Guts Posted 9 hours ago Posted 9 hours ago I get ads bring in revenue, but this one feels pretty bad. 2 2 Quote
MBHORNSFAN Posted 9 hours ago Posted 9 hours ago 16 minutes ago, Guts said: I get ads bring in revenue, but this one feels pretty bad. Why ? Quote
Guts Posted 9 hours ago Author Posted 9 hours ago 1 minute ago, MBHORNSFAN said: Why ? Kalshi is a scummy company that gambles on anything and everything. I’m against sports gambling in general, but Kalshi is the worst of the lot. I even remember Bobby speaking against them in an episode a few months ago. 1 1 Quote
harveycmd Posted 8 hours ago Posted 8 hours ago (edited) I hope they at least remove the banner from the screen. If we get fewer prize picks ads, it will be worth it. I've never bet in my life, so I don't get the attraction. The fact that there are constant gambling ads on all sports products tells me the world is full of suckers, but I guess I didn't need gambling goobers to prove that. Edited 8 hours ago by harveycmd 3 1 Quote
Guts Posted 8 hours ago Author Posted 8 hours ago 2 minutes ago, harveycmd said: I hope they at least remove the banner from the screen. If we get fewer prize picks ads, it will be worth it. I've never bet in my life, so I don't get the attraction. The fact that there are constant gambling ads on all sports products tells me the world is full of suckers, but I guess I didn't need gambling goobers to prove that. Yea less prize pick ads would be nice. I don’t bet either, but the way it has fully taken over all sports is nauseating. 6 Quote
harveycmd Posted 8 hours ago Posted 8 hours ago 1 minute ago, Guts said: Yea less prize pick ads would be nice. I don’t bet either, but the way it has fully taken over all sports is nauseating. I'm glad Wemby called it out the other day. I've watched fewer OTF videos over the last six months or so because of the increased amount of gambling ads. Probably doesn't matter because the amount of gambling ads has only increased. I must say, however, if the banner remains I may be forced to boycott videos. There's only so much I can take. 5 Quote
Guts Posted 8 hours ago Author Posted 8 hours ago 2 minutes ago, harveycmd said: I'm glad Wemby called it out the other day. I've watched fewer OTF videos over the last six months or so because of the increased amount of gambling ads. Probably doesn't matter because the amount of gambling ads has only increased. I must say, however, if the banner remains I may be forced to boycott videos. There's only so much I can take. Hell yea Wemby was awesome for that and my respect for him shot up. I’ll still watch OTF because they are great and I do understand needing ad revenue, I just hate that it has to be from gambling companies. 3 Quote
Hookem72 Posted 8 hours ago Posted 8 hours ago 9 minutes ago, harveycmd said: I hope they at least remove the banner from the screen. If we get fewer prize picks ads, it will be worth it. I've never bet in my life, so I don't get the attraction. The fact that there are constant gambling ads on all sports products tells me the world is full of suckers, but I guess I didn't need gambling goobers to prove that. What it should also tell you is they are making an incredible amount of profit if they can afford to sponsor virtually any mid level enthusiast podcast that touches on sports. Look at the number of competing gambling sites now: draftkings, fanduel, kalshi, etc. they all spend big bucks to advertise and they still make a killing. I can write my picks down on a piece of paper and get the satisfaction of being right without the agony of losing money if I am wrong. 3 Quote
harveycmd Posted 8 hours ago Posted 8 hours ago Just now, Hookem72 said: What it should also tell you is they are making an incredible amount of profit if they can afford to sponsor virtually any mid level enthusiast podcast that touches on sports. Look at the number of competing gambling sites now: draftkings, fanduel, kalshi, etc. they all spend big bucks to advertise and they still make a killing. I can write my picks down on a piece of paper and get the satisfaction of being right without the agony of losing money if I am wrong. Obviously the profitability is a prerequisite for the volume of ads. That only reinforces my point about suckers. If these gambling shysters weren't making money hand over fist, they wouldn't be able to afford the nonstop ads. If I don't like it, the only way to voice my displeasure is to alter my viewing habits. I personally don't consider gambling as any less of a vice than prostitution. People can spend their money as they wish, but I don't need to be around it. 1 Quote
