Michigan DL Coach Headed to NFL

• Moderators

Michigan defensive line coach Mike Elston is headed to the NFL.

A big piece of the Wolverines success from a year ago was the work of their defensive line. Just as importantly for the Longhorns who play Michigan in Ann Arbor the second game of the upcoming season, the Wolverines' DL was supposed to be a strength of their 2024 team. 

That may have hit a bit of a snag Tuesday afternoon as word out of Jim Harbaugh’s LA Chargers camp leaked that Elston will be making the leap to the Pros.

Michigan did not have any roster attrition of note after the first round of its coaches departing to Los Angeles. However, with Elston now leaving, it makes things significantly more interesting for two elite interior defensive linemen, Mason Graham and Kenneth Grant, if they were to enter the portal. 

View full news

• Hook 'Em 8

They can't really transfer now but if you're Baker and PK/Sark you have a couple of months to get the word out through back channel communication and work on them to sell proving themselves in the SEC getting more good tape for a year before the draft. Not sure if it will work but put on the hard sell for the spring transfer portal. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Shorthorn35 said:

CJ are there any ties between Graham and Baker or Grant and Baker? Just wondering how good our odds would be if either decided to jump ship?  Or do you believe that Sherrone Moore keeps those guys in Ann Arbor?

I don't think Kenny Baker has any ties to either player. I think Texas will attempt to create a tie the second either Graham or Grant enter the portal. Post haste.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Shorthorn35 said:

CJ are there any ties between Graham and Baker or Grant and Baker? Just wondering how good our odds would be if either decided to jump ship?  Or do you believe that Sherrone Moore keeps those guys in Ann Arbor?

Didn't see any with Nansen or Huppert, but I bet with Graham being from Anaheim, which is close to Mater Dei , someone on the staff knows someone close to him.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Hookem777 said:

Didn't see any with Nansen or Huppert, but I bet with Graham being from Anaheim, which is close to Mater Dei , someone on the staff knows someone close to him.

Graham is from Servite High School, Nansen has had great success recruiting Servite High School is the connection.

• Hook 'Em 4

46 minutes ago, Bobby Burton said:

Everybody's money is the same color and will be around the same amount. Gonna have to recruit them first and foremost.

It sounds like all parties and money behind UT recently aligned to be ready to go toe to toe with any other program for an elite DT.  whereas I don't think many other programs can say the same.

10 minutes ago, 4thandFive said:

It feels like Texas is way behind many in the SEC re: the DL room.

I don’t know about way behind, but Texas needs to pickup IDL and LB recruiting if they expect to become a consistent upper echelon team in the SEC. As currently structured, Texas is the Lane Kiffin version of Ole Miss, good but not elite.

2 hours ago, Shorthorn35 said:

yes

28 minutes ago, 4thandFive said:

It feels like Texas is way behind many in the SEC re: the DL room.

I can't agree with this. DL is the one position on defense where three star prospects seem to develop. Brown is in and we have our sights set on Orogbo, Williams and Guidry.