File this for future reference if Texas vs Oregon. Dan Lanning plays Dirty

This was a smart but low integrity call/play. I’d rather my coach be both smart and have integrity, which I think we can all agree Sark is a great model of both. I prefer sportsmanship (beating a team straight up) rather than gamesmanship (beating a team by bending rules or finding rules to exploit). 

As evidenced by one of Lanning’s players spitting on the facemask of an Ohio State player, we clearly have better culture than Oregon. I believe in football karma, and believe/hope this comes back to bite Oregon.

I will say though, I am happy Ohio State was the victim of this. Ohio State and Oregon are my #3 and #4 most disliked teams behind OU and TAMU. 

2 hours ago, CJ Vogel said:

This isn't dirty.

This was definitely a grey area, and I believe less than 100% integrity.

Now, what’s to stop this scenario:

-Punt ball to trailing team, pin them deep with less than a minute to go

-Play every down on defense after that with 12 or more defenders

-Prevent big plays, allow the opposing team to gain 5 yds every 10 seconds or more. 

Legitimately curious, is there anything preventing this from being a legitimate strategy to consider?

In any competitive situation, this is what I would refer to as “cheesing”

1 hour ago, Tuco Ramirez said:

The rule is stupid. I have no problem with him exploiting it. This is more of an NCAA problem.

Would you have a problem with a team exploiting it vs Texas? I definitely would. Now what’s stopping a team from putting 12 players on the field every play in that situation and just letting the offense get 5 yds every 10 seconds or more when time is extremely precious?

1 hour ago, HookemTexas said:

It's not cheating, it's definitely what I would consider not good sportsmanship. It's basically saying I don't think I can beat you straight up so I use parlor tricks.

I equate this to leflop james and his flops which is why I no longer watch the NBA.  Flopping isn't cheating, but it's also not good basketball.  Completely off topic but this is why I consider Jordan and Kobe the best, they didn't use cheap tricks, they just dominated and dared you to try to stop them.

I played Jordan 1 on 1 and was giving him the business until he used those cheap tricks. That’s how I got the moniker that dude 2. This is my story, and I’m sticking to it.

52 minutes ago, CHorn427 said:

This was a smart but low integrity call/play. I’d rather my coach be both smart and have integrity, which I think we can all agree Sark is a great model of both. I prefer sportsmanship (beating a team straight up) rather than gamesmanship (beating a team by bending rules or finding rules to exploit). 

As evidenced by one of Lanning’s players spitting on the facemask of an Ohio State player, we clearly have better culture than Oregon. I believe in football karma, and believe/hope this comes back to bite Oregon.

I will say though, I am happy Ohio State was the victim of this. Ohio State and Oregon are my #3 and #4 most disliked teams behind OU and TAMU. 

45 minutes ago, CHorn427 said:

-Prevent big plays, allow the opposing team to gain 5 yds every 10 seconds or more. 

Legitimately curious, is there anything preventing this from being a legitimate strategy to consider?

What great coach throughout the history of the sport has had 100% integrity, none!

3 minutes ago, Hashtag said:

What great coach throughout the history of the sport has had 100% integrity, none!

That’s a lie. Saban didn’t rely on cheesy rule bending on the field to win games. His teams won or lost straight up. Recruiting, who knows. But on the field for sure, Saban did not rely on cheesy rule bending.

belichik did, but honestly he was pretty much nothing without Brady and just luckily got blessed with the best QB to ever play the game

1 minute ago, CHorn427 said:

That’s a lie. Saban didn’t rely on cheesy rule bending on the field to win games. His teams won or lost straight up. Recruiting, who knows. But on the field for sure, Saban did not rely on cheesy rule bending.

belichik did, but honestly he was pretty much nothing without Brady and just luckily got blessed with the best QB to ever play the game

Integrity isn't something just on the field. Saban had no integrity in recruiting with the way he would bypass rules to buy players out of the HS ranks. You can't whine integrity when literally no coach has it and to be a great coach you definitely have to lose some integrity you may have....

You don't think Belichik knew about spygate, deflategate, or other Patriots scandals? 

Edited by Hashtag

8 minutes ago, Hashtag said:

Integrity isn't something just on the field. Saban had no integrity in recruiting with the way he would bypass rules to buy players out of the HS ranks. You can't whine integrity when literally no coach has it and to be a great coach you definitely have to lose some integrity you may have....

You don't think Belichik knew about spygate, deflategate, or other Patriots scandals? 

Like I said, who knows about recruiting? I don’t know what type of recruiting violations Saban may or may not have had. Or if they were more egregious than other teams. You don’t know either, unless you can provide evidence of it.

What I do know is Saban never cheesed on the field like this. 

I addressed Belichik. He definitely broke and bent rules on the field. I think he is overrated as a coach. He did nothing special before or after Brady. His legacy is he won with Brady. Was nothing without him. I hesitate to call him a great because his success was solely due to Brady.

Sark doesn’t and shouldn’t have to resort to cheesy rule bending strategies to win games. Sark is all about winning the right way and setting up a good program with great culture. Lanning’s not about that. Lanning is about cheesy strategies and instant gratification 

5 hours ago, Atticus said:

Let’s see how he does without a high level transfer QB and Will Stein.

He has a legacy QB in Akili Smith Jr coming in and former 5 star Dante Moore will likely be the starter as a junior next season. Plus c/o '25 recruits DK, Dallas Wilson, and Jordon Davison..Oregon will be fine. Unfortunately 

14 minutes ago, _everyoneshere said:

He has a legacy QB in Akili Smith Jr coming in and former 5 star Dante Moore will likely be the starter as a junior next season. Plus c/o '25 recruits DK, Dallas Wilson, and Jordon Davison..Oregon will be fine. Unfortunately 

Neither of those QBs has close to the level of experience as Dillon Gabriel. 

3 hours ago, CHorn427 said:

The officials have leeway if a team tried to do this.  One Illegal Participation foul can be debated, but consecutive ones would generate harsher penalties.  After the second one, and each one in succession, the defense could/would get penalized 15 yards for Unsportsmanlike Conduct.  

6 minutes ago, southpaw said:

The officials have leeway if a team tried to do this.  One Illegal Participation foul can be debated, but consecutive ones would generate harsher penalties.  After the second one, and each one in succession, the defense could/would get penalized 15 yards for Unsportsmanlike Conduct.  

Is illegal participation still a foul in the rule book? 

2 minutes ago, Haynes said:

Is illegal participation still a foul in the rule book? 

Actually, I should have said Illegal Substitution, which was the infraction committed by the Ducks.  Not sure if Illegal Participation is still on the books or not.  Haven't seen it called (15 yard penalty) in forever.