically Babe Ruth was a great hitter regardless of era. Adjustments for the era your in would be key but mechanically he's great.

Edited by Hashtag

10 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Ohtani is a true freak

He continues to things never done in the history of the game before. 

I mean the 50 homers are great, but who at his size steals 50 bases? That’s like crazy. Base stealing is hard in the big leagues……..every catcher can throw and they look at tendencies and holds guys on alot better. So 50-50 is unreal in today’s game.