Film Room | Ewers or Offensive Line or Both?

CJ Vogel

• Moderators

It's been the topic of the last 12 hours or so since the conclusion of the Texas-Georgia game.

The Georgia defense dominated all evening with 28 total pressures on the quarterback – the most pressures allowed under Kyle Flood and Steve Sarkisian. 

Now, Quinn Ewers was not good. But the offensive line did nothing to help the cause. Even with Arch Manning coming into the game, there was consistent pressure on the quarterback.

A few clips in pass protection that were essentially the story of the day for Texas.

• Hook 'Em 4

• Moderators

Here is where Quinn needs to be better. The pocket is there. Protection stood up. 

Ewers does not step into the pocket and remains too deep for his tackles’ pass set. You can see Kelvin Banks’ reaction that shows the frustration. Not a good rep from Ewers here. 

IMB_k2PTOW.gif

• Hook 'Em 9
  • Sad 2

Just now, CJ Vogel said:

Here is where Quinn needs to be better. The pocket is there. Protection stood up. 

Ewers does not step into the pocket and remains too deep for his tackles’ pass set. You can see Kelvin Banks’ reaction that shows the frustration. Not a good rep from Ewers here. 

IMB_k2PTOW.gif

Quinn clearly has to step up here or throw the ball. can not do what he did. If he steps up he has another 2 seconds for someone to come open, and WRs were coming open. 

• Hook 'Em 5

• Moderators

Georgia brings six. Texas has six to protect. 

RB gets blown backward immediately and Ewers gets flushed up the pocket. sack quickly follows. 

Texas RBs try in pass pro, they just aren’t very good at it. Mostly due to their frame. With Roschon Johnson, Jonathon Brooks and even CJ Baxter in the past, at least there was a larger body that defenders had to go through.

Texas is hamstrung in that department currently.  

IMB_VJ0UYX.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, CJ Vogel said:

IMB_k2PTOW.gif

If more and more players get frustrated, Quinn will lose the confidence of his teammates, and it’s all downhill from there because they’ll feel like they have to do more or just give up like the ou guys seem to have done.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, CJ Vogel said:

IMB_k2PTOW.gif

I haven’t been able to do a full rewatch yet, but I did see the 20min ESPN highlight video. This play stood out on there as Quinn’s most egregious self-sack.

Got to think at this time, the learning points are so clear from film. Quinn needs to grow from it, get back to his Michigan game footwork, and turn the page on the last two weeks.

If not, we may just not be a CFP team. Got some front 7s coming up that will do their best to get the same thing done as UGA (especially Kentucky and A&M).

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, CJ Vogel said:

IMB_k2PTOW.gif

This! It’s been a problem the entire time he has been here. He won’t step into the pocket and throws off his back foot. 

• Hook 'Em 6

10 minutes ago, HookemTexas said:

If more and more players get frustrated, Quinn will lose the confidence of his teammates, and it’s all downhill from there because they’ll feel like they have to do more or just give up like the ou guys seem to have done.

That’s where culture comes in. 

4 minutes ago, CJ Vogel said:

Georgia brings six. Texas has six to protect. 

RB gets blown backward immediately and Ewers gets flushed up the pocket. sack quickly follows. 

Texas RBs try in pass pro, they just aren’t very good at it. Mostly due to their frame. With Roschon Johnson, Jonathon Brooks and even CJ Baxter in the past, at least there was a larger body that defenders had to go through.

Texas is hamstrung in that department currently.  

IMB_VJ0UYX.gif

One play I saw the right guard go over and help with a guy that Majors was engaged with and seemed to have handled and as soon as he committed a LBer came right in the lane he left……..sack. I remember Oklahoma last year stunting guys all over the place and left alot of open lanes because our lineman wouldn’t stay in his lane. I’d have to look but didn’t they have like 7 sacks? And we saw that alot the rest of the year. We’ll see teams trying to do what Georgia did last night probably the rest of the way. They won’t be as good of guys as Georgia had but we’ll be seeing them try to bring pressure and make Ewers beat it. 

1 minute ago, Daniel Lovell said:

I thought in the third quarter when we were able to run the ball some and use play action Quinn was his most comfortable and effective but when we had to go away from that because of the score the pass rush did enough to unsettle him 

27 minutes ago, CJ Vogel said:

Kelvin Banks just gets beat here by Mykel Williams. 

Strip sack fumble. Georgia ball. Ewers was going to the far right WR who had a step on a stumbling CB. I believe this was 4th down. 

IMB_d7E0FO.gif

A step forward or forward and a slide to his left helps Banks out a lot here. Kelvin was beaten, but QE standing stock still on the circle aim point didn’t help matters. 

• Hook 'Em 3

39 minutes ago, CJ Vogel said:

Kelvin Banks just gets beat here by Mykel Williams. 

Strip sack fumble. Georgia ball. Ewers was going to the far right WR who had a step on a stumbling CB. I believe this was 4th down. 

IMB_d7E0FO.gif

Quinn needs to step up and slide left. Banks is beat, but Quinn could help by being mobile in the pocket. 

• Hook 'Em 3

@CJ Vogel

Do you have the clip of the first play after the interception by Mukuba? We had the ball around the Georgia 40 and Sark called the flea flicker type play. The WR was covered deep but Wisner slipped behind the Georgia LBs. Wisner might have scored (or least a long gain) if he held onto the ball.

i think the pass was on target but could be wrong. That one missed play “might” have changed the game. Instead we were forced to punt after our defense gave us good field position.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, marathon said:

@CJ Vogel

Do you have the clip of the first play after the interception by Mukuba? We had the ball around the Georgia 40 and Sark called the flea flicker type play. The WR was covered deep but Wisner slipped behind the Georgia LBs. Wisner might have scored (or least a long gain) if he held onto the ball.

i think the pass was on target but could be wrong. That one missed play “might” have changed the game. Instead we were forced to punt after our defense gave us good field position.

Let me look for it.

• Hook 'Em 1