horns96 Posted 8 hours ago Posted 8 hours ago 12 minutes ago, Hookem72 said: What it should also tell you is they are making an incredible amount of profit if they can afford to sponsor virtually any mid level enthusiast podcast that touches on sports. Look at the number of competing gambling sites now: draftkings, fanduel, kalshi, etc. they all spend big bucks to advertise and they still make a killing. I can write my picks down on a piece of paper and get the satisfaction of being right without the agony of losing money if I am wrong. Profit? Like all the AI companies that have saturated all everything, but made very little …profit? Quote
harveycmd Posted 8 hours ago Posted 8 hours ago 5 minutes ago, horns96 said: Profit? Like all the AI companies that have saturated all everything, but made very little …profit? Many dot.com and tech companies didn't make a profit for years a couple of decades ago, but now they generate trillions of dollars. AI is situated to be more profitable than those companies because it's built on the infrastructure built by them while simultaneously superseding the previous ceiling, which is why they are all investing heavily in AI. This is beauty of human flourishing initiated by Western civilization embodied in the story of Odysseus. There is an inherent risk in venture capitalism, but the risk in gambling is a different order of magnitude. Another way of putting it is that gambling is a zero sum game; investing in business growth frequently results in increased wealth for all involved. 1 Quote
Alex Butler Posted 3 hours ago Posted 3 hours ago @Bobby Burton has talked about this before, they have no control (unfortunately) over the ads, gambling, political, etc that are played by Apple/other platforms on the podcasts this is not a part of OTF production. Agree or disagree Kalashi, sports books, draft kings, etc make so much money on sports “predictions markets” that they’d be silly not to target every sports themed podcast for their ads. Quote
harveycmd Posted 28 minutes ago Posted 28 minutes ago (edited) 2 hours ago, Alex Butler said: @Bobby Burton has talked about this before, they have no control (unfortunately) over the ads, gambling, political, etc that are played by Apple/other platforms on the podcasts this is not a part of OTF production. Agree or disagree Kalashi, sports books, draft kings, etc make so much money on sports “predictions markets” that they’d be silly not to target every sports themed podcast for their ads. What the hell are you talking about? Bobby owns OTF. He can do whatever he wants. Edited 27 minutes ago by harveycmd 1 Quote
Guts Posted 11 minutes ago Author Posted 11 minutes ago 2 hours ago, Alex Butler said: @Bobby Burton has talked about this before, they have no control (unfortunately) over the ads, gambling, political, etc that are played by Apple/other platforms on the podcasts this is not a part of OTF production. Agree or disagree Kalashi, sports books, draft kings, etc make so much money on sports “predictions markets” that they’d be silly not to target every sports themed podcast for their ads. OTF is partnered with Kalshi. It was posted on Twitter. Quote
Alex Butler Posted 9 minutes ago Posted 9 minutes ago 1 minute ago, Guts said: OTF is partnered with Kalshi. It was posted on Twitter. Oh sorry I missed that one not on twitter. 1 Quote
Alex Butler Posted 8 minutes ago Posted 8 minutes ago 18 minutes ago, harveycmd said: What the hell are you talking about? Bobby owns OTF. He can do whatever he wants. Not once things are posted on the podcast platform. He doesn’t have control over the ads that interrupt the stream. I didn’t realize that they had announced a partnership with them on twitter. Quote
General Grant Posted 7 minutes ago Posted 7 minutes ago I don’t gamble. I don’t care if others do or if Bobby generates ad revenue from it. OU sucks Quote
ClubWhatever Posted 5 minutes ago Posted 5 minutes ago In general the podcasts are unlistenable in hands free mode. A 15 minute podcast lasts 30 minutes. If I am doing something that prevents me from using the fast forward button, then I don’t listen. Quote
Shmatt Posted 3 minutes ago Posted 3 minutes ago lol not worth the thread, not worth being offended over a business trying to stay in business. No one complains about all the alcohol adds for college sports right? Quote
Guts Posted 1 minute ago Author Posted 1 minute ago 2 minutes ago, Shmatt said: lol not worth the thread, not worth being offended over a business trying to stay in business. No one complains about all the alcohol adds for college sports right? Alcohol isn’t ruining sports Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.