D Line coach hick up

IT is reporting Texas may go in a different direction because of a “sticking point” if that guy was Wright I was on board but if that falls through who ever the guy is there one guy I wish coach Sark would call …Coach O

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Texan15 said:

Is Roach a bad option? seems like a very strong recruiter and has stood many years at the top level. Is he off the table? or not willing to come? 

Not sure he would leave Alabama 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think that waiting for the best possible solution is smart and making sure the fit remains strong is even more important but, we are in need of someone fairly quick. We need to maintain stability within the trail!

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Texan15 said:

Is Roach a bad option? seems like a very strong recruiter and has stood many years at the top level. Is he off the table? or not willing to come? 

Not a bad option at all. But he's a Bama grad and has decided to stay.

• Hook 'Em 1

I am sure there are a lot of moving parts and I would bet Sark has more than 1 option on the table. Keep in mind this not a Texas team coming off a losing record. Texas will get  a look from recruits, even if it takes another couple weeks. You can look at some of the late picks-up in the last cycle as evidence for that. Getting the right hire is way more important, than filling the spot quickly. 

• Hook 'Em 4

45 minutes ago, Bobby Burton said:

Interesting. We shall see.

I think it's possible it isn't Wright as choice no. 1. It could be another pro guy who isn't being let out of his contract. Wright would be let out unless he's being elevated from assistant DL coach.

This seemed like it might be the case. I was hoping that we were talking to Ryan Nielsen, but that blew up yesterday. Do you think we're still trying to pull someone from the NFL or would first choice be someone currently in CFB?

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas does now have a veteran defensive line coach on the staff: Johnny Nansen, who most recently coached DTs at UCLA. He’s coached that position elsewhere. Of course, he’s presumably here to coach linebackers, but he can keep the ship sailing for a while as they look for the right hire. And thinking outside the box, does his flexibility then give Sark/PK hiring flexibility? What if a great LB coach is available? Any chance Texas simply puts Nansen over the DTs and the new guy coaches linebackers? 

I have no insight into this, just bringing up a notion on a message board. 🤣

• Hook 'Em 12
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

This seemed like it might be the case. I was hoping that we were talking to Ryan Nielsen, but that blew up yesterday. Do you think we're still trying to pull someone from the NFL or would first choice be someone currently in CFB?

Yes, the NFL.

• Hook 'Em 2

One thing to keep in mind, NFL Coaches have very attractive pension benefits. It can be a tough pull. There is a former Texas QB that was an elite NFL special teams coach that l know well. He was approached during Mack's run. Pension kept him in place. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Realist Horn said:

I hate to be that guy - but seeing it in the title is killing me - It's "hiccup" 

I like Bobby's idea of Hurt, but Seattle isn't moving fast - they have scheduled 4-5 "second" interviews. 

Where'd you hear/see him mention Clint Hurtt? Assuming that's who you're referring to... 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, BigSwingingD said:

One thing to keep in mind, NFL Coaches have very attractive pension benefits. It can be a tough pull. There is a former Texas QB that was an elite NFL special teams coach that l know well. He was approached during Mack's run. Pension kept him in place. 

Yep. Alan Lowry!

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Scott Luedecke said:

Where'd you hear/see him mention Clint Hurtt? Assuming that's who you're referring to... 

I've mentioned Hurtt as well as John Scott with the Lions or even the Lions assistant DL coach who has some Texas ties.

The thing about NFL DL coaches, if their head coaches have been fired, is that they can keep them under contract until a new coach is hired. They also have buyouts, etc.

I do not know who Sark is targeting at this point. I feel confident it has been an NFL guy for a couple of weeks. Beyond that, I don't know.

• Hook 'Em 4

As much as we made - and still make - fun of Coach Sling Blade, I think he'd be a huge splash for us, on our way into the Heart of Darkness we call the SEC. Hell, yeah - make it happen, Sark.

If nothing else, we'd never be passive taking the field against 0U again.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bobby Burton said:

I've mentioned Hurtt as well as John Scott with the Lions or even the Lions assistant DL coach who has some Texas ties.

The thing about NFL DL coaches, if their head coaches have been fired, is that they can keep them under contract until a new coach is hired. They also have buyouts, etc.

I do not know who Sark is targeting at this point. I feel confident it has been an NFL guy for a couple of weeks. Beyond that, I don't know.

Would there be interest in DL coach Mike Elston at Michigan when Harbaugh leaves? 

• Hook 'Em 2