What do you consider elite in college football?

• Moderators

The topic came up on Coffee & Football this morning ... if Texas went 9-3 this season and made the 12 team playoff as the No. 12 season would that be considered elite?

On different topic slightly ... what do you guys consider elite in CFB ... here are six teams with the question of where do you draw the line on elite as a fan?

Is it purely wins and losses, or is it post season accomplishments, etc..

Last seven seasons of CFB

Alabama (Saban): 87-10

Georgia (Smart): 86-11

Clemson (Dabo): 81-15

Ohio State (Meyer and Day): 78-11

Notre Dame (Kelly and Freeman): 73-17

Michigan (Harbaugh): 66-19 

Where and why is your line? 

• Hook 'Em 1

The standards are going to be totally different in the future. Schedules will be a step function more difficult than what we're used to. 10-2 may be the new 12-0.

9-3 could be elite if they beat Michigan and Georgia, but drop Red River and A&M games.

• Hook 'Em 5

Elite doesn’t have to mean dynasty, as there are many “elite” teams/programs but only one at a time can be a dynasty.

I’d say 9-10 wins and playoff potential, barring injuries, is elite- because most teams won’t hit that bar.

I think there are very different levels of elite.   Winning a national championship elite lvl 1 winning conference championship without winning national championship lvl 2 making the cfp lvl 3.  All are elite in their own right but def on different levels.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, yoyocc said:

The standards are going to be totally different in the future. Schedules will be a step function more difficult than what we're used to. 10-2 may be the new 12-0.

9-3 could be elite if they beat Michigan and Georgia, but drop Red River and A&M games.

Agree 100% with you

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, hookemrj13 said:

Also, The 9-3 12seed playoff Texas would be a good to great team. Not elite. 

Texas should not be in the ELITE conversation yet. imo. We are on the way, but 1 great season in 10-12 is not elite. 

The question there is this ... if Texas made the CFP back-to-back years ... would that be elite? Only four teams will have a shot at it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Playoffs really takes the undefeated team out of the question of elite. Which is a great thing. It is my belief that this year ten wins and some wins in the playoffs is elite even if Ewers is hurt. If Ewers and Manning go down then 9-3 and a bowl game would be great for me. 

Wins and losses to quality teams can be seriously affected by injury. I consider Texas elite at several positions. You can take one guy out and put another in and see virtually no drop off. Talented depth makes you elite in my opinion. Does Texas have elite depth at defensive tackle or in the secondary? I don’t think they do. So in those areas an injury could affect Texas from being elite. Barring injury at those positions I expect Texas to be able to play for a national championship. As long as recruiting and developing of players don’t fall off, Texas should be in the national championship conversation every year.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t think 9-3 makes playoff. Similar to in the 4 team playoff a 2 loss team is death wish and never made it. 10-2 should be the standard. The difference between really good and elite will be determined if there is ever another undefeated national champion or 1 loss national champion. While a team could be a 2 loss national champion I think that would be considered very good team. 

With the tougher schedules due to conference realignment, I think 10 regular season wins is now the new standard for elite (versus 11 or 12 before).  But this has to be followed up with conference championships (lets call it 2 out of every 4 years) and trips to the semis at a minimum with 1 natty thrown in every 5-6 years.  I'm fairly picky about calling something or someone elite, so I'm really trying to keep this term for maybe 3-4 total teams at any given time.  Georgia, Bama, Ohio St and Michigan are my only teams in this discussion as of today.

• Hook 'Em 1

I can’t extend the term “elite” to all of the Top 12 ranked teams.  It’s too big a group.  Two, three and at most 4 teams are elite each year. 

If we are considering previous year’s performances, then we are now talking about elite “programs”, not elite “teams”.   My definition of elite programs extends to your list of 6, plus a few more. Oregon, Washington, OU, maybe FSU going forward.  Not Texas now, but ask me next year. I based this on the last 7yrs, program who have consistently competed for their respective Conference Title.

This list grows significantly if you ask “which programs have the tools to be elite”

As others have pointed out, P5 going to P4, and more conference realignment to come, the list of elite programs will dramatically shift. And my definition of ‘elite programs’ will shift as well.

