Down Comes the Drum!

• Moderators

Drove by the Frank Erwin Center today and wanted to share some photos of the controlled demolition in place to bring down the former home of Texas Hoops. 

A lot of memories from this arena which will be completely torn down by the summer months.

Leads me to ask what your favorite moment was at the Erwin Center?

2.thumb.jpeg.b5efcbbe91ba04918f6a75a43f2d7928.jpeg1.thumb.jpeg.fd513c1945c9d355ae4bbefabefbd225.jpeg3.thumb.jpeg.06fa03a55f65aea456ac836fa9037459.jpeg
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Sad 2

Watching the Johnston High School Rams (one of the two high schools I went to) play for a chance to go to state championship in 1988, watching Kevin Von Eric and gang wrestling in mid 80’s, and yeah I went to a Beastie Boys concert there in the 80’s 🤦‍♂️

Saw multiple concerts there, AC/DC will always be one of my favorites. But my favorite memory was going to watch Van Halen and the girl I ended up marrying actually went to that concert with someone else but went home with me. 35 years and still going strong. 

• Hook 'Em 3

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, Rillo HOOK EM said:

Getting to cover all the Hoops teams over the years from the Panhandle that made the state tourney during my sportscasting days on TV in Amarillo. Especially the legendary Joe Lombard and all his titles at Canyon. 

Loved the State Basketball Tournament over the years.

My first was when Shaq was a senior at SA Cole

• Hook 'Em 2

I think I was 7 when my Mom took me to FEC to see the Alabama concert.  It's technically my first concert even though I remember very little of it from the nosebleeds.  That being said, I consider AC/DC at The Summit my first concert.  Watching TJ and KD and the great Lady Horns teams of Jody Conradt are probably my best memories there.  RIP.

Class registration and add/drops with no AC. Wish I could remember all the concerts. Also used to work a beer stand during non-sporting events. Once I worked a flower show and carded all the old ladies. Made some extra money on tips.

Went to so many great events there but TJ Ford and Willowridge's two year run will always be my favorite moments.  Never seen a crowd like the ones over those two years. Followed by Kendrick Perkins and Beaumont Ozen vs Chris Bosh and Dallas Lincoln in an undefeated vs undefeated TOP 3 national matchup in 2002. I remember Matt Doherty, UNC Head Coach at the time, looking for tickets from scalpers before the game.  That place was PACKED.

Certainly wasn't taking my CPA exam there! Also, bittersweet graduation ceremony. Great to get a diploma; not so great to leave the 40 acres. I wish now I had taken more time. I crammed my 4 year degree into 6. I still swear my parents colluded with UT.

• Hook 'Em 1