Texas continued Success

This is my opinion only.  Was curious what everyone else's thoughts were.

What does Texas have to do for continued success both this season and beyond?  I believe culture and want to are paramount.  Sark is a first rate coach and recruiter so player ability should be an expectation.  I am not sold on PK to this point.  I believe he is an above average DC but not sure he's a championship level coach.  Case and point lack of aggressiveness with DBs until late in the season last year or a month of prep for U Dub and still didn't have the creativeness to get pressure on Penix.  The game of football is won and lost in the trenches and I am concerned with the lack of depth on the interior D Line.  Who steps up or is Texas going to continue to reach into the portal for stop gap options.  See T Carter from last year's team.  The Longhorns have to develop a killer instinct.  Letting teams stay in games that have no business playing with Texas cost a lot of the younger players meaningful snaps in game.  Given thise opportunities I believe the staff would have a much better read on where focus needs to be given as far as roster construction or staff development.   The red zone issues from last year must be fixed or it will likely cost Texas atleast 1 if not 2 games.  What do yall think?

I think you're wrong about PK. Texas was 4th nationally in rushing yards allowed per game. 13th Nationally in points allowed at 17.5, and #1 nationally in 3rd down conversion percentage. It's elite in the stats that really impact winning and losing.

Could it be better in 2:00 situations? Yep. But suggesting that he's not a championship level coach ignores the fact that we did, in fact, win a conference championship for the first time in well over a decade.

• Hook 'Em 4

They were also outside the top 50 in pass defense and sack rate which is what cost them the game against Washington.  It's going to be a different thing altogether this year as they do not have the arguably rhe best 2 interior d Lineman in the country.  I hope they can adjust and at least get a push from the nt, dt positions to create more opportunities on the interior to force them into our d ends.

10 hours ago, NothinButDaHorns34 said:

I definitely agree it’s worrisome that we’re going on year four of possibly having a below average secondary. People can say they “think” the secondary will be better because of personnel, But I’ll believe it when i see it on the field. 

PK might not be the problem.  Maybe it's Gideon and Joseph. 

I think the reality is that he's a good coach. But... he hasn't had an elite pass rusher since he's been at Texas. That's not on him or his scheme IMO. That's on recruiting and talent on campus.

He's now getting some of those guys. We'll see what he does when he has all the pieces to the puzzle. Last year was extremely encouraging in many ways, especially at the end of the season when they started pressing the corners more.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Bobby Burton said:

I think the reality is that he's a good coach. But... he hasn't had an elite pass rusher since he's been at Texas. That's not on him or his scheme IMO. That's on recruiting and talent on campus.

He's now getting some of those guys. We'll see what he does when he has all the pieces to the puzzle. Last year was extremely encouraging in many ways, especially at the end of the season when they started pressing the corners more.

Bobby have you heard anything on the Arizona DT that is planning on entering the portal? 

2 hours ago, Bobby Burton said:

I think he’s undoubtedly a good coach, maybe even championship level with the right pieces (an overwhelming amount of talent). But the jury is still out on if he’s great and can elevate or coach above his talent pool. 

When the head coach is offensive minded I’d like the DC to be an absolute wizard in the Smart/Muschamp mold. I’d like him to be the CEO of the defense with his handprints, footprints, and teeth marks over the whole operation. 

With PK, I didn’t hear much of his involvement with the Baker and Nansen hires. I don’t hear much about his evaluation and recruitment of players outside his position area. I see things like Patterson being brought in to help at a high level. 

On offense, due to Sark, everything is aligned from scheme, to personnel, to recruiting, and position group coaching. I don’t think you can say the same about the D. 

Edited by Hornmatic

Definitely need to replace PK with Chizik. Case *in* point, dude has TWO national championships.

You know Texas is back when the “Texas didn’t sufficiently blow teams out” criticism returns in full force…It took us 14 years, but we are freaking back, baby!!

image.gif.1b845999b4b73a210b5795db9df5ea96.gif

I by no means think PK is a bad coach.  I think he is an above average to good coach.  I simply don't believe that he is a championship level DC.  Looking specifically at the last 3 years his passing d, sack rate etc has been lacking.  While I acknowledge that he's been low on the depth and talent pool for those areas it is his and the other d coaches responsibility to ensure they are in a good place.  I believe this last 2 recruiting class will help, however there are still glaring issues ( interior d line depth)  that raise legitimate concerns.  Further he had a month to scheme for Washington in the CFP and was still unable to scheme pressure there.