Riley Pettijohn

Not too hot on Pettijohn. He backed off when Texas went after Faraimo. Looks like now that Faraimo is clearly Notre Dame, he's back to maybe coming along. Not sure that's what Sark would call a "culture" fit. But Sark knows better than me.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

43 minutes ago, harveycmd said:

Not too hot on Pettijohn. He backed off when Texas went after Faraimo. Looks like now that Faraimo is clearly Notre Dame, he's back to maybe coming along. Not sure that's what Sark would call a "culture" fit. But Sark knows better than me.

In the past, recruits who went to Catholic high schools/prep schools often had moms with a fondest wish for their sons to graduate from Notre Dame. If the son played football for the Irish, well, it was a nice bonus but not as important as earning that ND degree.

After Faraimo visited Texas, I was optimistic about him and the Longhorns. However, as his recruitment has developed, I've been reminded of those strong family desires and how hard it is for some young men to go against Mom's wishes.

I don't have any personal information about Faraimo, but if he goes to ND it might be those family dynamics are still at play. I'm sure Gerry will let us know when it's all done in December.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, harveycmd said:

I think we went after Faraimo after things with Pettijohn started to look less certain. I think Pettijohn wants to be at Texas so I’m hoping we can make it all work out. 

• Hook 'Em 4

18 minutes ago, Jc Dobbs said:

In the past, recruits who went to Catholic high schools/prep schools often had moms with a fondest wish for their sons to graduate from Notre Dame. If the son played football for the Irish, well, it was a nice bonus but not as important as earning that ND degree.

After Faraimo visited Texas, I was optimistic about him and the Longhorns. However, as his recruitment has developed, I've been reminded of those strong family desires and how hard it is for some young men to go against Mom's wishes.

I don't have any personal information about Faraimo, but if he goes to ND it might be those family dynamics are still at play. I'm sure Gerry will let us know when it's all done in December.

Is he Catholic? If so, there are plenty of private Catholic schools with better academic credentials than Notre Dame. I'm thinking his primary concern is getting ready for the NFL, not a Catholic education. Furthermore, Texas is a better overall academic institution than ND. Now, I'm not saying ND is a bad football choice for a linebacker, but it's not a better educational option.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, harveycmd said:

I'd caution anyone and everyone to talk about "culture" prior to them getting on campus, especially if its surrounding an early decision or what have you. It just doesn't translate in that way at all.

• Hook 'Em 12
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Bobby Burton said:

I'd caution anyone and everyone to talk about "culture" prior to them getting on campus, especially if its surrounding an early decision or what have you. It just doesn't translate in that way at all.

If it was a culture issue, Sark would have shut down communication. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I will say when I mentioned a few months ago that Pettijohn started drifting away in late May, early June after Texas went after Faraimo, Gerry said he agreed. That's not necessarily a culture problem, but it can't just be wished away either. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, harveycmd said:

I will say when I mentioned a few months ago that Pettijohn started drifting away in late May, early June after Texas went after Faraimo, Gerry said he agreed. That's not necessarily a culture problem, but it can't just be wished away either. 

Why would a kid stay engaged if he senses that he is not the priority anymore? Texas showed more interest in Faraimo so Pettijohn drifted toward the school that still had him as their number one. Kids do that sort of thing all the time

43 minutes ago, Rhenk6768 said:

Why would a kid stay engaged if he senses that he is not the priority anymore? Texas showed more interest in Faraimo so Pettijohn drifted toward the school that still had him as their number one. Kids do that sort of thing all the time

I think there were external factors besides him being a badass LB, which he is, that made us pivot a bit. Regardless, I hope we get back on him… makes too much sense for him to be at Texas. 

7 hours ago, harveycmd said:

Faraimo has always been clearly ND.

1 hour ago, Texasborn91 said:

I think there were external factors besides him being a badass LB, which he is, that made us pivot a bit. Regardless, I hope we get back on him… makes too much sense for him to be at Texas. 

Agrred

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Rhenk6768 said:

You know that for sure?  Or did he/the family go cold on Texas bc of NIL or whatnot that caused Texas to push all in on MF?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Orngblud05 said:

You know that for sure?  Or did he/the family go cold on Texas bc of NIL or whatnot that caused Texas to push all in on MF?

Texas went all in on MF but it was always a long shot to land him so Pettijohn went to the school that treated him as priority. Seems like a miscalculation at the time and even right now in hindsight. 

2 hours ago, Hashtag said:

Texas went all in on MF but it was always a long shot to land him so Pettijohn went to the school that treated him as priority. Seems like a miscalculation at the time and even right now in hindsight. 

100%

I think Mister Harvey medical doctor guy just doesn’t internet like the majority of us, here. 😂 reminds me of another poster on a different board who’s a little…..ehhh, a lotta old school, and sarcasm, humor, or trolling isn’t in the wheelhouse 

On 10/2/2024 at 12:10 PM, Rhenk6768 said:

I don't know. Maybe you don't have to be on top to prove yourself. Was Gunnar Helm first priority when he was recruited? Was Tre Wisner? Even Ryan Wingo wasn't considered the top of the class last year when the Longhorns went after him.

Speaking of Wingo. I'd bet he's not worried about Ryan Williams and Jeremiah Smith getting more pub than him so far. Sark wouldn't trade him. He has at least two years with Arch Manning. That's pretty good stuff. I'm not saying Pettijohn should regret committing to Ohio State, but who is more likely to win big over the next few years: Texas or Ohio State? Since Texas has Arch, I'd guess Texas.

Edited by harveycmd