I think Texas is in a terrific position to benefit immensely when CFB devolves into the haves and the have-nots.  Cementing our program as elite, with the long term tools in place to build a dynasty.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

The topic came up on Coffee & Football this morning ... if Texas went 9-3 this season and made the 12 team playoff as the No. 12 season would that be considered elite?

On different topic slightly ... what do you guys consider elite in CFB ... here are six teams with the question of where do you draw the line on elite as a fan?

Is it purely wins and losses, or is it post season accomplishments, etc..

Last seven seasons of CFB

Alabama (Saban): 87-10

Georgia (Smart): 86-11

Clemson (Dabo): 81-15

Ohio State (Meyer and Day): 78-11

Notre Dame (Kelly and Freeman): 73-17

Michigan (Harbaugh): 66-19 

Where and why is your line? 

Also, is anybody really gonna pay attention to a 9-3 regular season record if you win a couple playoff games then you’re 13-3 and a national champion. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Solely making the playoffs is not elite. If Texas went 9-3 they would need to win 1-2 games in the playoffs to have a successful season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

The question there is this ... if Texas made the CFP back-to-back years ... would that be elite? Only four teams will have a shot at it. 

That could be part of an elite run. But 9-3 with no playoff wins by itself is not elite. 

Put another way, going 9-3 every year with no postseason success would put a coach on the hot seat at a place like Texas. 

I’m of the mindset that to be elite you need to be a top 5 program. A team that has a real shot at winning the title year after year. Or in the case of an expanding playoff, a top 12 team that makes the final 4. 9-3 in the playoff is not an elite season if you get bounced round 1. Also elite teams & elite programs are not the same to me. An elite program would be more in line with a dynasty.

I believe Texas has an elite team this upcoming season & had one last year. Another year after this season with a top 5 team & that will be on the verge of an elite program. 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, goattalk100 said:

I’m of the mindset that to be elite you need to be a top 5 program. A team that has a real shot at winning the title year after year. Or in the case of an expanding playoff, a top 12 team that makes the final 4. 9-3 in the playoff is not an elite season if you get bounced round 1. Also elite teams & elite programs are not the same to me. An elite program would be more in line with a dynasty.

I believe Texas has an elite team this upcoming season & had one last year. Another year after this season with a top 5 team & that will be on the verge of an elite program. 

That’s where it gets interesting… Notre Dame is the 5th best program in the last seven years in P5 football … they have three seasons of three losses in the regular season in those seven. 

In those seven seasons, they likely would have been in a 12 team CFP 4-5 times. Not a national championship winner in any IMO 

For me, that’s an elite program. But my feeling is if Sark delivers that seven year run … majority of the UT fan base will see that as not good enough.

Going to be tougher than ever to win an NC IMO … so will be interesting to follow the next few years 

I think it depends on timeframe.  If you are using 7 years as in OP,  I would say averaging at least 10 wins and one MNC.  

Now if we are talking a team for 1 year,   I would say undefeated MNC.  

2 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

That’s where it gets interesting… Notre Dame is the 5th best program in the last seven years in P5 football … they have three seasons of three losses in the regular season in those seven. 

In those seven seasons, they likely would have been in a 12 team CFP 4-5 times. Not a national championship winner in any IMO 

For me, that’s an elite program. But my feeling is if Sark delivers that seven year run … majority of the UT fan base will see that as not good enough.

Going to be tougher than ever to win an NC IMO … so will be interesting to follow the next few years 

I agree. Very interesting with the playoff expanding. I think the expectation will always be a natty at Texas so being an elite program could be a moot point if the fan base has dynastic expectations.

I will say that if we compare to Notre Dame over the last 7 years, the biggest difference in the fan base & even national perception will be QB play. If we consistently have a top 5 QB in the country under Sark, which I believe we will, then “national championship or bust” will be a common narrative.

Being elite from a national pov means winning a championship. That will be so important in recruiting. Even though Texas will always recruit well & even more so now in the SEC, if Ohio State, Bama (under DeBoer), Florida St, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, LSU, USC, etc win a national championship in the next 5 years & Texas doesn’t? That will be the difference between being Notre Dame or Saban’s Bama/Smart’s Georgia. I mean Dabo’s Clemson has fallen off recently but that 5 year run they had from Watson to Lawrence at QB I would take in a heartbeat too lol.