Ryan Williams Update

Getting some conflicting information on whether or not wide receiver Ryan Williams from Saraland, Ala., will still make his scheduled visit to Texas this weekend.

There is some thought that the five-star receiver is shutting down his recruitment. Whether that comes before or after his visit to Texas this weekend, I am unsure.

It will be something we are monitoring over the next 24-48 hours.

View full news

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Sad 1

SECSECSEC in general being what it has been and doubtless continues to be, there is no question that pressure is increasing in proportion to the decrease in Saban-power. This is manifesting in both monetary and personal areas. Expect more, and expect the roster bleeding to slow to nothing... or NIL.

• Hook 'Em 1

Too bad with Williams but the Horns still look great with the young receiver crop coming in early (Wingo, Butler, Livingstone). I'm not too worried about WR any longer as Sark has proven he can grab quality players out of the portal if needed.

• Hook 'Em 7

Bobby, will Lacey still visit this coming weekend? On a subject I and lots of people are interested in; do you have any new intel on new DL coach  candidates? Do you feel that Sarkisian might have botched the DL coaching search by misreading the Wright situation? Your opinion is always appreciated. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Ronald Dayto said:

Bobby, will Lacey still visit this coming weekend? On a subject I and lots of people are interested in; do you have any new intel on new DL coach  candidates? Do you feel that Sarkisian might have botched the DL coaching search by misreading the Wright situation? Your opinion is always appreciated. 

I don’t think Lacey is coming in either. But I don’t think that impacts his recruitment either.

No clue on the DL coach hire at this point. I know Wright was a coach of some interest, but I do not know if he had ever been offered the job - even now.

Even if Wright was the candidate and would have taken the job, I don’t see this as some botch job by Sark. Sark is perfectly capable of finding a good DL coach who can coach and recruit. It’s not like they don’t exist out there.

I don’t say that to sound cavalier, just that I think people need to be patient and let the end result tell the story. And as of right now, there is no end result until someone is hired.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Bobby Burton said:

Update: Sounding very much like Ryan Williams canceled his Texas visit this afternoon. 

I wonder if it wouldn't have been an embarrassment of riches. Someone was bound to feel left out and bounce. I'm very happy with the WR room at this point.

• Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, Bobby Burton said:

I don’t think Lacey is coming in either. But I don’t think that impacts his recruitment either.

No clue on the DL coach hire at this point. I know Wright was a coach of some interest, but I do not know if he had ever been offered the job - even now.

Even if Wright was the candidate and would have taken the job, I don’t see this as some botch job by Sark. Sark is perfectly capable of finding a good DL coach who can coach and recruit. It’s not like they don’t exist out there.

I don’t say that to sound cavalier, just that I think people need to be patient and let the end result tell the story. And as of right now, there is no end result until someone is hired.

With Savea committing today doesn't that lessen the urgency to hire a DT coach? Is there anyone else in the portal that Texas would be interested in (at DT)?

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Baron said:

With Savea committing today doesn't that lessen the urgency to hire a DT coach? Is there anyone else in the portal that Texas would be interested in (at DT)?

You’re correct. I don’t know that Sark feels that there is an urgency. He certainly hasn’t acted like it. Remember, it’s not unprecedented either. Sark took the WR coach well into January last year, too.

• Hook 'Em 1

Would have been found money.  I believe the recruitment became a lot harder for us once he reclassified to 2024.  We signed a lot of wide receivers out of high school and in the portal this year.

Auburn and Alabama offer him quicker paths to play, plus the heavy in-state pressure.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Shorthorn35 said:

Dang can't win em all, and I still like the talent that Sark has been able to add to the WR room through the portal with Bond, Golden, and Bolden along with the young guys like Wingo, Freddie, and Parker 🤘🏽 

Don't forget the '23 class. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Dawnpatrol75 said:

He’s not leaving HS early to ride the bench this season. Williams wants first team playing time. 

This logic makes a lot of sense.  Only possible reason that he would ride the bench is if NIL can fill that void of playing time.

Would have loved having him, but he was never coming here imo . Question now is does he want $ from Freeze or wins from DeBoer? And yes Bama will pay as well for him.

As far as Lacy, never was concerned whether he came or not. QB will never be a problem to recruit her, and if so the portal always there as well.The timeline got pushed back with QE coming back. Lacy will end up at Bama , and we will be fine🤘