14 Teams Instead of 12?

That's just way too many teams. Heck, I think 12 is too many teams. There's never a debate that 14 teams could potentially be the best team in the nation.

I wish they would have stuck with 6. The top two teams get a Week 1 bye. The next four teams play each other for a chance to go to the semi's.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Chewie said:

That's just way too many teams. Heck, I think 12 is too many teams. There's never a debate that 14 teams could potentially be the best team in the nation.

I wish they would have stuck with 6. The top two teams get a Week 1 bye. The next four teams play each other for a chance to go to the semi's.

I don't understand why they wouldn't just make it 16 if they're going to 14.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Chewie said:

I definitely agree 12 is too many. I think 4 is too many but I'm probably in the minority there. But if it's gonna be more than 4, I think last year showed that 8 would be the right amount. During conference championship week and the aftermath, only the top 8 was in contention to get a bid for the final four imo. 12 makes no sense to me. Do we want a 3 loss regular season team to be the champion? I mean even a 2 loss regular season team shouldn't be a champion imo. Not the best of the best.

• Hook 'Em 2

They need to get to an even number to remove the byes. IMO 16 seems the best way to crown a true champion with all conference champions being invited then having an at large bids fill out the rest.

Last years 10 conference champions and potential 6 at large bids:

AAC - SMU
ACC - FSU
BIG - Michigan
Big 12 - Texas
CUSA - Liberty
MAC - Miami(OH)
Mountain West - Boise State
PAC 12 - Washington
SEC - Alabama
Sun Belt - Troy
At Large1 - Georgia
At large2 - Ohio St
At Large3 - Oregon
At Large4 - Missouri
At Large5 - Penn State
At Large6 - Ole Miss

The at large bids are highest ranked non conference champions in order.

Obviously next year it will be 9 conference champions with 7 at large bids.

Edited by Hashtag

9 minutes ago, Hashtag said:

They need to get to an even number to remove the byes. IMO 16 seems the best way to crown a true champion with all conference champions being invited then having an at large bids fill out the rest.

Last years 10 conference champions and potential 6 at large bids:

AAC - SMU
ACC - FSU
BIG - Michigan
Big 12 - Texas
CUSA - Liberty
MAC - Miami(OH)
Mountain West - Boise State
PAC 12 - Washington
SEC - Alabama
Sun Belt - Troy
At Large1 - Georgia
At large2 - Ohio St
At Large3 - Oregon
At Large4 - Missouri
At Large5 - Penn State
At Large6 - Ole Miss

The at large bids are highest ranked non conference champions in order.

Obviously next year it will be 9 conference champions with 7 at large bids.

I can't edit this post but the bracket looks as follows:

image.thumb.png.ec81792c1eea15e09c8164f871f9f708.png

The first two rounds will be hosted on higher seed campus and the semi-final and finals will be played at rotation of NY6 bowl locations.

You are taking away an opportunity from a team to give it to Miami Ohio? And Troy? They need to all be at large bids. There isn’t enough spots to reward conference Champions. If they pass the eye ball test then fine… but it’s not happening for those schools. TCU is the only actual upset I can think of in the playoff era. Perhaps 15 Ohio st. 

On 2/21/2024 at 5:13 PM, Chewie said:

I am a huge fan of win or go home games. So I have 0 issues with it. My biggest issue is the top 4 conference champs is the BYE week going to a team that will most likely be outside the top 10.. We are going to see weather become a factor in college football like we have not seen in the past

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

You are taking away an opportunity from a team to give it to Miami Ohio? And Troy? They need to all be at large bids. There isn’t enough spots to reward conference Champions. If they pass the eye ball test then fine… but it’s not happening for those schools. TCU is the only actual upset I can think of in the playoff era. Perhaps 15 Ohio st. 

That's why the game is played. You can stick to your "eye ball" test all you want but just play the games. You're argument that there is not enough spots is laughable. You are only putting aside 9 spots for conference champions moving forward. Four of those spots are power 4 conference teams. Then you essentially have a the top 7 of the rest starting in 2024. So you basically get all the top 10-11 teams a spot in the playoff plus rewarding conference champions from non p4 conferences. 

Edited by Hashtag

23 minutes ago, Hashtag said:

I can't edit this post but the bracket looks as follows:

image.thumb.png.ec81792c1eea15e09c8164f871f9f708.png

The first two rounds will be hosted on higher seed campus and the semi-final and finals will be played at rotation of NY6 bowl locations.

