Wednesday: News & Notes

Just some notes that I picked up...

Let's talk receivers to start.

- Ryan Wingo continues to show out as a true freshman. Behind the scenes, Wingo is being talked about as possibly the most talented true freshman on the team. At receiver specifically, Wingo and Aaron Butler are both showing some early promise in workouts. Parker Livingstone and Freddie Dubose Jr. have been behind those two. However, keep in mind, this is very early in workouts and both Livingstone and Dubose are coming off of significant injuries.

- Isaiah Bond is expected to be the team's No. 1 receiver at this point. However, I am told that Matthew Golden has been a pleasant surprise. "He's a little like a silent assassin," the source said. "He doesn't say much. But he's a hard worker."

- The Texas pro day is expected to be March 20. Quinn Ewers will be throwing at pro day. It's not unusual for an underclass quarterback to participate in a pro day. 

The thing about pro day is it typically brings to campus not just area scouts of NFL teams but also national ones and cross-checkers.

It will be the first time many pro scouts actually see Ewers work out in person, even if he's really there throwing to Xavier Worthy, Adonai Mitchell, Jordan Whittington and JT Sanders.

- Byron Murphy continues to rise up NFL draft boards. Yesterday, an agent told me that Murphy could go as high No. 8 overall or as low as No. 16. That's a huge jump in expectations. It is the best high-low projection I've heard of Murphy from anyone.

"He's going to kill the combine," the agent told me. "The numbers he's putting up right now (in private workouts) are insane."

- Texas continues to eye the portal opening following spring practice. The feeling remains that Texas will push hard for a top-line defensive tackle/nose guard type. While it's highly unlikely, do not be surprised if Texas even thinks about adding two more at the position if necessary and the right ones come available.

View full news

• Hook 'Em 11

Murphy's draft rise is an interesting one. He is a rare dude off the field, which helps, but he is also a bit undersized from what you would normally see in a first round DT. I never really bought into the length at DT as much as some scouts do. Long arms for an OL mean nothing if a guy is playing under your pads. Kelly Gregg and Poona Ford both had great careers being fire hydrants in the middle. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 3

Would be fantastic if Texas had a player go in the Top 10 of the draft in both 2024 AND 2025. If Murphy kills it at the combine, he could easily accomplish that. Next year, Kelvin Banks and/or Quinn Ewers could go that high if both have a great season.  What a great time to be a Longhorn fan!

• Hook 'Em 1

Any word on where Johntay fits in the pecking order of that WR room? Probably too early to really know for sure, but thought it was worth asking with the note about Bond expecting to be WR1. I hope Johntay can be WR2 at least. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Love the chip on the shoulder Matthew Golden is going to carry into the season ... he's had it since I first saw him in person junior year at Klein Cain. 

For those that didn't watch him or remember him in the 2022 class...

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/11298734/619e5abe5b3ca708186f3502

Andre Coleman is still looking for his flip phone....

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, dentonhorn said:

With Wingo, Cook, Silas B, Golden, Bond, could Sark’s “circle of trust” be a little bigger than normal in 2024?

Moore is getting a lot of mention this offseason.  Lack of news on Niblett is concerning considering his speed.  Wondering if he might become our future Silas Bolden WR.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SuperDave0805 said:

Is Wingo the most talented WR we've signed since Roy Williams? 

Until they play, they're always the most talented we've ever signed.  Funny thing is Roy Williams wasn't even the most talented WR in his class.  That was BJ Johnson.

• Hook 'Em 1