Not about the $?

Really enjoy Coffee and Football!!! 

I agree with you guys almost all the time. But not this time!

In my experience when people say its not about the money you can be sure it's about the money! And nothing wrong with that. It represents a generational change financially. Does anyone really think a loving and caring mom will come out and say "... they just won the bid so we took it.?" Never!! They took the money over anything else that was offered because that's what they valued most. It didn't matter who will be throwing him the ball or family members desires or any other of the things Bobby mentioned in his piece yesterday as to why he would pick Texas. In the majority of high level recruitments its just about the money. And Oregon both has it and is willing to spend what it takes to win. 

IMO, everything else said is just cover. Oregon is working off of the same blueprint atm did in 2022 with the same guy pulling the strings and they have both the resources and passion to pull it off. They could care less about impact on team culture.

It remains to be seen how it will work. I think long term its still flawed.  We'll see. 

• Hook 'Em 11

Here's the problem that I can't seem to articulate clearly enough.

I never said money was no factor.

I have said, however, that it was not ALL about the money.

Money is a factor, but not the only factor.

There are many factors involved in making these decisions, not just one.

So I do not think money was the only reason Moore selected Oregon. At the end of the day, I think Oregon actually made a better sales pitch.

This whole line of "wanting to do something different" is nothing more than a sales pitch that was made by Oregon (and it's the same one they have used for decades on others!). It's one that Moore bought into and/or it resonated with him. That pitch may resonate more these days because it's also backed up by NIL and not just shiny locker rooms.

I guarantee you their coaches are saying the same exact line to a dozen other recruits outside of the West Coast footprint.

IMO, Texas did not do enough or have a strong enough relationship with Moore to quash that bs, or they didn't read the situation as such.

It happens. This isn't the first recruitment Steve Sarkisian has lost in his life. It won't be the last.

Look NIL was a piece of the decision. It wasn't all of it.

• Hook 'Em 11

7 minutes ago, Bobby Burton said:

So I do not think money was the only reason Moore selected Oregon. At the end of the day, I think Oregon actually made a better sales pitch.

This whole line of "wanting to do something different" is nothing more than a sales pitch that was made by Oregon (and it's the same one they have used for decades on others!). It's one that Moore bought into and/or it resonated with him. That pitch may resonate more these days because it's also backed up by NIL and not just shiny locker rooms.

I guarantee you their coaches are saying the same exact line to a dozen other recruits outside of the West Coast footprint.

IMO, Texas did not do enough or have a strong enough relationship with Moore to quash that bs, or they didn't read the situation as such.

It happens. This isn't the first recruitment Steve Sarkisian has lost in his life. It won't be the last.

When it comes to life changing generational change financially almost nothing will be valued more. Just disagree with you on this one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This kid was a silent commit and then flipped. Oregon wasn’t even in the picture a short time ago. This is about NIL. He was offered a massive payout that sark wouldn’t match. It’s very obvious. 

• Hook 'Em 4

20 minutes ago, dherring5 said:

This kid was a silent commit and then flipped. Oregon wasn’t even in the picture a short time ago. This is about NIL. He was offered a massive payout that sark wouldn’t match. It’s very obvious. 

Yep! 

• Moderators

For me, once a prospect picks a school in his mind … assuming he’s a highly ranked prospect … he then better try to maximize his NIL headed into an announcement 

People would be crazy not to 

So I think guys are picking a school in their mind plenty of times … then leveraging 2-3 schools headed into an announcement 

That’s what happens when you bring agents into high school recruiting in the Wild West 

• Hook 'Em 6

14 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

For me, once a prospect picks a school in his mind … assuming he’s a highly ranked prospect … he then better try to maximize his NIL headed into an announcement 

So I think guys are picking a school in their mind plenty of times … then leveraging 2-3 schools headed into an announcement 

That’s what happens when you bring agents into high school recruiting in the Wild West 

Well said and on target!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Why would Josiah Sharma choose Texas (ie - make his decision for Texas), then call Bama and Oregon the night before his announcement and tell them that he was committing to Texas…

… then two hours before his announcement, Oregon decides to increase their NIL offer to Sharma.  And he picks Oregon (shocking!).

So much for picking a school in his mind.  At least Sharma had the balls to call the other coaches to inform them of his “decision”.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Glass Joe said:

Why would Josiah Sharma choose Texas (ie - make his decision for Texas), then call Bama and Oregon the night before his announcement and tell them that he was committing to Texas…

… then two hours before his announcement, Oregon decides to increase their NIL offer to Sharma.  And he picks Oregon (shocking!).

So much for picking a school in his mind.  At least Sharma had the balls to call the other coaches to inform them of his “decision”.

Not every recruitment is the same even if they’re going to the same school.

Sharma’s was different than Moore’s whose was different from Brew’s.

2 hours ago, rocketman said:

When it comes to life changing generational change financially almost nothing will be valued more. Just disagree with you on this one. 

It was much, much more nuanced than that. But I know folks are looking for the easiest answer.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Bobby Burton said:

That BS show last night tells it all.  He's a narcissistic and talented dude who likes the spotlight on himself.  @Gerry Hamilton and the rest of media got played by Moore and momma.  It may not have been just $$$, but it was also the shock the world desire in the form of the "I want to blaze my own trail" bs.

Given that his decision was leaked while he was dazzling the world with his essence, and his bitching about it live, I almost expected him to postpone or change his pick to prove them wrong.  But the pull of the $$$ got it across the line.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Bobby Burton said:

It was much, much more nuanced than that. But I know folks are looking for the easiest answer.