I think that is off,, I believe the conference champs get preferential treatment, So moving people to their current spots.. You would have had Arizona/Ok State out of the Big 12. Teams like Bama and Washington would have been at large teams. 

1 minute ago, codaxx said:

I think that is off,, I believe the conference champs get preferential treatment, So moving people to their current spots.. You would have had Arizona/Ok State out of the Big 12. Teams like Bama and Washington would have been at large teams. 

It's not off....it's taken from the CFP final rankings last year then using the AP "Also receiving notes" section to fill in the final seeds. You may seldom get a non p4 conference champ ranked higher ofc depending on the year(See Cincy from the year they made the CFP as a 4. 

Edited by Hashtag

3 minutes ago, Hashtag said:

It's not off....it's taken from the CFP final rankings last year then using the AP "Also receiving notes" section to fill in the final seeds. 

I understand that, but it is not indicative of how it will look this year and going forward. A snap shot from 1924 would be just as helpful. The top 4 seeds are likely to be the SEC, Big 10, ACC, and Big 12 champions. 

Edited by codaxx

3 minutes ago, codaxx said:

I understand that, but it is not indicative of how it will look this year and going forward. A snap shot from 1924 would be just as helpful

Okay then why are you commenting? It's all hypothetical anyway....it's a far better format than the 12 team current proposal and the 14 team potential proposal. It uses results from last year to give an idea of how it could look. 

The 5 highest rated conference champions are seeded accordingly 1-5.

6-11 is highest ranked teams

12-16 is highest ranked conference champions 

You wouldn't rank Boise State a 5 seed in any circumstance in a tournament. 

Edited by Hashtag

9 minutes ago, Hashtag said:

Okay then why are you commenting? It's all hypothetical anyway....it's a far better format than the 12 team current proposal and the 14 team potential proposal. It uses results from last year to give an idea of how it could look. 

The 5 highest rated conference champions are seeded accordingly 1-5.

12-16 is highest ranked conference champions 

For 2023 it was

The 5 highest rated power 5 conference champions are seeded accordingly 1-5.

12-16 is highest ranked conference champions by seeding

For 2024 it would be:

The 4 highest rated power 4 conference champions 1-4

5-11 would be highest ranked at large teams

12-16 would be highest ranked conference champions by seeding

Edited by Hashtag

Just now, Hashtag said:

I am commenting, because it should look something like this

#1 Michigan (or Wash)- Big 10

#2 Texas (or Bama)- SEC

#3 FSU - ACC

#4 Arizona - Big 12

Your at -large teams will be Bama, Georgia, Washington, OSU, Oregon and Mizzu. PSU and Ole Miss are out for the likes of Boise State and Miami (OH). The 4 slots for the G5 is going too far and I can not imagine media endorsing that idea. 

Just now, codaxx said:

I am commenting, because it should look something like this

#1 Michigan (or Wash)- Big 10

#2 Texas (or Bama)- SEC

#3 FSU - ACC

#4 Arizona - Big 12

Your at -large teams will be Bama, Georgia, Washington, OSU, Oregon and Mizzu. PSU and Ole Miss are out for the likes of Boise State and Miami (OH). The 4 slots for the G5 is going too far and I can not imagine media endorsing that idea. 

Because I based it off of 2023 and mistyped 2024 season. I was basing off of last years season and rankings. The board here doesn't give enough time to edit. 

1 minute ago, Hashtag said:

Because I based it off of 2023 and mistyped 2024 season. I was basing off of last years season and rankings. The board here doesn't give enough time to edit. 

I understand that, but the landscape of CFB changes dramatically this year. OU and Texas to the SEC. Oregon, USC, UCLA, and Washington to the Big 10. There isnt even a Pac 10 going forward. When you are projecting a 16 team playoff for 2024 and beyond, you need to factor that in. It completely changes how things are going to look. 

20 minutes ago, Hashtag said:

That's why the game is played. You can stick to your "eye ball" test all you want but just play the games. You're argument that there is not enough spots is laughable. You are only putting aside 9 spots for conference champions moving forward. Four of those spots are power 4 conference teams. Then you essentially have a the top 7 of the rest starting in 2024. So you basically get all the top 10-11 teams a spot in the playoff plus rewarding conference champions from non p4 conferences. 

Why should they reward non P4 champions? A football season is too short, and there’s not a big enough sample size to include those teams. Making a case for a fringe top 40 team in the playoff is ridiculous.