⚾️⚾️⚾️ NCAA Baseball Regionals Thread ⚾️⚾️⚾️

• Moderators

Can’t believe they had that 3rd out in the bag and instead gave up 2 more on back to back batters. And with a seasoned vet making that error at that. Feel bad for him but you can’t do that with a game this big on the line. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Blake Munroe said:

Can’t believe they had that 3rd out in the bag and instead gave up 2 more on back to back batters. And with a seasoned vet making that error at that. Feel bad for him but you can’t do that with a game this big on the line. 

...bunch of guys playing out of position all year resulting in a lot of really bad defense.  Last season ended on a routine flyball. 

How do we not have an elite defensive SS? Flores at 3B and Powell at 2B would seem like a much better defensive infield. Two things Augie always had to anchor his defense, SS and C. Pierce has neither and tomorrow is likely his last day coaching at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Blake Munroe said:

Personally, I don’t feel bad for him at all. Those were routine plays with easy throws. He should be shamed and ridiculed for costing us this game. Sorry if that’s too real for this board, you can delete if need be. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Neil Leininger said:

How do we not have an elite defensive SS? Flores at 3B and Powell at 2B would seem like a much better defensive infield. Two things Augie always had to anchor his defense, SS and C. Pierce has neither and tomorrow is likely his last day coaching at Texas.

Faltine was a ++ defensive SS, but that seems like a decade ago.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, horns96 said:

...bunch of guys playing out of position all year resulting in a lot of really bad defense.  Last season ended on a routine flyball. 

Who is playing out of position? Powell is considered a very strong 3B and Flores has been solid all year.

You also reference a fly ball last year that landed between two of the best defensive outfielders we’ve had in the last 20 years.

Edited by Assistant Regional Manager

23 minutes ago, Assistant Regional Manager said:

Who is playing out of position? Powell is considered a very strong 3B and Flores has been solid all year.

You also reference a fly ball last year that landed between two of the best defensive outfielders we’ve had in the last 20 years.

All it takes in one "oh crap" to erase a seasons worth of attaboys.  They will be remembered for this game for years, and not in a good way. You have to play your best when the lights shine the brightest and they simply did not.

5 hours ago, Assistant Regional Manager said:

It doesn’t matter if Flores was solid all year. He choked in the most important moment, twice.

6 hours ago, Hashtag said:

Personally, I don’t feel bad for him at all. Those were routine plays with easy throws. He should be shamed and ridiculed for costing us this game. Sorry if that’s too real for this board, you can delete if need be. 

We need to execute on routine plays for sure. But suggesting we shame and ridicule a college kid for making an error is the opposite of what makes Texas a better place than our rivals. Is that how you would want to be treated, or your son if he made an error? I hope not. This team has taken the path of most resistance all season and has still earned themselves an opportunity to play for a chance to go to the college World Series. These guys are fighters and I’m excited to see how a they can take an error an turn it into motivation to come back and play like they know they can today. These guys didn’t HIT well at all yesterday and we can argue regardless if the errors that if we hit the ball better we wouldn’t have been in extra innings to begin with. Should we ridicule and shame all those players who didn’t hit well too? 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Hashtag said:

Shamed and ridiculed? Really?

• Hook 'Em 3

• Moderators

Went back and rewatched a lot of it this morning. No doubt crucial errors cost Texas this game. They beat themselves, hands down. 

I’ve always said (and tell my oldest two) big time players make big time plays. Last night those plays were needed, but it didn’t happen. 

I feel terrible for them all, but you have to execute, especially on routine plays. And there was a clear lack of execution last night by multiple players. Not just one. 

I wonder what Augie would have said in that locker room last night after the game. 😳

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1