I can believe there were a bunch of moving parts. Time to move on. 

And never called to let Sark know the decision as being reported. Terrible on him and his whole camp Mom included to not have the courtesy to do that . No respect. It was about the $ 1st and foremost. Agree to disagree. But hey we got Kenny Baker to get the momentum back.

5 hours ago, Bobby Burton said:

I agree with you Bobby. Some of my observations... I tuned out and didn't watch because I quickly tired of the young man indulging his out-sized ego. I know WRs tend to be divas, but I got the vibe that DKM was really savoring that he was about to stick it to the Longhorns again... first was the LSU commit ( I know he liked their WR as a youngster) and second was rejecting the Horns a second time by committing to the Ducks. You and OTF have interviewed other high school players this year who have impressed me and I especially like their desire to play for Texas. Other nuance factors include the fact that it's hard to believe DKM wouldn't want to catch passes from Arch Manning as opposed to future UO quarterbacks. Another factor is his former Duncanville teammates who are on the Texas roster...he showed them he didn't particularly care to join them in Austin. He showed his family members that he didn't care to play his college football within a four hour drive for them to attend and if he has family in Austin he won't feel the pressure to drop in on them for a visit. From a financial standpoint, I hope his agent made sure the "Delta" of any NIL from UO was large enough to offset the higher taxes he will incur. As you mentioned, I hope he thought about the stability and longevity of the two coaching staffs, and speaking of coaches, if it's true that he didn't make the courtesy phone call to the Texas coaches to say he was going to UO, well, that's a disappointment.

Thanks for the excellent coverage. I wish we could always recruit a team full of Jordan Whittingtons and Shipleys and McCoys, but I understand the world doesn't turn that way. Recruitments like this one remind me that college coaches earn their money.

• Hook 'Em 5

On 7/5/2024 at 12:53 PM, dherring5 said:

Let me just be real clear. You either understand the current state of recruitment with NIL or you’re 75 years old asking your kid how to switch to HDMI 

Edited by dherring5

NIL is unfortunately the double edged sword of college football. The kids deserve pay, but the NCAA, being useless as always, did nothing to regulate it. Now the genie is out of the bottle. If kids want to go to the highest bidder, so be it, and if coaches don't want to pay, then they better hope to develop and get guys drafted. As long as the staff doesn't pull a Dabo, and they stop recruiting the portal, we should be fine.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/5/2024 at 12:37 PM, rocketman said:

I believe Bobby often speaks directly to the coaches. On a previous site, he and others would often go back and talk about how certain players recruitment began and how it ended. It was highly informative. Since Bobby speaks to the coaches and at times the players and families , I believe him when he says it’s not all about the money. Gerry is also extremely wired in to the whole process as well. He flat out tells us in basketball when it’s about the money. I am trusting what they say is true. If I believed it wasn’t I would not be on this site. I have followed them to three different sites because of their experience in this business. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/5/2024 at 2:41 PM, southpaw said:

That BS show last night tells it all.  He's a narcissistic and talented dude who likes the spotlight on himself.  @Gerry Hamilton and the rest of media got played by Moore and momma.  It may not have been just $$$, but it was also the shock the world desire in the form of the "I want to blaze my own trail" bs.

Given that his decision was leaked while he was dazzling the world with his essence, and his bitching about it live, I almost expected him to postpone or change his pick to prove them wrong.  But the pull of the $$$ got it across the line.

What would happen if Moore tore up his knee his senior year? Would Oregon still be there if the injury was extremely serious?

19 minutes ago, Jordan91 said:

I believe Bobby often speaks directly to the coaches. On a previous site, he and others would often go back and talk about how certain players recruitment began and how it ended. It was highly informative. Since Bobby speaks to the coaches and at times the players and families , I believe him when he says it’s not all about the money. Gerry is also extremely wired in to the whole process as well. He flat out tells us in basketball when it’s about the money. I am trusting what they say is true. If I believed it wasn’t I would not be on this site. I have followed them to three different sites because of their experience in this business. 

Don’t believe it was all about the money either.  Personal belief is that Moore just did not want to come and play at Texas.  He obviously had his reasons why, but can’t discount the fact he initially committed to LSU.  Not Texas.  When he decommitted and would talk about his finalist, he glowed about Ohio States program and how hard they practiced.  When he spoke about Oregon, he talked about his relationships with the coaches.  He never once talked about our program in the same light as OSU nor his relationship with our coaches.  The only thing he mentioned was that his mother would be extremely happy if he picked Texas.  He also was very critical of our quarterbacks when he last came in for a practice.  Sort of trying to find reasons to not get excited about the Texas program.

I remember Gerry initially saying it was going to come down to Texas and OSU.  Fact, in early June he was preparing to pledge to Ohio State.   Now,  he may have given Texas a silent on his official visit, but I believe that was more pressure from being around his family than anything.  So that could be the reason he elected not to call the staff and inform them of his final decision. At the end of the day, Bobby and Gerry could both be right.  It was not all about the money and Texas may have been out recruited.  However, Dakorien had multiple opportunities to pledge to Texas but he never did.  He pledged to two other schools (Oregon and LSU) knowing what type of season we just had and where our program is headed.  Before his pledge to Oregon, he told some people that Ohio State would be the choice.  

I can’t say that Texas was out recruited.  They made him a priority.  Sark road with him to the restaurant, took pictures with his whole family and told other recruits that he was their top WR.  Maybe Sark thought he was in a better position with him than he really was, but to me it comes down to the fact that Dakorien just did not want to play for Texas.

• Hook 'Em 4