What is Bohl’s problem?

This may be a few days d but his article griping about Sarks contract popped up in my feed. Good to know he personally would have give. Him $8 instead of $10…. Compares it to Jumbo’s deal.  The two are not remotely the same.   Why does this guy go out of his way to talk trash about Texas?  Slow news cycle I guess?

I don't believe 8 would have gotten it done. Does he not remember Alabama's HC Job Open and offered to Sark at the same time as the deal was being worked? 

Plus 10 per is going rate for coaches who build playoff teams. Aggies gave it to a coach who had built nothing for them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Shane said:

No idea who that is. For Sark to get Texas to the playoffs in 3 years says he is and will be worth his contract. Seems the guy might just be a hater 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sports writer for the AAS. At least he used to be, I'm not sure if he's still with AAS but I'd bet he is

17 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Sports writer for the AAS. At least he used to be, I'm not sure if he's still with AAS but I'd bet he is

Thanks for the info ! Seems like for him to compare Sark with Jimbo maybe he shouldn’t be a sports writer. Jimbo got his money from what he did at another school. 

1 hour ago, Shane said:

No idea who that is. For Sark to get Texas to the playoffs in 3 years says he is and will be worth his contract. Seems the guy might just be a hater 🤷🏻‍♂️

He’s been a sportswriter in austin for decades.  Just seems to go out of his way to dump on Texas.   This particular article is just nothing more than useless.  

When you see a headline like "Should Texas be worried about a Jimbo Fisher ending to Steve Sarkisian's new deal?", keep in mind that the guy who writes the headline is not the same guy who writes the article. 

Here's the column if anybody actually wants to read it:

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/longhorns/football/2024/02/22/texas-football-coach-steve-sarkisian-new-contract-10-3-million-was-right-choice-for-longhorns/72691221007/

Bohls simply says that he would have preferred that UT raise Sark to $8M and include a $2M bonus for a natty, and I agree with him.

• Haha 1

Bohls and everyone else on the Texas football beat at AAS have been a joke for years. Just a group of antagonistic and bitter journalists that have been a net negative for the program for decades. Whoever's been in charge all these years should be ashamed of themselves. I'm not expecting the local paper to be rah-rah fans, but the cynicism that emanates from these group of hacks is embarrassing. Never forget that Bohls didn't vote for VY for Heisman in 2005 or Colt McCoy later on. 

And yes, whoever writes the headlines should have been let go a long time ago. The Hookem.com (@bevobeat) Twitter account has 23k+ followers, and they maybe get an average of 2-3 likes or retweets on any given article. Just a complete wasteland due to years of negative coverage. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BubbaJacques said:

When you see a headline like "Should Texas be worried about a Jimbo Fisher ending to Steve Sarkisian's new deal?", keep in mind that the guy who writes the headline is not the same guy who writes the article. 

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/longhorns/football/2024/02/22/texas-football-coach-steve-sarkisian-new-contract-10-3-million-was-right-choice-for-longhorns/72691221007/

Bohls simply says that he would have preferred that UT raise Sark to $8M and include a $2M bonus for a natty, and I agree with him.

Right, but why does he care?  He’s not the one writing the check.  And if Texas thinks it has its guy, why risk allowing him to be money whipped into changing jobs?  The going rate for a CFP coach is $10 mil. On its own, the article may be just an opinion piece.  But follow his series of writing and it just comes across as unnecessarily negative. 

Edited by Orngblud05
  • Hook 'Em 1

Sark was a $8 million per year coach right after season (3 million raise) ended with poor coaching job for playoff game. Really didnt have team ready for Washington and ran with scripted plays instead of ramming them up throat. PK had horrible gameplan as well approved by Sark. However with Saban retiring and Bama putting out feelers for Sark we had no option but to give him $10 million plus.

5 hours ago, BubbaJacques said:

Thank you for making this point. Everyone piles on Bohls reflexively.  For many years the AAS was the only source for credible Texas football coverage.  Those days are long gone but Kirk doesn’t deserve the vitriol.  He regularly responded to email communications from me back in those days when he was under no obligation to do so.  I don’t always agree with him but his opinions are informed & genuine.  Unlike others at the AAS he is a Longhorn and does enjoy seeing the team succeed.

13 hours ago, BubbaJacques said:

Then you would have lost Sark to Bama....

10m is the market, it doesn't matter what you like or your preference is. If you want to keep a coach and think he's the guy for your program, which Sark has demonstrated by having our best season since 2009 then you're going to pay in that 10m range, period.

Edited by Hashtag

7 hours ago, Brad Chesney said:

Thank you for making this point. Everyone piles on Bohls reflexively.  For many years the AAS was the only source for credible Texas football coverage.  Those days are long gone but Kirk doesn’t deserve the vitriol.  He regularly responded to email communications from me back in those days when he was under no obligation to do so.  I don’t always agree with him but his opinions are informed & genuine.  Unlike others at the AAS he is a Longhorn and does enjoy seeing the team succeed.

Kirk 100% deservers the vitriol. As @Hank Kingsley stated above the AAS and Bohls at this point are a net negative for the program.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/26/2024 at 6:42 PM, Hank Kingsley said:

Bohls and everyone else on the Texas football beat at AAS have been a joke for years. Just a group of antagonistic and bitter journalists that have been a net negative for the program for decades. Whoever's been in charge all these years should be ashamed of themselves. I'm not expecting the local paper to be rah-rah fans, but the cynicism that emanates from these group of hacks is embarrassing. Never forget that Bohls didn't vote for VY for Heisman in 2005 or Colt McCoy later on. 

And yes, whoever writes the headlines should have been let go a long time ago. The Hookem.com (@bevobeat) Twitter account has 23k+ followers, and they maybe get an average of 2-3 likes or retweets on any given article. Just a complete wasteland due to years of negative coverage. 

Nailed it!NAILEDIT.jpeg.44ebc814ac10aa386a774abd1b0b3b7c.jpeg