Ryan Williams Update

11 minutes ago, horns96 said:

“Crystal balls” are 100% Auburn.

Yeah but reading Bama Boards etc I think last weekend changed that. I bet he ends up at Bama. Bond leaving opened up playing time and think he would kill in that offense.

Wish he would have at least came here for 1 visit . He went to A$M to visit. But got a feeling he and KJ end up at Bama. SEC recruiting gotta love it!

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Bobby Burton said:

I don’t think Lacey is coming in either. But I don’t think that impacts his recruitment either.

No clue on the DL coach hire at this point. I know Wright was a coach of some interest, but I do not know if he had ever been offered the job - even now.

Even if Wright was the candidate and would have taken the job, I don’t see this as some botch job by Sark. Sark is perfectly capable of finding a good DL coach who can coach and recruit. It’s not like they don’t exist out there.

I don’t say that to sound cavalier, just that I think people need to be patient and let the end result tell the story. And as of right now, there is no end result until someone is hired.

I bet Kacey and Williams are realizing even at the same school maybe they would only play one year together at best.

Now Ryan will have to hope for some QB and OC.

• Hook 'Em 1

I never really had high hopes for Williams and totally understand why he would go with Bama or Auburn. We have some really good young talent and transfers at WR so this doesn't sting as bad.

What's great about what I am seeing from our program now is we are becoming a preferred destination for elite recruits rather than the last 10 years of hoping and praying we can get one 5 star.

I took recruiting during the Mack years for granted. I won't be doing that anymore. I love this team and the culture Sark is building for his players.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, TTown said:

Yeah but reading Bama Boards etc I think last weekend changed that. I bet he ends up at Bama. Bond leaving opened up playing time and think he would kill in that offense.

Wish he would have at least came here for 1 visit . He went to A$M to visit. But got a feeling he and KJ end up at Bama. SEC recruiting gotta love it!

Not so sure about that KJ statement. Sark remains the reason why he chose Texas and that hasn’t changed.

Furthermore, DeBoer’s young QB just followed from Washington to Tuscaloosa so it’s not a better QB situation for him somehow. 

• Hook 'Em 3

It's a shame, but not really unexpected. WR is pretty loaded and he could see the field much sooner at Auburn. We already had 4 guys commit and sign with Texas, plus 3 from the portal. I'm assuming Auburn and Bama have been putting the pressure on him.

Best of luck to the kid and hope he finds a good fit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Chewie said:

Would have been found money.  I believe the recruitment became a lot harder for us once he reclassified to 2024.  We signed a lot of wide receivers out of high school and in the portal this year.

Auburn and Alabama offer him quicker paths to play, plus the heavy in-state pressure.

I think if he was '25, we would've had a better chance. But it's not like if he goes to Auburn there isn't a loaded WR room there. Don't they already have 2 other 5 star WR's committed and got some guys through the portal? Only problem is, their QB situation isn't so great. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TooBrokeToPayAttention21 said:

The reports that Williams was texting with Arch before he cancelled his visit are they true you think? If so, is the bloom starting to come off that rose a little bit?  Do you think Arch told him to do what we needs to do try out Alabama or Auburn and if it doesn't work out come to Texas next year? Both? 🤘

I think the pressure to stay in state and closer to home is too great. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The moment that Alabama and Auburn allow Texas and "Sark & Co" to go into their state and hand pick 5  players away from both of those in-state major college football programs, is the moment both of those programs concede recruiting dominance in their own state, which would be a nightmare for them in terms of optics on the national recruiting stage.

Both Alabama and Auburn had to make huge aggressive moves to not allow Ryan Williams to leave the state. 

Maybe if we had not just restocked our WR room, we'd be able to pitch to Williams that he'd have playing time very early. We're victims of our own success with Williams, which is never a bad problem to have. 🤘

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, Bobby Burton said:

You’re correct. I don’t know that Sark feels that there is an urgency. He certainly hasn’t acted like it. Remember, it’s not unprecedented either. Sark took the WR coach well into January last year, too.

For reference, Marion announced he was leaving on January 8. Texas announced it was hiring Chris Jackson on January 24. That is 16 days. 

Bo Davis to LSU was announced on January 10 and it is now the 24th. Even if the search takes several more days, the timeline isn't unusual. Frankly, I'd rather Sark take his time and get the hire right than rush things and get suboptimal results. I know there is concern about recruiting, but that's a problem that affects us for a season. Hiring the wrong coach can affect us for years. 

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

For reference, Marion announced he was leaving on January 8. Texas announced it was hiring Chris Jackson on January 24. That is 16 days. 

Bo Davis to LSU was announced on January 10 and it is now the 24th. Even if the search takes several more days, the timeline isn't unusual. Frankly, I'd rather Sark take his time and get the hire right than rush things and get suboptimal results. I know there is concern about recruiting, but that's a problem that affects us for a season. Hiring the wrong coach can affect us for years. 

I think the recruiting angle is a bit over-played. It would have been nice to have a coach for Junior day. This is the meet and greet phase of the recruiting season. It will heat up in the spring/summer. Once you missed Junior day, does it matter if it takes another week or 2? This is also a Texas team coming off a playoff berth. Kids may not always say yes, but they will at least listen to Texas 

• Hook 'Em 3